Goshdarn clone in the works

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Goshdarn clone in the works

Post by TiTnAsS »

subby wrote:*sigh*
A heard from a little birdie that theres a pretty tight Goshdarn clone in the works. :oops: Who knows, could just be rumor!
Damn, it sure has been a while!
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Server shut down until further notice

Post by compguygene »

Once I am done completely done configuring my new dedicated server, I will be moving Phytotron's servers to it. At that time, I will add the Armagoshdarn clone that I have to his servers. I was not around when Armagoshdarn was, but it is my understanding that enough changed from .2.7.1 to .2.8.3.1 that the physics no longer feel right. So, Phytotron plans to take a close look at the config, and fix it!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, it's also HUMONGOUS, which the original wasn't, nor was it "high speed insanity." And it's further back than 0.2.7.1, like, at least 0.2.6.0. :)

But yeah, we'll get to it when we get to it. And I do say "we" because, at which time, I will want the input and participation of all the folks who've been clamouring that they want goshdarn back all these years. It will be your collective time to step up and back it up. :)

I'll create a new topic once we're ready to launch.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

That's awesome. I think one of the greatest things that gosh had was the people and the ultra low latency, I don't know how it was achieved but from little old me in OZ it was it seemed that the lag was half of the other US servers.

Does anybody know what the hardware connection to the `net was like? I mean did it have less routers in-between it and the big ol' trunk lines of the net?
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

compguygene wrote:Once I am done completely done configuring my new dedicated server, I will be moving Phytotron's servers to it. At that time, I will add the Armagoshdarn clone that I have to his servers. I was not around when Armagoshdarn was, but it is my understanding that enough changed from .2.7.1 to .2.8.3.1 that the physics no longer feel right. So, Phytotron plans to take a close look at the config, and fix it!
Are you doing any performance testing? I mean how many servers can you put on a machine with a X network card and not see any degrading?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Dunno about the original hardware, but surely it would be dated by now, not to mention the fact that as far as I know it was hosted privately. This one will be hosted at a commercial data center thingy in Pennsylvania. The company Gene has previously been using was really good (excepting some repetitive lag slides/spikes recently, hence the move), and he claims the new one is as good or better. I'll say that the last one, based in NYC, had some US players getting pings in the mid-teens.

With respect to your comment in the other thread about respawning, let me quote Gene from a recent PM exchange we had over my contemplations of implementing it in BiH:
As to the respawning. There are respawn commands in the Sty+CT branch that you are running. But those commands only work in the concept of a server parser script. I have a basic one that lets me enable respawning and other things that can only be well controlled with a script. There is the possibility of compiling a binary with respawning enabled. But the respawning is very random and buggy. It is only meant for bug testing. The nice thing about the script that I use is that it allows you to decide how many lives people get, and you can set the respawn points if it makes sense.
Given these limitations, I assume that you do NOT want to enable respawning.
And this is true. I think I just don't want to mess with that.

Besides, I want to try and get it as close to the original as possible. Of course, it won't be identical, there have been a lot of changes to the code and whatever, and there will inevitably be people who are disappointed and even complain that it's just not the old 'goshdarn they knew and loved (Verement touches on that in this very thread). I mean, speaking of latency for example, I'm quite sure there will be some who dislike it because it'll be too smooth and not laggy enough, or buggy enough.

Making a major change like adding respawning will probably only increase that dissatisfaction.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Yeah that's fair enough. Often (always?) people remember things to be better or differently to how it actually was. It's a normal human thing to forget pain for example. Just ignore the complaints and they will go away.

Anyway I'd be great-full of anything that is tried and I'll try to keep my rants in my pants ;)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

subby wrote:Anyway I'd be great-full of anything that is tried and I'll try to keep my rants in my pants ;)
Nah, I want your input. :)
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Phytotron wrote:
subby wrote:Anyway I'd be great-full of anything that is tried and I'll try to keep my rants in my pants ;)
Nah, I want your input. :)
I said i would try, i didn't say I would succeed :mrgreen:
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

subby wrote:
compguygene wrote:Once I am done completely done configuring my new dedicated server, I will be moving Phytotron's servers to it. At that time, I will add the Armagoshdarn clone that I have to his servers. I was not around when Armagoshdarn was, but it is my understanding that enough changed from .2.7.1 to .2.8.3.1 that the physics no longer feel right. So, Phytotron plans to take a close look at the config, and fix it!
Are you doing any performance testing? I mean how many servers can you put on a machine with a X network card and not see any degrading?
Yes I am doing tons of performance testing. I am renting a rather powerful dedicated server. When configuring such for Armagetron servers it is best to partition things into Virtual Private Servers so that the Virtualization Softare can keep applications, in this case Game Servers, from hogging CPU time and/or memory resources. The dedicated server in question has an Intel Core2Quad 2.33ghz processor, 2gb DDR II ram. Therefore I can setup VPS's that will have guranteed plenty of resources, and will not be stealing resources from each other. Of course, the Devil is in the Details. So, I am being very cautious in all the options I am choosing for the configuration of the VPS's. Fortunately, I have rented plenty of OpenVZ based VPS's in the past and have a good idea of how many Game Servers can be on how much resources. OpenVZ is virtualzation software that has been extensively used to host Armagetron servers by myself, Luke-jr, and several other people in the world of Armagetron. A properly configured OpenVZ VPS can be the best hosting situation. The main problem that people encounter with OpenVZ VPS's is that they can be "oversold" so, when you first get one with an irresponsible provider, it works great. After they oversell their servers, the VPS just stinks.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Cool bananas!

I've worked (built commercial infrastructure - for telstra, australia's biggest telecom) with other virtual servers, so I know what you are talking about.

It looks like it's in proper hands, good luck mate.

If it's not too rude, can I ask how much this is costing?
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I prefer not to talk about the cost. Suffice it to say, I don't drink, smoke, or have any other hobbies that I spend any money on. So, I happily am spending the money, so that I can get to have the fun of playing with some infrastructure. I have a CNE in versions 3 and 4 of Novell Netware, and used to do that kind of stuff for a living. It's nice to have an excuse to pursue these kinds of things for fun!
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

compguygene wrote:I prefer not to talk about the cost. Suffice it to say, I don't drink, smoke, or have any other hobbies that I spend any money on. So, I happily am spending the money, so that I can get to have the fun of playing with some infrastructure. I have a CNE in versions 3 and 4 of Novell Netware, and used to do that kind of stuff for a living. It's nice to have an excuse to pursue these kinds of things for fun!
No thats cool ;)

I spend a whole heap on photography equipment - never made a cent from it, probably never will (then again I've never tried). Some hobbies are just a bit more expensive than others :)

Ohh and I can't say I don't drink, but at least i try to brew my own beer (and I do a great job of it if i must say so myself) .....beer is sooooooo expensive in oz. It's my only vice, I don't smoke, drink coffee or do any drugs. But take my beer away and I'll chop your bloody hands off hehe j/k.
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

I couln't sleep the other night and one thing I thought about what I was missing most from the old servers, and that was the different skills needed to these days, now I don't know if that's because of how the newer versions of arma work or if it's the greater amount of rubber these days.

These days (even w/o double binding)

Code: Select all

Code: Select all

epsy

Post by epsy »

This is used quite often in fortress