two servers could be available

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

2b|!2b?
On Lightcycle Grid

two servers could be available

Post by 2b|!2b? »

I have two Linux servers (2" thick each, rackable) that I am not using that I can make available for Armagetron - Armagoshdarn loving crowds.
The trick is that I want them to be hosted in an ISP that is close to me so I always have good "pings"! Ah!
I live in Los Gatos, that's near San Jose, California. Obviously hosting costs are a factor. If anyone knows of a tier-2, or tier-3 ISP that is near and has cheap hosting costs, send me an email to [email protected].
Cheers,
locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

Post by locutus »

ask eggcozy, he's in that area somewhere...
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

I'm actually in L.A. and if things go well, I will not be for too much longer. This place is the perfume ridden armpit of the states.

I'm not even sure what 2-tier 3-tier ISPs refer to.

I have a brilliant tech friend near san jose around redwood city who might have suggestions, but he isn't into armagetron.
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

You live in a place called "The Cats"? thats so cool, doesnt really seem like the name of a place though
2b|!2b?
On Lightcycle Grid

Los Gatos - "The Cats"

Post by 2b|!2b? »

Yes. Los Gatos means "The Cats". But not the lap loving creature kind. Los Gatos was named so when people settled there (around 1850) because of an abundance of mountain lions.
I mountain bike ride a lot and I actually spotted one last sunday (July 25) after passing the crest of one of the local mountains on a fire road. Since two young women were riding with us, they decided that being near guys was a great idea.
2b|!2b?
On Lightcycle Grid

Tier-1, 2, 3 ISPs

Post by 2b|!2b? »

An Internet Service Provider with a direct connection to the Internet is a tier-1 ISP. ISPs can also be on Tier 2, 3, or higher, which usually means they lease their connections and other services from a Tier 1 provider.
So a Tier-1 ISP is connected straight to the Internet backbone, a Tier-2 is connected to the Internet via a Tier-1, a Tier-3 is connected to the Internet via a Tier-2, etc...
The higher the tier, the more routers you have to go through before you get to the backbone.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

hey 2b send me one of your servers and i'll modify it to run on my cruddy 44k dialup :wink: :lol:
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif