Server shut down until further notice

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

How did Armagoshdarn compare overall to other servers?

#1 favorite
59%
in the top 5
15%
better than average
8%
about average
5%
below average
14%

Total votes: 66

LostSoul

Post by LostSoul »

:( figures the server goes down again when i come back was one of my favorites but can't wait till its back
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Server shut down until further notice

Post by subby »

*sigh*
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, so, to Word: You're interested in tracking history.

The Armagoshdarn server spawned these forums.

It also spawned Breakfast of Champions, and Armagoshdarnish in 0.2.6. I cut my teeth on the latter, and then played seriously on the former.

The physics that underly LADLE come from Breakfast of Champions (they may be derived from Breakfast in Hell, or Swampland, who knows? They come from that area).

But the Breakfast servers all derive from Goshdarn.

This whole community, such as it stands, comes from that.

Can anybody get Verement to come back and say something? We've got Tank, he was here (and he took action to make shit happen!).

But what about Verement?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Verement

Post by Verement »

Lucifer wrote:Ok, so, to Word: You're interested in tracking history.

The Armagoshdarn server spawned these forums.

It also spawned Breakfast of Champions, and Armagoshdarnish in 0.2.6. I cut my teeth on the latter, and then played seriously on the former.

The physics that underly LADLE come from Breakfast of Champions (they may be derived from Breakfast in Hell, or Swampland, who knows? They come from that area).

But the Breakfast servers all derive from Goshdarn.

This whole community, such as it stands, comes from that.

Can anybody get Verement to come back and say something? We've got Tank, he was here (and he took action to make shit happen!).

But what about Verement?
Armagoshdarn… is a name I have not heard in a long time. A very long time.

Reading through these forums I’m amazed that little ol’ Goshdarn has made such an influence. I’m honored that the Armagetron server I ran more than a decade ago touched so many players and made such a lasting impression that even now we’re still talking about bringing it back.

Well, I’m here. I’m not sure what I’ll do… I see that things have evolved a bit since the 0.2.6 days. I managed to dig up the old server files, including all the things I customized, and the web-based leaderboard.

So, what does anyone want to know?
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Hey, thanks for showing yourself here :-)

We had a discussion about bringing the servers back which helped to grow the game the most. You can find one of the results here.
I think Lucifer will have a few more things to say and be more specific about what we need.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

It is indeed a surprise to see you back here. ;)

Ummm, how about just posting everything (after scrubbing out any bits you don't want made public)?

There's been what seems a growing movement (but still small) to get back to basics, so bringing old servers back and waving the hand of officialdom around them seems like a good idea. ;)

- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Nifty. Well, the important thing to keep in mind is the changes in the actual code, available settings, and the 'feel' since way back when. The first two are technical, and translating those bits can maybe be done with some maths? As for the feel, back when I was looking to put up a 'reboot' of Armagoshdarn in 0.2.8.x, I had the thought of temporarily putting up an 0.2.6 server for comparison purposes. Might be worthwhile.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Getting the "feel" exactly right is impossible. We should be able to achieve a reasonable approximation. It's merely (heh) a question of not how far we will go, but do we have the constitution to complete the task at hand.

- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, of course. I said as much myself. Like, there are old timers who would point out it just wouldn't be the same without the old lag, heh. Or the bounce bug.

I think if you sorted out the basic code and settings changes so that the old settings translate over, then the "feel" part would just be getting input from old timers (if we can find any; as I've mentioned elsewhere, if I ever even played the original goshdarn, it was so early on that I don't remember it), or again the possibility of temporarily putting up an actual 0.2.6 server to bounce back and forth between for comparison, using an 0.2.6 client as well.

Also, so for example, something like the old bounce bug. Well, can't reproduce the actual bounce itself, obviously, but you can use the _RUBBER_DELAY settings to punish adjusts and 180's the way it used to.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

You're welcome to do that if you want, but I don't have a computer that can compile 0.2.6.1. It has code-rotted quite a bit. Maybe in a virtual machine, running an ancient Ubuntu?

I've got a Armagoshdarnish in 0.2.8 that's about to move to Neal's server and become Armagoshdarnish in 0.4, soon as I'm done compiling the server.

Also, I've created a file in the 0.4 config directory that has the 0.2.6.1 defaults that you can INCLUDE in your settings_custom.cfg to reset all the game settings back to those defaults. I made a section in it for working with rubber to get it to work as close as possible, but all that's in it right now is CYCLE_RUBBER_TIMEBASED 1.0.

The server I played on tonight was quite reminiscent of ishAdmin's server, at least. ;)

- Iron Maiden
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

I can build the old versions if needed, but the rubber change between 2.6 and 2.7 makes everyone on 2.7 basically invincible.

Pirate and I had a lot of fun with that version break.

As for .4, I hope it dies in a house fire. Last time I built it, it was full of useless fluff.

I also may have which side is invincible backwards, its been forever.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I really don't remember coding in any rubber changes for 0.2.7.0. :/

But anyway, really great to hear from you again Verement!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Lucifer wrote:You're welcome to do that if you want, but I don't have a computer that can compile 0.2.6.1. It has code-rotted quite a bit. Maybe in a virtual machine, running an ancient Ubuntu?
Oh. Nevermind then.
I made a section in it for working with rubber to get it to work as close as possible, but all that's in it right now is CYCLE_RUBBER_TIMEBASED 1.0.
I'm fairly certain that should be set to 0 rather than 1. Z-Man can confirm: Rubber consumption was always speed/distance-based (that's a slash, not a division symbol), not time-based. Personally, I prefer time-based, but it's not traditional or what was done in 0.2.6.
Tank Program wrote:I really don't remember coding in any rubber changes for 0.2.7.0. :/
I recall 0.2.7.0 being similar to (the same as?) 0.2.6 where rubber was concerned (including the bounce bug). It was 0.2.7.1 where everything got messed up and it became almost impossible to die while 180-grinding or adjusting against a wall. Again, I defer to Z-Man for technical specificity and elaboration, but if I recall correctly it had something to do with how turns were handled relative to rubber consumption. He acknowledged that was a mistake and fixed (reverted?) it for 0.2.8.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Ah. Yeah, I could believe we did something in 0.2.7.1. I was confused because as I recall 0.2.7.0 was mostly cosmetic or admin changes (things like center_message).
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

**** if I remember, all the shitty versions after 2.6 blend together anymore.