Sumo Scoring

Discussion about Nexus9, the no rubber Tron servers that people love to hate.

Moderator: Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid

Sumo Scoring

Post by Alpha Centauri »

I've been tinkering for the past few days trying to figure out a good ladder metric for Sumo games. The best I've come up with is the "Zone Skill," which is roughly based on zone conquers (and in Sumo, the more zone conquers you get, the longer you've survived), but I ran into a couple implementation problems (like not knowing how many conquerers there are ahead of time, so the points don't get divvied up, etc.) so it seems fatally flawed. Kill Skill seems to still be a pretty good indicator, but I'd like something specialized for Sumo if possible. Any algorithm ideas?
Nexus9 server ultra-admin.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

I came across the exact same problem when writing a ladder for flower power sumo assault. Although I never finished the actual ladder, the groundwork was done for it.
The plan was, as you mentioned, to base the ladder on zone conquers. Where you would score far more ladder points if you conquer the guys zone at the top of the ladder than the guys at the bottom.

armagetron-sty+ct has some extra ladderlog entries. For every zone that is conquered, something like the following entries are written...

Code: Select all

BASEZONE_CONQUERED p1 0 0
BASEZONE_CONQUERER p2
BASEZONE_CONQUERER p3
BASEZONE_CONQUERER_TEAM p2 30
BASEZONE_CONQUERER_TEAM p3 30
So in this case p2 and p3 shared the zone of p1, scoring 30 points each.

Something to be aware of, if you use armathentication or team sumo the zone conqerer team is different to conqueror name.
But there is a message at the start of each round (if you set it)...

PLAYER_GRIDPOS player_1 -178 16 1 0 team_1
which can be used so the ladder script is able to keep track of who is on which team. (don't be tempted to use ONLINE_PLAYER msg, which is written a couple of seconds before the round starts, players can join after this, then the script doesn't know what team they are on).

If you want to go down this route I have a couple of early php scripts you're welcome to.
Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Alpha Centauri »

Ever since I changed our Team Gauntlet server into Sumo, I've just been running two vanilla Tron servers, so I get entries like:

BASEZONE_CONQUERED team_name 176.177 176.177
BASEZONE_CONQUERER username
BASEZONE_CONQUERER username2
. . .
(Does anyone know what the 176.177 values are? They're always the same for every BASEZONE_CONQUERED.)

I do have PHP code in place to determine the players of the team that had their zone conquered, but it could probably be improved a bit (for instance, right now it only includes authenticated players). It works by keeping track of PLAYER_ENTERED, PLAYER_RENAMED, and PLAYER_LEFT messages.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Alpha Centauri wrote:(Does anyone know what the 176.177 values are? They're always the same for every BASEZONE_CONQUERED.)
that's the position of the zone at the moment it was conquerred
Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Alpha Centauri »

epsy wrote:
Alpha Centauri wrote:(Does anyone know what the 176.177 values are? They're always the same for every BASEZONE_CONQUERED.)
that's the position of the zone at the moment it was conquerred
Gotcha. That never clicked because, even though I wrote the map file, I use SIZE_FACTOR -1 and didn't make the mental connection there.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

if i didn't read the post about it i would have been lost too :)