Compguygene's Fortress Server

Here you can discuss anything about the servers hosted by The Server Pharm!

Moderator: compguygene

compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Compguygene's Fortress Server

Post by compguygene »

After being back on the grid for about a week now, I have setup a new VPS in New York to host gameservers on. After having caught up on the forum posts here, it seemed there is a need for a new public Fortress Server. In response to that perceived need I have put up a Server with the following characteristics:

To lower the bar of entry for new to Fortress players:
No need to login to play.
AUTO_TEAM 1 so players don't need to join a team, they are just placed in the action.
I am working on a set of help files so you can get /help on a variety of topics, that will be combined with console messages to direct you to get /help.

The basic configuration of the server is based on Ladle settings, but 200 points to win, just like pickup servers.
Teams are 7v7 to limit lag but to keep the server as full as possible. There are plenty of spec slots.

I would like to develop a community of mods and admins around this server, like MB53's had. The server settings would allow mods/admins to communicate like they did there. So, pretty much anybody that wants to be a part of that community, ask and it shall be given. I will give a few of you admin (I am thinking of sinewav for instance if he wants it) to tinker with settings and try new stuff.

The real point of all this is to open this up to debate, ideas, etc.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
takburger
Match Winner

Re: Compguygene's Fortress Server

Post by takburger »

Sounds good ! I'll try it if I see it. Thanks for the server and welcome back.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Nice, gene!
compguygene wrote:There are plenty of spec slots.
I don't know if that's good. Ww CTF was 5v5 max, and had 10 slots. this meant that if you could join it, you would always get to play. always. So people always joined it and it was always full. I don't think it would have been the same way if it had spectator slots.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Good point. I was just going with what has just been the flow of things in the past. Perhaps it is time for a fortress server w/o spec slots?

Any other opinions?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Titanoboa wrote:I don't think it would have been the same way if it had spectator slots.
compguygene wrote:Perhaps it is time for a fortress server w/o spec slots?
According to the recent pickup poll, a small amount of spectator spots is desirable; maybe 2-4. I personally think 2 is enough (1 sub for each team). There is a trade-off between having someone waiting to play immediately and waiting for someone to join because they just noticed an empty slot in the server browser. Also, the social aspect of this game pulls up toward having spec slots because people want to join the party with their friends even if they don't play. Maybe a good rule is have no more than 25% of available playing slots open for spectators? Example: a 6v6 server would be 12(1.25) = 15 Max Clients.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Thanks for the server compguy. However, when I went on it last night, some of the settings were wrong. I had to auth both to play and to talk/shout.

As far as spectator slots go, I'd like quite a lot of them myself. Just my opinion.
Playing since December 2006
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I have already fixed the auth problem that didn't let you chat properly, thank you for letting me know. I will try 2 spec slots and see how that goes.
Cadillac_
Average Program

Post by Cadillac_ »

Cadillac_@forums
Cadillac@aagid
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I have added a nice improvement to the server. If you go in alone, you face 12 bots that actually try to conquer your zone. It can be interesting to defend against them as they attack you 1 or 2 at a time. Of course, while you are doing that, you can sometimes get a Fortress game going.