Server shut down until further notice

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

How did Armagoshdarn compare overall to other servers?

#1 favorite
59%
in the top 5
15%
better than average
8%
about average
5%
below average
14%

Total votes: 66

Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

Great eulogy digital logic. :roll:
ishAdmin wrote:Paradise lost I guess.
I remember an old 'saying'. "Why didn't anyone tell me about this beautiful place. And how can I keep others from finding out."
Nice quote. It holds very true to life. 8)
ishAdmin wrote:Things evolve very quickly on the net, so it's not surprising this candle burnt out fairly quickly.
You are wrong...
Digital Logic wrote:Now.. without Goshdarn our group seems to have dispersed.
I play on darnish now and then but not even breakfast burrito is as unique as goshdarn. Nice try ishadmin but I would trade darnish for goshdarn any day. :?
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
CooL_SpoT

Post by CooL_SpoT »

'Bout a year and a half ago, I finally found the joy that was Armagetron. Finally, a light-cycle game that actually feels like a light-cycle game. After a bit of tweaking some of the controls, and playing againt the (horribly predictable) bots for a while... I took the fearful plunge into the unknown and started an internet game.

I played on a few random servers for a while, and found quickly that I didn't like the team-play deal at all. Eventually I found my way to GoshDarn.

Sure I got wasted in the first couple seconds of each match without fail. But something about the server held me. The vets who had obviously garnered skill that I could only hope for, seemed to mind not at all that a wide-eyed noob like myself wanted to play on their grid (likely because I never took up space for very long! ;) ). More than that, though; after a few days of playing (*constantly*, this game is friggin' addictive!), they seemed to realize that I was going to be around for a while, and even though I still had the driving skills of a drunk donkee, fully accepted that I was enjoying myself, and even complimented me on the few good kills I managed.

In the space of an exceedingly fast couple weeks, I suddenly realized that there were frequent times when I would actually be caught head-to-head at the end of a match with algerion, Road Kill, or Digital Logic. The sudden realization that I was actually getting better and holding my own (at least for a little while) against the likes of these fine bikers only strengthened my resolve to one day be able to count myself among their ranks.

Unfortunately, as happens to us all at one time or another, my computer decided it was fundamentally fed-up with life and crashed, to be recovered by nothing less than a full format/re-load. The process took some time, and as I was building my computer back to it's former glory, Armagetron and GoshDarn slowly slipped from my thoughts. It has only been the past couple of days that has re-kindled my love of the grid and I was deeply hurt to find that GoshDarn was no longer on my server list.

My deepest regrets go out to one and all who called GoshDarn their training grounds, and home. Armagoshdarn... you will be missed.
You're MINE bi...Aww, dammit!
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

:( *sniff*

That touched me... *sniff* I love you guys. :roll:
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

Goshdarn is gone speedracer, that candle did burn out I'm afraid.

If it will make you happier, all the servers have been very laggy lately. Does that remind you of the good old goshdarn days? :D

And at the risk of getting flamed, goshdarn was just a server. Mine is just a server. The settings on mine are nearly identical to goshdarn's, the reason I call it ish. I tend to believe people look at goshdarn and remember what was good about it, and forget the bad. And I suspect duplicating the goshdarn experience for you would be impossible on *any* server connected anywhere else on the net. Performance is largely affected by factors external to the game, like other players activities, and internet traffic, etc.

Seriously now, what do you think I could change to make ish more like goshdarn? I'm not opposed to making changes, but I don't think they will result in something everyone agrees with.
FlipTopBox

Post by FlipTopBox »

I'm sad. I miss having my speakers up way too loud, staying up way too late, being way too tired as I go to work in the morning. Imagining that other cars were driving next to me so they could go faster.

Alas, I haven't even fired up the client in months.
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

FlipTopBox wrote:my speakers up way too loud, staying up way too late, being way too tired as I go to work in the morning. Imagining that other cars were driving next to me so they could go faster.

Wow... I have to say that describes my life exactly...sorta...kinda...maybe...I think. 8)
Agix

Post by Agix »

OMG !

It can't be!

I leave to build a house and my favorite server is gone!

This is a sad day.

Agix
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

yes its sad but many new exellent servers have popped up in its place
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Zapple »

Like Ring Community ;)

But now I seem to be likeing Burreto and Demonds much more.
Thak
Average Program

Post by Thak »

It would be really awesome if you brought back Armagoshdarn.

All the other servers have stupid settings and strange lag.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

Thak wrote:It would be really awesome if you brought back Armagoshdarn.

sorry, but I have to chuckle. :lol:
Thak
Average Program

Post by Thak »

ishAdmin wrote:
Thak wrote:It would be really awesome if you brought back Armagoshdarn.

sorry, but I have to chuckle. :lol:
I was playing your server and ping rubber was 0 now. :[
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I set it to zero a while back. It seems to reduce the lag. I suspect higher pingers get compensated too much or something. Anyway, if you have a high ping, you'll miss the ping rubber.
Thak
Average Program

Post by Thak »

I miss the ping rubber and my ping is usually only 150 or so. Maybe less even.

Blagh, oh well, I guess that is ok if it helps lag.
Seeker
Round Winner

Post by Seeker »

Been gone for so long, i didnt notice........ Sad is all i can say. Goshdarn was the first server I ever played on.