an experiment on armagoshdarnish

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

ishAdmin
Match Winner

an experiment on armagoshdarnish

Post by ishAdmin »

first, my feet are freezing, only 58 degrees in my office.. anyway

I have zero'd the rubber and cycle delay on Armagoshdarnish. This is an experiment. I believe lag is reduced, and I encourage you coders to drop in and see what you observer.

Now there is a small amount, but it seems to correspond with ping. And I mean small. I haven't once been confused by what happened because of lag smacking.

I turned the brake back on, and it does seem to cause some 'distortions'. Observe that too.

I don't want to say any more. I would like to hear your obsevations. These settings will be in place for the weekend.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ack! It's unplayable.

The 180s come out with me not knowing which side of the wall I'm on (a fair counter if you don't like double-binders, though).

The main thing is that without rubber you hit the walls. Period. End of statement. No grinding, nothing.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I've done some grinding. Don't be a pussy! ;)

I'm not interested in how playable it is, cuz i know it's hard. I'm interested in how lag is when it's full.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

any server that has cycle_delay 0 aka smeg and others causes my bike to have major warp, the server has no idea where i am and just keeps changing my direction and grid position (and not by a few inches im talking like half the arena size warp) finally ending with my death

really pisses me off
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

is that true for every server? I wonder why that would be the case for you? It sounds like packet loss to me. Are you far from the server?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Re: an experiment on armagoshdarnish

Post by Lucifer »

ishAdmin wrote:first, my feet are freezing, only 58 degrees in my office.. anyway
Wait a minute, I thought you Canadians were on that new-fangled metric system. Doesn't that use Celcius for temperature?
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I have a really old thermometer in my office. It's fahrenheit only.

It's -28°C outside right now btw. why did my stoopid fuking ancestors come here!
2b|!2b?
On Lightcycle Grid

new settings

Post by 2b|!2b? »

I like the new settings. It takes new skills to play in this room now, new strategies and new tactics. Yes you can grind. Yes you can still double bind keys but you can't hit them at the same time, you need to adjust a small time difference similar to rattling fingers.
I have seen very little lag and twice I have seen an opponent's tail not drawn immediately but that ony happened for a second or so.
Now, lag is usually severe when there are 7 or 8 of us playing. That has not happened here yet a lot because players get a cold shoulder and leave when they realized the rules aren't the same. Wussies!
Get a thicker skin, I say.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

its on any server with cycle_delay 0

to prove this i had a friend setup a server in uk and we tried cycle_delay 0.01 i had no problem but cycle_delay 0 caused the major warp problem

maybe this only happens to dialup users ? i have no idea
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Seeker
Round Winner

Post by Seeker »

IT GOT INTERESTING THATS FOR SURE. THE LAG WAS MINIMAL WHILE I WAS PLAYING, AND I WAS THERE FOR A LIL WHILE.

oops sorry for the capslock, im at work.
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

-40 with wind chill in thunder bay
go outside
i dare you
stakes is high
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I put rubber back to 4, but i left ping rubber at 0. I'm wondering if ping rubber contributes to inconsistent lag issues as well.

Anyway, experiment over. I'm convinced that lag is reduced with zero rubber. People who were far away were losing packets and getting large corrections, but that's really a different issue. I'm curious to see how it now goes with zero ping rubber.
2b|!2b?
On Lightcycle Grid

Cycle delay back to where it was?

Post by 2b|!2b? »

When I make a double-bind initiated U-turn it looks sharper (thinner) than a few days ago.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

root down wrote:-40 with wind chill in thunder bay
go outside
i dare you
68 F.

I love Texas.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Re: Cycle delay back to where it was?

Post by ishAdmin »

2b|!2b? wrote:When I make a double-bind initiated U-turn it looks sharper (thinner) than a few days ago.
Yeah, I forgot what I had for cycle delay. It's probably lower than it was. I might adjust that again.