Server shut down until further notice

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

How did Armagoshdarn compare overall to other servers?

#1 favorite
59%
in the top 5
15%
better than average
8%
about average
5%
below average
14%

Total votes: 66

nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

well, bombing... actually i just like to be silly a lot. the truth is, i was as upset as anybody else, which you can easily see from any of my posts in these threads.
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

I am glad you didn't get suicidal nico!

lol, jk jk jk. \

bombing... I also agree with everything you said/say but it just gets old when you badger someone the whole time on the gri.d. It's just a game dammit. Why, I remember when I used to be a noob in a new game's world. I couldn't think about anything else. I ate drank and slept tron. This is not the first problem we have had, and it certainly won't be the last. Time to readjust and if goshdarn returns, hooray!. If not, o well. The memories are still with me. 8)
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
ralphwiggum

Darn was the worste!

Post by ralphwiggum »

Darn was the laggiest server, it bumped me constantly and I always got my ass kicked by all the heavies, especially at home on my crap dial-up. But I MISS IT! I feel homeless, a tron nomad, wandering from server to server, looking for my community... Dammit! Darn was AWSOME! all the best folks played there, if you won a match, you had a real sense of accomplishment. Yes, it was laggy for those of us who connected from afar, but it was GREAT. I miss it. Thanks to the admin for having it up as long as he did.

Cheers,

Ralph Wiggum, AKA Knucklehead, AKA KnuckleHead
Arthur Dent

Armagoshdarn

Post by Arthur Dent »

Just wanted to add my vote... Armagoshdarn was/is a great server... had the best ping for me always and I could always count on someone schooling me each time I logged in! :)

Hope it's able to keep running!

Arthur Dent
Don't Panic
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

lol! 8)
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
Alagan
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Alagan »

I WANT ARN BACK!!!
-Alagan
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Zapple »

Who hosted it?
GrimZy

Post by GrimZy »

Armagoshdarn! :(
Last edited by GrimZy on Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freewheelin'56
Round Winner

Post by Freewheelin'56 »

Hi Grimzy, nice to see ya here. :)
Freewheelin'58 I want Goshdarn back!!
Great Googly Moogly
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

grimzy, i realise your '16 well-known' is outdated now, but i'd like to see it again. is it still up someplace?
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

I was looking for it too and i found it here: http://www.twistar.net/A.html
nicolas.b
Grid Clown

Post by nicolas.b »

thanks, lack. and hope to play some GB with you soon.
Digital Logic
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Digital Logic »

I'm not one for sentimental speeches.. but I feel compelled to add something to this thread.

Armagoshdarn was the breeding ground for the Tron elite.
No matter what server I went to.. the only people who ever gave me a run for my money, were other Goshdarn players.

The settings on Goshdarn required players to use skill and tactics.

In its early days before all the network congestion we had good pings and the games were solid. What lag there was, was predictable for the most part and each round was bitterly fought.

You could log in at anytime of the day and be assured of a decent match.
(Trust me on this one.. I played it at different times just to see who would show up!)

There were many fine players.. and probably a handful of ten or so ultra top players.. we all know who we were and had the utmost respect for each other. No quarter was given.. and none taken.

Like a sea anemone cradling clown fish, I watched new players grow strong within the tentacles of Goshdarn.. occasionally getting stung, but always learning.

Of course we had our share of bad apples.. but with the ever watchful, usually mature players of Goshdarn, the rabble was quickly shunned.

More than anything.. the community at Goshdarn gave birth to this forum and other out-of-game connections. We made friends, learned about cycle colors, altered floor maps, and even made a cute little movie. =)

Now.. without Goshdarn our group seems to have dispersed. I rarely find the elite players online and not a single other server has been worthwhile. Most filled with HUGE ping times and nasty lag. The rare few that crop up for a day with decent connections, seem to be populated be the just-baptized players... and within a day they are gone again.

One can only hope that the beacon that was Goshdarn will once again shine out across this vast empty sea.. and we will once again be drawn to it's light.. and bathed in it's essence we will again come together as a family.

Until then my brothers and sisters.. may we cross often on this vast ocean and nod at each other knowingly.. We were once a great construct.

DL
You made me drive all this way... for that?!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Digital Logic wrote:I'More than anything.. the community at Goshdarn gave birth to this forum
Slight correction, and this is just a slight detail. I gave birth to these forums, they have always been mine. It was verement's willingness to expand the armagetron community that brought the players from armagoshdarn here, making this a much bigger sucess than it would have been other wise.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

Paradise lost I guess.

I remember an old 'saying'. "Why didn't anyone tell me about this beautiful place. And how can I keep others from finding out."

Goshdarn was a great combination of settings. Those settings attracted players with a certain mind set. A community was born. My connection to goshdarn was always very poor, and it was always very busy, so I set up ish. Some of the goshdarn regulars didn't seem to want to play on it, that's fine. I can understand their loyality to their community, and it's home base. And I'm sure that some connected better to regular goshdarn. But in the end, it's perfectly normal for a community to grow up and disperse. Some players want to try new things, some just stop playing. Things evolve very quickly on the net, so it's not surprising this candle burnt out fairly quickly.

The great things is Goshdarn did something that will continue beyond it's own life. It showed many how the game can be played with skill. It forced confrontation. Those seeds are now planted in many servers. The father may be gone, but his children live on.