Adventures Of Tron (the goood old race)

Striving for unique and challenging game play.

Moderator: sinewav

AshitakA
Average Program

Adventures Of Tron (the goood old race)

Post by AshitakA »

I miss the good old race map, (sine’s first one) where it was possible to switch between the different cams. Is it forgotten or just not wanted? Maybe some of you can remember: it was just one map, but so beautiful designed. I hope it will come back someday… sine…bring it back to the grid…
To be or not to be – that is the question:... (William Shakespeare)
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Adventures Of Tron (the goood old race)

Post by kyle »

the map is still up there in AOT- racing. Just mixed with about a dozen other awesome maps. cameras are just defaulted to server custom, Not a bad camera, but I drive better with incam myself.
Magic
Core Dumper

Post by Magic »

Yeah my fav map aswell I wish it was more played in there
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

The "Original" map (Chasm) is still in the rotation, but with some slight changes. Some sections are a little easier where needed, and some are a little harder.

I would totally allow you to switch cameras if Arma would default to Server Custom. If someone wants to write the code to ensure Server Custom is the default upon entering the server, I'll consider freeing up the other cameras.

However, I really think the Server Custom cam gives you the best overall experience. Advanced Racing was actually designed using Incam. But all the top-down cameras prevent you from enjoying the beautiful architecture of the maps and the proper feeling of spatial relationships...

...That and pretty much every racing game starting with Pole Position has a camera like the one I made. There is a reason why Super Sprint isn't dear to as many hearts.
regedit
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by regedit »

O_o is this the one where there as an expanding dz behind?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

regedit wrote:O_o is this the one where there as an expanding dz behind?
I got rid of those because they really didn't cause the type if interference I wanted, which was to keep the race moving. It got you off to a good start, but then you could lollygag around. It looked cool though. The original plans was for zombies that chased you, but I didn't have the scripting know-how. But if someone wanted to write that for me...
AshitakA
Average Program

Post by AshitakA »

Well, at least it did exist and I think you could bring it back without any problems. In my eyes none of the new maps can compete with it. I played a map, that has some parts of it, but it wasnt the same. And even, if it would be the same map, in my eyes an "armagetron" race is a cockpit or incam view like. If you could use weopons like in mario cart, it would be ok. But at the moment its just a race. Also i dont know to handle the glance and what should it be good for? It would make more sense with other alternate cams. Maybe I can bring some changes, thats all.
I have to admid, that I ve only joined the server, that had a load of players. I don't know, if there is one unplayed.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

AshitakA wrote:Well, at least it did exist and I think you could bring it back without any problems. In my eyes none of the new maps can compete with it.
I don't think you understand. The original map is still in the rotation, but there are very slight "improvements" to it. You probably aren't seeing this map because it takes so long to go through the full rotation, like, an hour or so. In fact, just the other day kyle thought it was missing because he never sees it. But it's there, and it still kicks ass.
AshitakA
Average Program

Post by AshitakA »

Yes I played the map (after one hour ;). Its not the same feeling as it used to be. Maybe I cant get used to this cam. Anyway I will keep on fighting for the cockpit (incam) cam.
AshitakA
Average Program

Post by AshitakA »

Yesterday, I played with kyle and somehow he changed something, that gave you a possibility to choose btw the actual cam and the incam. So it would be one step forward to ask him and to set it. It wouldnt take something, it would be just an addition.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

AshitakA wrote:Yesterday, I played with kyle and somehow he changed something, that gave you a possibility to choose btw the actual cam and the incam. So it would be one step forward to ask him and to set it. It wouldnt take something, it would be just an addition.
:roll: He has the authority to turn cameras on and off in the server. He probably turned incam on because he prefers it, just like you. I would leave it enabled all the time, but there is no way to make "server custom" the default camera. Until that happens, incam will be forbidden.