MAZE-A-TRON 1.2 - High Scores

Striving for unique and challenging game play.

Moderator: sinewav

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Re: MAZE-A-TRON 1.2 - High Scores

Post by Phytotron »

Well, with all this scripting and stuff (that, as we know, I don't fully understand), perhaps you can A) allow spectators, and B) limit a player to only a certain number of matches before they're forced into spectator mode and the next in line gets placed? Dunno if there's any way to track order, though—does "create/join team" do that? And not saying I necessarily endorse it; just throwing out the concept of how one might "put a quarter on the machine."
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

screenshot_2.png
screenshot_2.png (4.8 KiB) Viewed 7004 times
Blarg! The only score I didn't get was the very last survival score, because the damn winzone popped up right in the middle of a slightly larger square box comprised of two layers of dead bot walls. "Agh, are you kidding me?!" There was no conceivable way in, so I just bought it. :x

I also got a score of 10,250, I think it was. Didn't catch a screenshot; you'll have to check your highscore log. I wasn't logged in in either case, but you know what name I've been using. Put Phytotron in the high scores list, though, if you please. :)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:...because the damn winzone popped up right in the middle of a slightly larger square box comprised of two layers of dead bot walls. "Agh, are you kidding me?!" There was no conceivable way in, so I just bought it. :x
Hate that! The winzone does expand, but slowly. Try and wait it out if that happens again.
Attachments
highScores20110714.png
highScores20110714.png (20.58 KiB) Viewed 6997 times
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

How much did you pay the server owner to be put at the top of the high scores list sine?
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

:P Yeah that screenshot isn't the best one I've ever made but I think you can still see what my highscore was.
The lost round was the fifth I think, was trapped between 2 bots and another two zones, had to maze the shit out of me to get at least one more zone :
(And idc what name you put in the list there)
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

I'm ashamed that it took so many tries, but I finally got it! I'm pissed that I wasn't first, too, but at least I was beaten by a worthy opponent.
12000.PNG
Use "Titanoboa" in the highscore, if you feel like adding me (:

Oh and some feedback: The server rocks, and surviving can be crazy hard at the end of rounds (that's why it took so many tries. most of the deaths were lag but sometimes the bots just surprised me). However, the zone capturing part of the game could be improved! It took me no more than 2 matches to figure out a safe way to fetch all the zones by just steering the bots with my movements to get a clear path. Maybe if the spawnpoints were slightly random, that would be harder?

Also, since the map is so well made, why not use all of it for zones? The current zones can be just the way they are, and you could add zones to the outer parts of the map that shrink slower than the current ones.

Anyway, thanks for the great pleasure of beating your server. I want more obviously :D
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Titanoboa wrote:However, the zone capturing part of the game could be improved! It took me no more than 2 matches to figure out a safe way to fetch all the zones by just steering the bots with my movements to get a clear path. Maybe if the spawnpoints were slightly random, that would be harder?

Also, since the map is so well made, why not use all of it for zones? The current zones can be just the way they are, and you could add zones to the outer parts of the map that shrink slower than the current ones.
I made the zones easier to get because the bots in the previous version would completely screw you out of them by dying in impossible ways. I wanted a game you could actually beat without too much trouble (because it gets boring fast). All the other things you mentioned are planned for MAZE-A-TRON 2.0. There are limitations to what can be done with zones v1. Moving spawn points and zones around affect arma's ability to assign them correctly, causing weird inconsistencies in game play (sometimes all the zones are yours!).

Also, if you have a fool-proof pattern to get the zones every time you should post it. I found that I used 3 different patterns depending on the level and they worked 90% of the time, but only if I followed the pattern with a ~2 meter tolerance.
wap
Round Winner

Post by wap »

I've done it too. Once you find a way to do it it's pretty easy. :P
Attachments
maze-a-tron.png
INW

Post by INW »

I couldn't get a screenshot but I scored 11375.

You can check the logs.

"Spin" will work for the high scores.
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

Man, I hate this server, so addicting..

Scored 10k twice so far, but I always die stupidly in the early rounds :P

theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

I've noticed something weird lately:

Scenario: Im collecting the zones. Last zone, I head to it, my tail goes through the zone. It doesn't collapse. Ok, maybe I was just close and thought I went through it already. I turn back and (!) see my tail going through the zone, and now I wonder, was this caused my usual lag or just a lame bug or something?
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

theroze wrote:I've noticed something weird lately:
Yes, I think this is because of lag. It's happened to me many times online but never locally. The time it takes you to go through a zone (especially a small one) is a fraction of a second. There is a good chance the server didn't see you "inside" the zone at that particular moment. Aggravating, I know.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Thought of another high score folks can shoot for: Margin of victory. So, you'd want to go back to destroying the AI so fewer get the survival points (which I often did out of spite, anyway, the bastards).
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Dropping the complete set of files here for future reference.
Attachments
maze-a-tron-v1.2.zip
(7.82 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

What about adding a chat command to restart?
That way, you don't need to **** around with admin settings