Nexus9 Deathmatch Europe

Discussion about Nexus9, the no rubber Tron servers that people love to hate.

Moderator: Alpha Centauri

Pre
Average Program

Re: Nexus9 Deathmatch Europe

Post by Pre »

yes please
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Hell yeah! I also wanted the settings of N9 for this, if you don't mind them being public that is. :D
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

It's back up :)

You can find it in the server browser or armagetronad://212.111.43.58:4534.
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

Just want to say....I was very excited when I saw this on my server list today. Like, I went to another server with people in it and asked if N9 has been revived, then came on forum to post (alas, on a different thread) about this. SO YAY THANKS.

The physics of the game felt a little foreign (for example I thought I could grind closer to the walls than I was able to), but I remember these settings as the ones N9 eventually had after the big change in settings (noticeably increased speed, maybe less rubber). In my opinion the earlier settings were *far* superior :P , but I look forward to playing this game mode anyway. I couldn't tell because the server was empty when I was there, but I hope I derive the same pleasure from this server as I used to (adjusting for changes in my general feelings for tron).
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

nara wrote:The physics of the game felt a little foreign (for example I thought I could grind closer to the walls than I was able to), but I remember these settings as the ones N9 eventually had after the big change in settings (noticeably increased speed, maybe less rubber). In my opinion the earlier settings were *far* superior :P , but I look forward to playing this game mode anyway. I couldn't tell because the server was empty when I was there, but I hope I derive the same pleasure from this server as I used to (adjusting for changes in my general feelings for tron).
I got the settings from Kiwi/Flex some years ago -- they're dated 26/12/2009, so I'm guessing it's their latest iteration.
About the rubber: I had the same feeling, but it's set at 0.2, which is the same as the original settings.

Anyway, I'm all open for tweaks, namely about the death zone (doh!), boost, rim acceleration, etc.
So, discuss :)
Winner of the How Many Pages Before The Lock® competition and a grand total of 18,93 euros in Euromillions.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

It's great to see the server up and running again. However...

I agree with what nara says. Also, at least for me, I'd like to see the following:

- Finite CYCLE_WALLS_LENGTH (I'm sure they were finite at one stage). The exact length will need some testing for.
- Slightly reduced speed
- No rim acceleration
- No death zone
- Probably no boost (I say probably because I'm not totally sure about this one).
- Better scoring; something like 1 point for a kill, nothing for a suicide, first to 10 points wins (although this may need some trial and error).

That is all I can think of for now.
Playing since December 2006
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

Thanks for considering suggestions :) I was not able to find the original settings in the thread you linked, but here are my suggestions:

1. Speed - with the current settings this server plays like high speed with no rubber. It's too hard for anyone to maneuver for more than a short amount of time before dying, and because of that rounds are also very short. To have better gameplay I think speed needs to be decreased, whether it's how much speed gained from grinding or decreasing the amount of time increased speed lasts.

2. Rubber - Even if it's set the same as the original, I still feel like when I try to grind a wall, there is some kind of resistance that prevents me from grinding as close as I was able to before. Maybe it's another setting that's producing this effect...

3. I'm also for finite cycle length, no rim acceleration, no death zone, but yes boost (given that normal speed is decreased). If I remember correctly boost was fun because it introduced a surprise element in gameplay (as opposed to being a cheap kill). For example when two cycles are running parallel, you basically know the several things that the other person can do. With boost there are more variations to what one can do, whether it's initiating or reacting.

For scoring I think the 1 point per kill and first to 10 scoring is boring, but I can't think of one I like right now. Maybe we can test different things out.
madmax
Round Winner

Post by madmax »

So far I've made the following changes:
  • CYCLE_TURN_SPEED_FACTOR: 0.99 => 0.95
  • CYCLE_ACCEL: 55 => 45
  • CYCLE_ACCEL_RIM: 0.35 => 0.0
  • CYCLE_BRAKE: 0 => -40 (boost)
  • CYCLE_BRAKE_DEPLETE: 2.5
  • CYCLE_BRAKE_REFILL: 0.0
  • CYCLE_RUBBER: 0.2 => 0.1
  • disabled death zone
Didn't touch the scoring since I think it worked OK with 2pts per kill and first to 40pts / 15 rounds.
Also didn't make the trails finite -- didn't get a chance to test it yet.

Let me know if you try it out.
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

Sorry it took me so long to give feedback, I started putting it off because it takes more than 2 second to do, and then just kept putting it off. I did play it a few times after changes were made though, and I like the new settings a lot better! It plays way better now than it did, the resistance I felt with grinding is also gone so the grinding feels right. Also, I like the bots! Ha. It's actually nice to play with the bots too when no one is around (incidentally.......where is my bot?? I was in N9 earlier than some of the bots there :P )

From what I remember playing with actual players in this server last time, the rounds continue to feel very short. But I don't have that problem playing with bots. I think maybe at this speed, most of us are too noob to stay alive long enough to have satisfying rounds. Maybe speed can be decreased more, but I'll have to play with real players again to see how it feels. I think speed can probably be lowered more though, don't know what you guys think.