Getting peeved.

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

Majination
Hero Of 2004

Post by Majination »

Banning gets to be pretty darn effective when you implement wildcard matches. You start off with the "lesser-evil" of the ban masks and progressively make them stronger and stronger until they work.

You could finesse the ban mask to make it more targeted to JUST the person to be banned if the game did a reverse-dns.
http://bikecolors.shorturl.com -- ArmageTron Multi-Color Bike Picker
"Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me!" - Ren Hoek
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Re: Getting peeved.

Post by llaffer2 »

:Brad wrote:
ishAdmin wrote: I'd like to know if 2.7 has the ability to ban by IP.
I cant see how this would be effective when a lot of service providers use dynamic IP for there users. :?

Also if added to player police it could cause a normal player being banned by a bunch of loosers who just want to hi jack a server.
while I officially have a dynamic IP address, I've had the same one for months. Unless he's on dial-up, it won't change often.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Getting peeved.

Post by subby »

llaffer2 wrote:
:Brad wrote:
ishAdmin wrote: I'd like to know if 2.7 has the ability to ban by IP.
I cant see how this would be effective when a lot of service providers use dynamic IP for there users. :?

Also if added to player police it could cause a normal player being banned by a bunch of loosers who just want to hi jack a server.
while I officially have a dynamic IP address, I've had the same one for months. Unless he's on dial-up, it won't change often.
while this is true, most people can turn off their cable modem or whatever over night and get a new ip address in the morning when it does a dhcp.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

It means banning a range of IP's ultimately. I might even research the IP's assigned to the ISP in the arin database. This isn't what I would prefer to do, but if it's necessary, I'd like to have the option. I'm not even sure I would want IP banning to be handled by moderators. I would prefer it to be used as a last resort (at least on my server).

But hey, the last two days have been good. No worries right now!