Fortress Cafe 2.0

Here you can discuss anything about the servers hosted by The Server Pharm!

Moderator: compguygene

compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Fortress Cafe 2.0

Post by compguygene »

I have put up a New Fortress Cafe.

The hole size is the same .75 as in Ladle servers, it is mostly Ladle settings.
It is set for 9v9, so yes you can play the big games. This hosting server has been used for 9v9 Fortress before, so I know it's solid.
You do NOT have to login to play, but to shuffle up, you need to login.
Just like in the original Fortress Cafe, SCORE_HOLE 1 (yes you get a point for holing).
Anybody who had mod in the original Fortress Cafe, please just let me know, you will have it again.
Anybody else that is willing to help new people and promote games in Fortress Cafe, let me know. If I know and trust you, you will get mod.
I would like this to be a true community server. As such, no clan (including the one I belong to) will ever use this for closed practices or wars.
I would love to be able to play in an environment like we used to have in Fortress Cafe. Let's make it better this time.
In the hopes that people will be willing to camp there, I have made it interesting to play against the bots. I have built a server binary that uses Z-man's fortress-ai branch, so the bots know about the zone. You face off against 12 of them! If you setup a def, they will attack pretty much one at a time. I like it, and in the past others have enjoyed it when I tested the concept.
Please use this thread to make any suggestions for improvements or changes and to ask for mod!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Ratchet
Match Winner

Re: Fortress Cafe 2.0

Post by Ratchet »

Fantastic. I'll have to test it out -- the ID servers are generally pretty laggy so I'm hoping this fortress server from your host is an exception. So long as the server can live up to expectations performance-wise, I see good things coming from this.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone starts complaining about SCORE_HOLE. Most servers don't have that and I am not sure if everyone will like it.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

They can complain all they want. You cannot make a Fortress Cafe server without SCORE_HOLE 1. Anybody who played there in the past will remember this. As to the lagginess of ID Servers I host, I would be curious to know the last time you played in one. The way things are currently, I have had nothing but praise from people, with the exceptions being the normal hiccups servers and clients occasionally experience.
Last night it was tested with a mix of Euros and Americans and was very solid. Also, this is pretty much the only server on this VPS, except for the occasional tournament, and I will keep it that way.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

I don't play in a variety of them, but the ID Virginia WST server has complaints from everyone that plays in it. There aren't many war sumo servers, so wars usually end up happening in that server, and "Lag" is a common phrase in there. I typically avoid them mostly because they're all in Virginia, though. I prefer central USA servers.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Check out the Public WST server. If I have any other WST servers up, I will take them down. I can understand your preference for Central USA Servers. I think that this is a better central location for a server meant to serve Euros and Americans somewhat equally. For example, people on the West Coast, USA and Germany tend to have about the same pings in this server, so it is more central for games that are drawing somewhat equally from North America and Europe.
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Yeah, I understand :D