Arena Size

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

Arena Size

Post by locutus »

why is the arena so small these days on darn? I am getting sick of not having enuff elbow room...making the game unenjoyable..a lil
Majination
Hero Of 2004

Post by Majination »

afaik, the arena size hasn't changed. Maybe you are getting used to your own server settings? Personally, I like the bump and grind, it adds intensity to the game and ensures that it's not an endless game of cat and mouse.

Disclaimer: I haven't been able to be on quite as much, so maybe it is me that isn't noticing the arena size changing. Sigh. I doubt if I'll be on before Monday.
http://bikecolors.shorturl.com -- ArmageTron Multi-Color Bike Picker
"Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me!" - Ren Hoek
anthias
Average Program

Post by anthias »

I know what you're talking about Locutus. I haven't been around long, but I have noticed when the grid is crowded, the elbow room becomes verry limited and it is much easier to die quickly because you don't have a lot of time or room to get yourself sped up or anything.

One point the other day, 16 players at once. it was scary and frustrating because you die quickly and then wait forever for the few survivors to battle it out.
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

anthias wrote:I know what you're talking about Locutus. I haven't been around long, but I have noticed when the grid is crowded, the elbow room becomes verry limited and it is much easier to die quickly because you don't have a lot of time or room to get yourself sped up or anything.

One point the other day, 16 players at once. it was scary and frustrating because you die quickly and then wait forever for the few survivors to battle it out.
Do you want the grid to be huge, then slowly decrease in size as the less players are left? Or, vice versa, lol, just suggesting, maybe you shouldn't head straight into the center of the grid on start. You have a more of a chance of surviving to the end.
:wink:
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
Majination
Hero Of 2004

Post by Majination »

Dying early is a good excuse to refill the coffee cup. heh.

I'll admit it does suck to die early on a crowded grid, but that's part of the game. Adaptation is the key; if you get worried, like speedracer suggested there is always the strategy of staying more to the outside until a few crazy souls get knocked off.
http://bikecolors.shorturl.com -- ArmageTron Multi-Color Bike Picker
"Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me!" - Ren Hoek
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Maj, exactly.
anthias
Average Program

Post by anthias »

I'd agree with that. It is definitely part of the game, and at times the rapid "boom, boom, boom, boom, boom" of everyone crashing at the start can be ammusing, if you get to see the action, because it is such a free for all.
Prey4Me
Match Winner

Post by Prey4Me »

i like the arena size for goshdarn, i just wish there was a limit on the number of ppl allowed to play on it at a time
when there are big games you can get killed to easy and then you have to wait forever, but i guess it would suck to have your tron buddies locked out because there are too many ppl on
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Play on your local computer with 20 - 24 bots and you soon learn how to survive (and as a hint use cycle_rubber 3 the a console window)
Prey4Me
Match Winner

Post by Prey4Me »

hhhmmm, i don't like bots though, they aren't unpredictable and don't make a lot of stupid mistakes :D
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

you can configure your bots in one of the files *don't remember which* you can make them superhard
Prey4Me
Match Winner

Post by Prey4Me »

i know thats the point, they aren't unpredictable and stupid like the average tron player, superhard bots don't make many mistakes, so its no where near like a regular game, though i do understand that it would make me ten times better though
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Prey4Me wrote:i know thats the point, they aren't unpredictable and stupid like the average tron player, superhard bots don't make many mistakes, so its no where near like a regular game, though i do understand that it would make me ten times better though
I have found that bots become very predictable, and easy to kill when you know how. I even sometimes out maneuvre them in the middle.
Prey4Me
Match Winner

Post by Prey4Me »

yes well your considered a tron god, so i expect such things from you 8)
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Prey4Me wrote:yes well your considered a tron god, so i expect such things from you 8)
ohh please not this agian lol!

If im god then you guys are the "father of god" ?