Getting peeved.

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

ishAdmin
Match Winner

Getting peeved.

Post by ishAdmin »

Hello all,

I just signed up so I can respectfully ask a question of the forum viewers. I'm getting annoyed at Kess repeatedly crashed armagetron. I consider this abuse. Regular goshdarn is already shut down because of the same reason, and I've been considering doing the same. It's just not fun for me or anyone else to have someone doing this crap.

I frankly have better use for my time than to deal with this. The easiest thing for me to do is to turn the game off. I'd rather not do that, since I do like to offer the game up for people to play.

I'd like to know if 2.7 has the ability to ban by IP. If it doesn't, I might be forced to be more aggressive in dealing this this, and I'd rather not do this that might impact other legitimate users of the server. I've tried to install the dedicated version, but failed dependencies in libgcc.

Mostly though, I'd like to know your thoughts on how you think I should deal with it. I'm annoyed, and don't want to be.

And nice forum btw.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Re: Getting peeved.

Post by Tank Program »

ishAdmin wrote:I'd like to know if 2.7 has the ability to ban by IP. If it doesn't, I might be forced to be more aggressive in dealing this this, and I'd rather not do this that might impact other legitimate users of the server. I've tried to install the dedicated version, but failed dependencies in libgcc.
Sadly, we have not yet worked out any banning yet. Are you saying the dedicated version of 2.7? That's a new bug too... Can you give us some more info on that? If the server is on linux you can use iptables to block his ip, and/or have an sh script that relaunches the server.
ishAdmin wrote:And nice forum btw.
Thank you! Stick around... It's hilarious here, :lol:.
che
Core Dumper

Post by che »

hello :lol:
that is an abuse by all means
retaliate
me personaly rarely leave tigers, but goshdarn being out caused lot of grieff here, look topic my home and others
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

Are you talking about a bash script? It would like it to rotate a log or two so I can investigate the person responsible and add them to whatever IP ban I use. I'd appreciate you emailing your script to info at armagetron.imagenook.com. I might make use of it with a couple of modifications.

I am not using 2.7, just 2.6. I went to install the dedicated linux rpm's but failed some libgcc dependencies. How about a full binary rpm?
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

thanks very much for hosting the server. :)

unfortunately there's no way yet to control idiots who keep ripgrinding, so i'd recommend simply adding tank's specs which will protect your server from going down. also, i STILL think it would be a good idea to remove the 'cao' section at imagenook. it didn't exactly lead to positive results, now, did it? :(
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I don't mind people doing a rip grind. It doesn't usually crash the game. Whatever kess is doing does crash it of course. I guess some people just can't be trusted with power. Kess knows it will crash it and continues on. That's what peeves me. But in the end, you're right, some people can't be trusted with knowledge. It's not the world I hope we become.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

I have an idea for now. Who ever crashes a server, post the IP address of the person here. That way everyone who runs a server can ban that IP (and/or do what they like with it :)

I'm no longer on devel team but I'll look at how to add an IP ban into the source (I dont think it will be difficult) and give Tank/Marrow the patch if they would like to put it into armaAd ... I'll also post here so anyone can add it to the source.

EDIT 1:

Code: Select all

void ePlayerNetID::CreateVoter()
{
	// only count nonlocal players with voting support as voters
	if ( this->Owner() != 0 && sn_Connections[ this->Owner() ].version.Max() >= 3 )
	{
		tString IP;
		sn_GetAdr( this->Owner(), IP );
		this->voter_ = eVoter::GetVoter( IP );
	}
}
this show how to get the IP address of player, somewhere we need to check the IP addy of the player against a banned list of IP's. A good place for the IP list would be in one of the config files or a new file. ( i would make a new file). IF there is a match either kick or dont let connect. I dont have time to look into it further for now but I hope this helps. Do any of the current developers want to take this on or do you guys want me to spend time on it ?
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

ISH:
> Whatever kess is doing does crash it of course.

i know of two things kess was doing which most ripgrinders probably weren't. still maybe it would be a good idea not to post them. if anybody really wants to know just PM.

> Kess knows it will crash it and continues on.

he's young- 17. i think that explains a lot right there.

> It's not the world I hope we become.

something philosophical just popped into mine head- anytime we try to establish order it is immediately attacked (at least on some level) by chaos. that seems to be the way the universe works.
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

Hey, I'm 17 and I'm not crashin servers! Thats a definate ouch nic. :cry:
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

ishAdmin wrote:Are you talking about a bash script? It would like it to rotate a log or two so I can investigate the person responsible and add them to whatever IP ban I use. I'd appreciate you emailing your script to info at armagetron.imagenook.com. I might make use of it with a couple of modifications.

I am not using 2.7, just 2.6. I went to install the dedicated linux rpm's but failed some libgcc dependencies. How about a full binary rpm?
A bash script to rotate the logs is possible, I think. As for a 0.2.7.0 dedicated-server binary rpm... What version of linux are you on? I think I have an idea as to why you might be getting that error, so just hold on...
locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

Post by locutus »

however you work it out Ish, please do not take down the only other server I can play decent on, I promise to "kick" Kess everytime I see him from now on, till he gets tired of it, he has quite a fan club now and none of them are real happy with him...does anyone else agree with this position?

btw, thanks for hosting ish all this time...
DrJoeTr0n
"On a Roll. Paper wise."

Post by DrJoeTr0n »

Yeah Ish, I go along everything Locutus says here. Pretty much word for word.
nicolas.b
Grid Clown

Post by nicolas.b »

sorry, joe- i knew i couldn't win with that age statement. to make a long story short i'm not sure how else to say it.

anyway, i'm in with the kess plan, i guess. i don't have as much anger over this as i did, but in a nod to marlon brando i'll try to use the method to access what i can.

and btw, i figured out how to double-bind in my gamepad! :D now back to the grid to test...
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Zapple »

locutus wrote:however you work it out Ish, please do not take down the only other server I can play decent on, I promise to "kick" Kess everytime I see him from now on, till he gets tired of it, he has quite a fan club now and none of them are real happy with him...does anyone else agree with this position?

Ahh I remember those days, I would always get banned from Space Zone Server 3. Everytime I went in I was kicked. Crashed it like 15 times.

I have been done with that for a loooong time now, I havent done it since and will never again. Still havent had that talk with Kess yet ishAdmin like I said, I'll AIM him.
Marrow
MVP - Project Contributor

Post by Marrow »

locutus wrote:however you work it out Ish, please do not take down the only other server I can play decent on, I promise to "kick" Kess everytime I see him from now on, till he gets tired of it, he has quite a fan club now and none of them are real happy with him...does anyone else agree with this position?

I agree.