traps

Discussion about Nexus9, the no rubber Tron servers that people love to hate.

Moderator: Alpha Centauri

banana

traps

Post by banana »

Just curious to what types of traps people set, or even general strategy.

One trap i like is using the outside wall. i start a bit a way from the wall leaving a tunnel behind me, then go for a second or two and then move right next to the wall creating a place if you go you crash into the wall. It's a great way to trap the outside wall hugger.

any thoughts or other ideas?
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

that would be wall-hugging, wouldn't it ?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: traps

Post by sinewav »

banana wrote:It's a great way to trap the outside wall hugger.
Takes one to know one! :)

Actually, there are a lot of people in Nexus9 that go immediately for the rim at start. Some do it just to avoid the chaos at the beginning when there are 12+ cycles trying to gain position, but some people go for the wall and just stay there.

My strategy doesn't involve a trap necessarily, but trying to carve out as big a section of the center as possible, since often you will be forced to go back through there later in the round. The other thing I do is attempt to bisect the grid at start. Of course, these are pretty weak strategies for the amount of effort it takes to set them up.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I like leaving open paths in the hopes someone takes them. Then I can crush them there. Failing that I take the trip back down the path for fun myself.

There's also a move that's good with 2-4 players at the start where you go left and then double back forming a T. Sometimes it catches players by surprise.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I leave ropes laying around with little circles tied in them. Once a person steps in, the rope gets pulled up by a big wooden spring sometimes called a tree branch and the person hangs from their feet.

Then I grab them by the hair and knock them into my wall.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Lucifer wrote:Once a person steps in, the rope gets pulled up by a big wooden spring
I know exactly what you're talking about, but I don't know the full mechanics of it. What keeps the tree from going SPRONG anyway?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

An extra rope pulling the branch down, released by a trigger. I do think those things only work on humans in the movies, the volume the trap uses (Tree bent down) is too large compared to the area you have to step in. Using heavy stones as a counterweight sounds like a better idea to me, it's less cruel to the poor tree. Or go with spiked pits.