ish chatlogs?

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

2+2=5

ish chatlogs?

Post by 2+2=5 »

Holas, i have a humble request.

Is there any chance i can get a copy of the Arma-ish chat logs from last night. from about 4am-8am eastern time. I had a good chat with GOD about the end of the world, and the fallacies of the BUSH regime, and i like to read it in case any of it actually made sense.

thx.
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

just remember that the end of the world is always overrated ;)
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

Unfortunately, version 2.6 (which I run) doesn't log the chat. It's been lost in cyberspace. I would happily oblige if it was in my power.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

ive noticed that servers with chat logs cause a log more lag (esp. between rounds when the screen is black which then continues for a while once the round starts)
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

I've not noticed that. I have noticed that when people come and go that lag happens, and delays between rounds are largely do to the coming and goings. It's like the game starts over respawning everything after someone leaves.
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Post by llaffer2 »

Does redirecting the stdout to a file do anything to the lag of a game? (I'm running 2.7).

My shell script that I use to kick off the server kills and previously running tails, then I run tail on the file in the background, then the server starts redirecting stdout to the file that's being tailed.

That way, I can see the contents of the stdout, while it's being generated (I tried tee, and I couldn't get it to append on a new server run, only to overwrite and start over).

So I'm able to keep a log of everything.

I can post my shell script if anyones curious about.
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

What I do is redirect the output to a log file. Before I restart the game, I just cp that log file to somewhere else, then restart the game, again redirecting it to the same log file. A poor man's log rotate. I don't ever tail any of it, unless I'm personally taililng it, so I can monitor the game.

I don't have that automated because I first look to see why the game went down. I have different names for the log archives if they went down because I simply chose to restart, because of the linux bind bug, or because of ripping/abuse. I suppose I could have a script check to see if the players.txt file is empty, and if's not, cp it to the abuse archives. But I frankly prefer to leave the game off for a while if someone ripped it down.
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Post by llaffer2 »

Ahh - I have mine set to auto-restart as a result of my shell, adding notes indicating when it is a start of a new run. I'll occasionally rename log files like you do to do a ghetto-name rotation.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I've just got one 200mb logfile for CP... The others are a bit smaller...
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

llaffer2 wrote: to do a ghetto-name rotation.
what is a ghetto-name rotation.

do the log file get name like scar and big and kiki (if your from the ghetto and your nick is kiki and your still alive, your VERY big)

is there a rapper script that drives around the folders and drive-by shoot some of the older logs?

You have to tell me.

-ph
In a ghetto, I'd get a lame nick too. But not because I'm strong or big or smart.
Canis meus id comedit.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I just have my logs sent to syslog and let log-rotate take care of it.

Of course, that means I have to wade through syslog when I want to look at aa logs. And now that I'm running two servers, hmm, well, maybe I should do something different.
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Post by llaffer2 »

Tank Program wrote:I've just got one 200mb logfile for CP... The others are a bit smaller...
Since my server is rarely used - my log file didn't even reach 2 megs yet.
philippeqc wrote:
llaffer2 wrote:to do a ghetto-name rotation.
what is a ghetto-name rotation.

do the log file get name like scar and big and kiki (if your from the ghetto and your nick is kiki and your still alive, your VERY big)

is there a rapper script that drives around the folders and drive-by shoot some of the older logs?

You have to tell me.

-ph
In a ghetto, I'd get a lame nick too. But not because I'm strong or big or smart.
What the hell are you talking about.

I'm talking about occasionally manually renaming my arm.out file to a arm.20041105.out file so I can maintain multiple days, weeks, months logs without keeping one big-ass file continually building.

But now that I think of it, I can have the start of my script do that for me, so I don't have to worry about it anymore. So it won't be so ghetto.