Low Rubber Revolution: Fortress and Sumobar

Here you can discuss anything about the servers hosted by The Server Pharm!

Moderator: compguygene

compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Low Rubber Revolution: Fortress and Sumobar

Post by compguygene »

For those of you that can appreciate the challenge of 1 Rubber, there are 2 new servers for you to enjoy:
Low Rubber Revolution: Fortress and Low Rubber Revolution: Sumobar.

The plan is to run tournaments based on these settings very soon. People have tried both of these servers, and I have gotten a mostly positive reaction. Consider this, when Fortress was new, 5 rubber was chosen to make it easy for anybody to learn it. 1 rubber is taking the training wheels off! With the 1 rubber there, there is little forgiveness for mistakes. You go the wrong way, you can't fix your mistake so easily. You just die.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Low Rubber Revolution: Fortress and Sumobar

Post by Light »

I liked it for sumo, but not quite sure how well it will work out with the current fort tactics. I'll try out the fort sometime here if I see anyone in it. I'll look forward to your tournaments. :)
Fippmam
Round Winner

Post by Fippmam »

Light wrote:I liked it for sumo, but not quite sure how well it will work out with the current fort tactics.
Heh, basically double grinding and tight bottles would be a nono. It's possible but haha, quite unforgiving. Sounds like fun though :D
Luiso
Average Program

Post by Luiso »

I think it can have some problems. I used to play fortress with 1 rubber as a joke time ago and this following things happened frequently:
Players with high pings get extra rubber which give that players an important advantage.
Sometimes it bugs and you make weird hard grinds or you can pass through a wall.
I am not responsible for the content of this message ;)
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

First of all, nice to see you around again, Luiso. I think that you will find some significant differences in the actual gameplay of these servers than you did by just changing CYCLE_RUBBER 1. If you have ever played in Shrunkland, this uses the same rubber settings. Also, I have tested this pretty extensively, in terms of the effects of CYCLE_RUBBER_PING. Just like in any server, you can exploit the effects of CYCLE_RUBBER_PING to your advantage. However, the advantages pretty much disappear at 1 rubber. On the other hand, if you slide, you are much more likely to die! If you react quickly enough, with the help of CYCLE_RUBBER_PING, you can live through a slide. From my testing and experience, high pingers do have a bit more trouble than they would in a standard Fortress/Sumo server.

tldr: No advantages to high pingers like in standard Fortress/Sumo. Just try the darn server before you pass any judgement, please.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Luiso
Average Program

Post by Luiso »

compguygene wrote:First of all, nice to see you around again, Luiso. I think that you will find some significant differences in the actual gameplay of these servers than you did by just changing CYCLE_RUBBER 1. If you have ever played in Shrunkland, this uses the same rubber settings. Also, I have tested this pretty extensively, in terms of the effects of CYCLE_RUBBER_PING. Just like in any server, you can exploit the effects of CYCLE_RUBBER_PING to your advantage. However, the advantages pretty much disappear at 1 rubber. On the other hand, if you slide, you are much more likely to die! If you react quickly enough, with the help of CYCLE_RUBBER_PING, you can live through a slide. From my testing and experience, high pingers do have a bit more trouble than they would in a standard Fortress/Sumo server.

tldr: No advantages to high pingers like in standard Fortress/Sumo. Just try the darn server before you pass any judgement, please.
Well, I would like to try it but servers are always empty. It doesnt give the same feelings being alone than with other people.
My words were just based on my experience with such rubber, now you said more things are different I will try it and tell you how it goes for me :)
I am not responsible for the content of this message ;)