Server shut down until further notice

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

How did Armagoshdarn compare overall to other servers?

#1 favorite
59%
in the top 5
15%
better than average
8%
about average
5%
below average
14%

Total votes: 66

locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

Post by locutus »

you mean like a clone?

:wink:
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

the best server left ages ago 3darcade.com (the original one i helped badazz with not the 3darcade2)

but after just a few months somthing got messed up then later it shutdown :( :cry: :cry: :cry:
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

okay, my final message on this subject here and i'll shut up:
http://guru3.sytes.net/viewtopic.php?p=12023
chills
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by chills »

My eulogy to Armagoshdarn (with hopes that it will be resurrected one day)

Almost a year ago when I was a regular on No Bots, No Brakes, No teams and the Gaminghost servers, I would visit Armagoshdarn to see why it was so popular. I have to admit, the insistence on killing as opposed to surviving, and the emphasis on aggressive dueling as opposed to carving out territory was annoying at first, not just because it was different from most of (if not all) the other servers at the time, but because so many players there were completely convinced that this was the only legitimate way to play Armagetron.

Nonetheless, I continued to play on goshdarn since it improved my dueling skills and made me a better player on other servers. Needless to say, I was hooked. It was just so much fun! Eventually, I stopped playing on the servers that used to be my favorites (they seemed so tame by comparison), and a lot of them went extinct. But goshdarn kept going. New strategies were being developed all the time, and the general level of play got so high that even the new players got good really fast. Of course, they were able to watch and learn from the veterans who stuck around (can addicts truly retire?).

Armagoshdarn set the standard for many of today's top servers. It defined a style of play that continues to live on. It wasn't just another server. For so many of us (here on the forums, especially), it came to define the Armagetron experience itself. It's where a lot of us cut our teeth, developing the skills to become players we could be proud of.

Armagoshdarn will be missed. Here's to the grid. May it be created once again.
chills (249)
aka .5. (32) and Lawmune (22)

My current web browser of choice is Opera 8. Check it out!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

/me claps. That is a most excellent way to phrase it.
k
Random Identifier & Project Developer

Post by k »

chills wrote:I have to admit, the insistence on killing as opposed to surviving, and the emphasis on aggressive dueling as opposed to carving out territory was annoying at first, not just because it was different from most of (if not all) the other servers at the time, but because so many players there were completely convinced that this was the only legitimate way to play Armagetron.
It is the only legitimate way. :wink:
Freewheelin'56
Round Winner

Post by Freewheelin'56 »

Good one Chills, good eulogy but still hoping.
Freewheelin'58 I want Goshdarn back!!
Great Googly Moogly
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

verement did a super-cool "TOP-100" on the front page for the time being.

check it out!
Marrow
MVP - Project Contributor

Post by Marrow »

Thanks for serving games as long as you did, Verement.

Armagoshdarn was my favorite server. Tigers Network Team Play will now be my new home. :)
bombing

Who did it?

Post by bombing »

Whatever punks who were crashing your server should kindly have thier IP's posted.
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

Now don't go bombing someones backyard. You need to to taunt them first. 8)
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
nicolas.b
Grid Clown

Post by nicolas.b »

well, bombing spent the whole night carefully explaining why kess was gay and at the end we didn't have any clue what he was talking about...

then i tried to reassure him that kess was just trying to force an upgrade but he seemed unresponsive to that argument. :(
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

LOL! Are you talking about right now? Tonight?

Bombing has been going off on kess in the game. kinda funny... kinda not. 8)
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
bombing

Post by bombing »

HAHA Good ol moron.

And crashing a server isnt a good way to force an upgrade, asking the admin to upgrade is.

Working off of the fact that Kess is the direct cause of the shutdown of Goshdarn, I feel i have every right to insult them.
Last edited by bombing on Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bombing

Post by bombing »

In fact, purposely crashing a server could be considered an attack.

The abundance of people who think its funny to exploit bugs in the game are ruining it for everyone. This server getting shut down is a prime example of that.