How breafast Burrito could taste better

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

Digital Logic
On Lightcycle Grid

How breafast Burrito could taste better

Post by Digital Logic »

I like the new Breakfast burrito server.. looks like it the first server that can handle more than 4 clients.. EXCEPT... for those "ultra fast" speed settings..

Here's a mantra we all know, now repeat after me.. "Speed servers exasserbate lag"

So here's a wonderful server.. going to hell in a handbasket becuase of it's settings.

right now it has a 5-6 client max before the lag is so bad it's unplayable..
but if it's slowed down it could probaly handle 8 or more with playable lag.

Normally i wouldn't be this upset over it.. but when you see potential for greatness.. and then you see it squandarded.. it just... it.. .. .. well.. for lack of a more descriptive term.. IT SUCKS.

Hopefully the server admin will recognize that while his intenions of a speedy server are honorable, the lack of playability makes it wasted bandwidth. Then perhaps they'll listen to one of the wisened old players.

<shakes head and crawls back into cave>
DL
You made me drive all this way... for that?!
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

i think all servers should have max_clients 4
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

I agree with you both. 8)
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
Digital Logic
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Digital Logic »

I'm not sure i agree with all servers being a max of 4 clients..
I do believe that all the server admins should play their own server a lot from a remote local and figure out what the magical number is for their server and limit it.

It's fun to be in a madhouse of 12 or 13.. but only if it isn't too laggy

on average i like game of 6 or 8.. 4 just seems too few sometimes.. especially if their is a huge discrepancy in ability.

If i win 3 matches in a row.. I often leave.

DL
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

eggcozy is the admin there.

i usually don't have much problem with lag at burrito. (connecting from philly)
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Zapple »

I like servers with 11, so I can kill the other 10 in 1 round and win ;)

lol
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

'Mac Geek' is right.. :twisted: lol

I know what you mean though. Having atleast 4 and up to ten is good enough for me. 8)
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

Yay feedback. It's like pulling teeth trying to get it.

Funny that you mention it DL, I actually made it faster tonight just for grins (I do lean towards a faster server). I'm constantly experimenting though and trying to get people to let me know how it "plays"

accel was 28, now 32. I'll drop it down to ... hmm ... 24 and see how it goes. If I'm playing though(which I am a lot) I will not hesitate to change the settings if someone requests it, so feel free to ask (in case 24 is too fast)

Also, keep in mind, I'm on a cable connection, my network card is flaky (sometimes I have to wiggle the plug to get the connection working) and now my router is flaking out as well. Router should be fixed soon, I'm sending it back (oh, that means down time), and i'll try to fix the net card. It is not a reliable server though and probably will not be for a while. I have a job too, so no one should expect a class A establishment.

24 setting will probably take effect tomorrow because there are people on it now. I'll wait untill my daily crash to change :D

cheers
Yaza Yamagotchi
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Yaza Yamagotchi »

I like it just the way it is - I find the lag is quite minimal - apart from the occasional burst which I associate with a flakey server connect...

I never noticed any *constant* server lag with breakfast - regardless of the # of players connected.

I happen to love the speed and would hate to see it go to gosh-darn settings ;)
bored of amagetron?
try swron or one of the other fun games @ Arcade Games Online
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

damn, i've been playing so much gunbound these days i haven't been to burrito for ages. no time spent sharing or caring. :(

- Prayer 1 / TheMaskedMoron / Frogmouth Jones
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

slow votes = 1.5
digital
speed (half a vote because it seems he has another prob)
fast votes = 3
me (1.5 because I play it more than most people)
Yaza (1.5 because he plays it more that me ;)

I'll keep it at 24 for today and test it out when I get home from work, probably bumping it up again.

Yaza, what did you think of 32 last night?
Yaza Yamagotchi
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Yaza Yamagotchi »

Honestly... I did not notice the difference, I was playing and trying to pay attention to the tv at the same time though - so I was somewhat distracted O.o
bored of amagetron?
try swron or one of the other fun games @ Arcade Games Online
chills
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by chills »

I like it fast, too. The extra speed is what makes Breakfast Burrito fun and unique. When I want a slower game, I go to 'ish 2.6 or 'goshdarn Clone. I like having the variety to choose from.

I haven't noticed any persistent lag problems on Breakfast Burrito, though a few days ago (for at least one match), everyone's ping was above 400 which made things really jumpy. That was a rare exception, however. Overall, I'm very happy with the server as it is.
chills (249)
aka .5. (32) and Lawmune (22)

My current web browser of choice is Opera 8. Check it out!
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

i have to agree with chills on this one.. its nice to be able to suprise ppl with different tactics which actually work out because of the high acceleration.
Digital Logic
On Lightcycle Grid

you can't make an omelette without breakin' some eggs

Post by Digital Logic »

Just logged off

With the speed settings slower it's more playable than the other day, however, with 8 other players in it.. it was tough. You see there wasn't much lag.. but at those speeds even a thimble full is too much. That's my whole point.

Musta been too much for the server too.. becuase it crashed. =)
(i dunno why it did.. but i like to think that's why.)

Remember the engineers motto.. "Function over form" . If it isn't useable.. it doesn't matter how fast it is.

I'm not asking to make it slower.. I'm asking to make it more playable.
If that happens to mean slowing it down.. then fine. If there is another solution.. go for it. As it stands right now you're sacrificcing playability for speed.. and the server isn't getting the traffic it deserves becuase people get fed-up and leave.

The ony other comment I have is to make the tails a bit shorter..
it's almost too easy for me to box people up. Since I'm one of the few people that seem to use that tactic.. and some players don't see the big picture.. I can wrap up two sometimes three players in a box.

I played earlier today with 4 people on.. that was nice. Now we just need to get people to stop using that bug: double binding.. and hone their skills instead. I hate it when i see promising talent go to waste becuase they rely on that thing all the time.

DL - of the old gaurd