Yet Another Goshdarn Server

Here you can discuss Armagoshdarn, settings specific to it, what you think about it, etc.

Moderator: Verement

llaffer2
Core Dumper

Yet Another Goshdarn Server

Post by llaffer2 »

I used to run a server (Nothing But Speed - No Brakes II; if anyone has been playing long enough to remember that) over a year ago, and thought that I'd give it another try.

I found the old post about how Goshdarn is setup and tried to make similar settings.

Feel free to give it a try, suggest config tweaks, etc.

For you current server admins, what "security" measures should I be doing to help (IP tracking, etc.) I'll take any pointers that I can get.

Thanks.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Keep your logs. You specifically want to keep the logs that normally go to STDOUT when you run the dedicated binary from the commandline. ish does it by redirecting to a file, mine goes to syslog and I've got a cronjob now executing weekly that backs up syslog (along with the logrotate program that was already keeping four weeks of syslog, so now I'll have a veeeery long backup of syslog).

What platform are you running on? If you're running under Mandrake, I can give you a script to put in /etc/init.d that'll let you manage it as a service using Mandrake's stock tools, and it'll automatically put your logs in syslog.

Also, if you're running on linux, you really need to have iptables installed. If you ever need to ban a player, armagetron only lets you do name bans (using the everytime.cfg file), so you need some way to filter out certain IP addresses, and iptables (or any other firewall, for that matter) will let you do that.
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Post by llaffer2 »

I'm running Fedora Core 2. I'll redirect output to a file next time I bounce the server.

Not sure if I have iptables installed or not. Will check that.

Thanks.,