Problems with Ladle 38

Here you can discuss anything about the servers hosted by The Server Pharm!

Moderator: compguygene

compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Problems with Ladle 38

Post by compguygene »

I apologize for TX not having their Ladle server up. This was the second Ladle that I was not only able to commit to playing as a player, but also was certain of no problems with my servers. Yes I do own the server that the TX servers are hosted on, but I do NOT control the servers. Durka uses a webcontrol that he is continually developing with the hope of us releasing it with an open source license for the Tronic community to use free of charge, etc. So, my knowledege of how that control works is somewhat limited, and I don't even use it for any server of mine, I use the command line and scripts for many reasons. That is why I couldn't just "fix" the problem. Also, I do have a NY based hosting server just for me, but I do NOT have it running tron servers at the moment, as I have been optimizing it fully first, more than Durka's is.
As a result, the only option that I had to in 8-10 minutes put up a server was to shut off every other server that the TSP_CH server runs on. For ladles, I only leave up the R Fortress Server. Well, thankfully R just had ID go there when the server i copy/pasted up was not quite the right one!
But, I knew that we had 8 minutes for the CTb/SP match to start, and i did not want to delay it by even a minute if possible. In fact, I asked flex's permission to have 8-10 minutes of delay, but got back 2 minutes before the match was to start. So, I asked flex to give me 3 rounds to warm back up (not really enough) and the match started almost exactly on time.
My point here is this. I cannot risk having this happen again! My game was off a little for about the first 3 rounds of play.
So, I am not going to allow Durka to run a Ladle server there any longer, Unless he shows me the server is up and running properly 48 hours in advance, as a separate server just for ladles.
Instead, I am going to host an NY based Ladle server on my new NY server that is more optimized for tron than the one durka controls.
I would ask the Ladle Enthusiasts to give TSP_NY Ladle server somewhat preferential treatment. Let me give all the technical reasons why.

I have setup the server with 1gb ram and on ladle days it will have no other popular server running. I do NOT have MySql installed (which is a bit of a pig when it comes to resources. In other words. On a ladle day, nothing else will be running on TSP_NY but the ladle server. Same as i do with TSP_CH, TSP_DE, and TSP_KS.

I apologize for my not quite correct planning for this Ladle. I am addressing these issues this week.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Problems with Ladle 38

Post by LucK »

I am not sure if this was addressed in your post or not didn't really see it. While we were playing in TSP CH yesterday the authorities hadn't been updated and boing couldn't login. After we finally started the server crashed and when we came back over half of the people couldn't login.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

It was a side effect of trying to shuffle around servers too quickly. That's all.
To make a second "ladle server" on TSP_CH, I borked the existing one by accident!
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

I couldn't even ssh into the machine, it was completely down.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Durka I was able to ssh to the machine, np.

I am convinced the problem is how you are backing up and restoring to move from one server to another. I would prefer that I wipe the VPS, and you do not use your webcontrol at this time. I do not know enough PHP to debug the PHP, scripts, or what those scripts are doing. But, I do know that that server isn't working right because of how it is configured at the moment.
I have a real solution to the problem.

At the end of this week, my new NY based Xen server just for forums and VOIP will be available. I will have you move the TX forums there. Then, I will wipe the current TX server, and install it using the scripts I use to install a VPS and accounts. I will install an account for you, with my custom scripts that are different from the ones on the wiki. I also have scripts that automatically update the binary, etc. This yields a hosting server that is the most stable, secure, and least lag free. One problem is that MySQl is an absolute pig about memory, and if you watch performance graphs of a server's performance while it is being used, you will see many memory spikes!
As to the webcontrol, lets put that off the burner for now. Let's just have the TX servers go back to being run from the command line in a very simple way. If we do that, then if there is a problem with a TX server, I can just use my scripts to fix it, like i do with my own tournament servers and personal servers. Basically, on ladle days, to ensure the maximum performance of the TX server, I will take down everything but the TX Ladle Server. After the Ladle, the TX servers can come back up.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

compguygene wrote:Let's just have the TX servers go back to being run from the command line in a very simple way.
That is how I had been running them recently actually since I didn't have time to re-setup the control panel.

Again, I couldn't ssh into the server during the Ladle but a few hours afterwards it was back up and I could ssh.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I understand. But, I am saying that the fundamental configuration of your hosting server is borked. I am going to wipe the server, start over, and setup the TX servers in a way that I now setup the TSP servers, which will be more stable. There are several fundamental problems with the way your servers are run at the moment which I do not have time to debug.
Therefore, the only way to ensure the stability of the TX servers is not only to start over, but to start over from scratch, not just backup and restore the way you have been. I will take your configs and just start over with them, and you can go in after the fact and go from there.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

Don't act like you're all innocent, our first 2 rounds were to be played in the TSP CH server, which was down until 5 minutes before the ladle. After it came up, there were 2 of them up at the same time, one that was unreachable, and one that was. However, the one that was turned out to be very laggy and the authorities were not setup. Mid first match more than half the players from both teams were disconnected from the server, and the rest of us froze up for awhile. As the players came back, they were unable to login on any accounts. We had to move the match to CT STO and all together delayed the ending of our match by 15-20 minutes. So do not try to put the blame on Durka for messing up the Tx server, when it was obviously your server's fault. We ran into even larger problems with a screwed up Tsp Ch, then a downed server would cause(we could just start the match in a backup server immediately).
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I am aware of how TSP_CH is borked. I borked it to try to make a quick backup server for the TX one! So don't be saying that I am acting all innocent! I know the mistake I made to bork that server! My point is this. I need to fix the problem for the long term. The process that Durka has been using to restore the TX forums and such has been causing problems with the server setup. I plan to fix the problems by putting the TX forums on a separate server. That will also put more memory on the server that the TX forums are hosted on. Also, by Durka installing the webcontrol for the servers fresh, not from a backup, everything will just work better. I am not saying this is "Durka's fault" or "my fault" I am trying to fix the problem. If anything, I need to apologize for the tone and timbre of the first post on this thread. I was rather peeved at the time and should have waited a day to make the post. So, I do apologize for the first post in this thread, which quite frankly, upon a re-read, was downright mean! Let's just fix the problem guys.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

And just to make a note, Desolate, the same stuff you describe has been happening with Shrunkland and Bebop in Harlem recently. Gene and I have been in PM conversation about it for almost a week, which is to say that he's aware of the problem and working on it.
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

That and I posted the same thing earlier in the topic :\