Tron Wars: Return of the LightCycle

Here you can discuss anything about the servers hosted by The Server Pharm!

Moderator: compguygene

compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Tron Wars: Return of the LightCycle

Post by compguygene »

This is the first, in a series of low-rubber servers. Please try it out and post feedback on this topic to let me know what you like and/or don't like about the server.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Kinda Slow
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Tron Wars: Return of the LightCycle

Post by Kinda Slow »

Haven't yet managed to catch anyone else on the server, but I tried it and liked it. I don't feel that I have enough experience to critique somebody's server, but it was fun for me. And that's a bunch of bots to play against when you are alone!

One thing I noticed on the intro screen, a compelling read :wink: , the word Bebop was misspelled.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Kinda Slow wrote:Haven't yet managed to catch anyone else on the server, but I tried it and liked it. I don't feel that I have enough experience to critique somebody's server, but it was fun for me. And that's a bunch of bots to play against when you are alone!

One thing I noticed on the intro screen, a compelling read :wink: , the word Bebop was misspelled.
Thanks, will fix that. I really tried to make it a challenge to beat the bots. If only in the hope that people will hang out there until somebody shows up.
saragei
Core Dumper

Post by saragei »

Loved it there, played with Kinda Slow and Stopsign. Lots of fun :)
I leave some blanks here for your free use though: [blanks] blankblankblank[/blanks]
Interesting scoring, rounds and matches ending fast - which isn't all negative really.
Never trust a species that grins all the time. It’s up to something. —Terry Pratchett, Pyramids
Warum sage ich überhaupt was? Das ist, als würde man seinem Navi widersprechen —Bernd das Brot, Kika-Lounge
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Good settings, questionable scoring. It promotes camping and non-interaction.
Kinda Slow
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Kinda Slow »

sinewav wrote:Good settings, questionable scoring. It promotes camping and non-interaction.
I was on the phone while I played a couple of 3 player rounds and won the match by simply staying out of the way. :o

Would it be possible to include bots to keep the player count high enough to prevent this sort of thing?
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I am getting ready for bed now, but will review this thread in the morning and integrate all of your suggestions. Honestly, I really wasn't sure what to do with the scoring and was hoping for input like this. Yes, bots can be added to regular play to make it more challenging.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

My observations:

• Doh! I'd drop the "Server Pharm" part from the title.
Picture 1.png
Note both length and the apparent misspelling of 'cycle.'
(7.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
• Yeah, I too dislike the scoring, personally, but the server "options" [side comment to Z-Man et al: shouldn't that be changed to "description" at this point?] does say "Last Man Standing." And if that's what it's meant to be, then that's the kind of scoring it should have, giving precedence to survival over core dumps. (Truly, the 1-point core dumps are effectively pointless against a 10-point round survival score.) However, that said, if the primary purpose is indeed simply to survive then I think the current settings make that way too easy. I would suggest one or a combination of the following:

- Lengthen the walls significantly. I think I would start at maybe 1500, see how that plays. Yeah, very long (and especially infinite) walls can encourage more passivity and a "big box and run" strategy, but it is an LMS server, after all. And fact is, people who play like that often end up with less space for themselves on the outside than they've given the player they've boxed, anyway (yet still have the nerve to cry "camper!" :roll: ). 'Course, that fact also encourages certain types to self-box and "maze" around just waiting for the others to screw up first. But again, it is, after all, a Last Man Standing server.
- Reduce overall rubber. Either decrease basic CYCLE_RUBBER and/or increase CYCLE_RUBBER_TIME.
- You might consider adding a "nuke" death zone, to encourage more aggressive play. The message: "You don't kill, you don't survive."
- Adding bots to the multiplayer game might be a good idea, to run interference. Perhaps balance your client limit with bots. (TEAMS_MIN = MAX_CLIENTS, I think.) ... I'm not sure whether it would be better to have them all be on the same 'AI Team' or as individuals—you would want to go with whichever would reduce the likelihood of the bot(s) winning the match.

• Is it meant to have three-minute matches? Kinda short, don't you think?

• Trivial comment: Kinda goofy MOTD there, heh. :P But, taking it for what it is, I had this observation. The term "padawan" was introduced in the prequels, right? If analogies are being drawn with Star Wars, I would compare the original trilogy to old-school servers; and the fancy, gimmicky, eye-candy, bad story prequels to the new fancy gimmicky version of Arma and its special game modes. :wink: Not that hardly anyone will read that, anyway. They can't even read a couple sentences.
Kinda Slow
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Kinda Slow »

saragei wrote:I leave some blanks here for your free use though: [blanks] blankblankblank[/blanks]
Oh yeah, the blank! There's no blank after the player's name in the match winner announcement.
Saw something like, "Match Winner: sarageiafter..."

Made for good conversation.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, strange, and it's not just that line. It's also true across the recent servers you've set up, Gene. Screenshot below taken in Shrunkland. Maybe something to do with how you've set them up for custom language strings?
Attachments
screenshot_4.png
(4.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I will check to see if it is an error in the base language files. I haven't modified my scripts to even look for a custom language on the servers in question. I am working on other things first.