Nexus9 Tron servers

Discussion about Nexus9, the no rubber Tron servers that people love to hate.

Moderator: Alpha Centauri

User avatar
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner
Posts: 8610
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:32 pm
Location: Republic of Texas
Contact:

Post by Lucifer »

Something to keep in mind, above all things, most server admins, in my experience, are trying to make a server that matches some vision they have in their heads of the server they want to play on. Whatever server they're running is the closest approximation they've been able to achieve at that time. Of course, they have to update when they find out their idea of a good server has a flaw.

So, anyway, if you like a server's settings as they are, you should try to get the server admin to give them to you. It may be that they will update later to a version you don't like, and then it may also be time for you to part ways with the server and run your own. ;)

Also, in my experience, a lot of good servers have come out of situations like this, where a previous server admin made an update that some player didn't like, so he started his server as a clone of the old one. No harm no foul, we can't eat people every day or it would get boring, sometimes you have to eat something else.
Image

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

User avatar
Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Post by Alpha Centauri »

I don't know how many (if any) regular Nexus9 players frequent the forums and keep up with this thread, but I just recompiled the servers over the past couple days to add authentication support. This means you can now register and log in to protect your ladder score from others' tampering, as well as a few other things. If you do want an account, you can get one from the site.

User avatar
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:03 pm

Post by Tank Program »

Lucifer wrote:Something to keep in mind, above all things, most server admins, in my experience, are trying to make a server that matches some vision they have in their heads of the server they want to play on. Whatever server they're running is the closest approximation they've been able to achieve at that time. Of course, they have to update when they find out their idea of a good server has a flaw.
That's something that I think was good to just have seen in words.
Image

User avatar
Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Post by Alpha Centauri »

Although I think it was a fun experiment, it looks as if Team Gauntlet will be replaced with something more conventional (probably Sumo or Team Sumo) to actually justify the existence of a second server - not because the added burden is great, but because keeping track of two servers when most people just use one seems rather pointless to me. If anyone who plays on Nexus9 has a strong objection to performing such a replacement, please let me know.

Anyways, in lighter news, anyone who hasn't played on the server recently hasn't seen the new and improved ladder. The original idea for parsing ladderlog.txt was inspired by Eddie and Crazy Tronners, while the new "skill" ranking imitates how the default ladder works, but based around kills instead of just survival. Only authenticated users get ranked on our ladder; however, one can be authenticated with either the forums or just Nexus9, so most people reading this will be in business already.
Nexus9 server ultra-admin.

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6227
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Post by sinewav »

Alpha Centauri wrote:Only authenticated users get ranked on our ladder...
Ah! A friend of mine (and hardcore Nexus regular) keeps complaining to me about not showing up on the ladder. I'll teach him about authentication. Thanks!

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Post by Monkey »

Alpha Centauri wrote:it looks as if Team Gauntlet will be replaced with something more conventional
Good.

Adding your servers to Armagetron Forums Index -> Armagetron Multi-Player -> Servers would be a great idea IMO, maybe under a Nexus9 subforum.

Clicking on register, user list or manage it on your site currently does not work, I get a page with just WRONG_HOST on it.
Playing since December 2006

User avatar
Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Post by Alpha Centauri »

Monkey wrote:Adding your servers to Armagetron Forums Index -> Armagetron Multi-Player -> Servers would be a great idea IMO, maybe under a Nexus9 subforum.
That's something I'd have to talk to a moderator/administrator about, because it seems like one can't post to the Servers forum, and it only serves as a category for specific servers to be placed under; to be fair, I don't know all the ins and outs of phpBB.
Monkey wrote:Clicking on register, user list or manage it on your site currently does not work, I get a page with just WRONG_HOST on it.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that everyone should be using http://tron.nexusnine.org instead of the previous http://tron.nexusnine.info... the latter was set to expire, so I went ahead and grabbed the .org.
Nexus9 server ultra-admin.

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Post by Monkey »

Alpha Centauri wrote:That's something I'd have to talk to a moderator/administrator about, because it seems like one can't post to the Servers forum
Tank Program (a.k.a. Guru3) is solely in charge of these forums. I am sure that he will make you a Nexus9 subforum if you ask him.
Posting is exactly the same in those subforums as in the rest of the forums - you need to create a new topic/thread, or be reading an already existing topic/thread, to make a post (I think that is where you got confused).
Alpha Centauri wrote:I don't know all the ins and outs of phpBB
I don't think you need to know much about phpBB at all.
Playing since December 2006

User avatar
Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Post by Alpha Centauri »

Monkey wrote:
Alpha Centauri wrote:That's something I'd have to talk to a moderator/administrator about, because it seems like one can't post to the Servers forum
Tank Program (a.k.a. Guru3) is solely in charge of these forums. I am sure that he will make you a Nexus9 subforum if you ask him.
Posting is exactly the same in those subforums as in the rest of the forums - you need to create a new topic/thread, or be reading an already existing topic/thread, to make a post (I think that is where you got confused).
No, no, I know how to use the forum, I just meant there'd have to be that dedicated Nexus9 subforum to post anything. I'm not gonna use another server's forum, in other words... that'd make no sense.
Monkey wrote:
Alpha Centauri wrote:I don't know all the ins and outs of phpBB
I don't think you need to know much about phpBB at all.
I was just thinking maybe I missed something on how to post there without posting in a subforum. I'm not technologically ignorant, don't worry. :P
Nexus9 server ultra-admin.

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Post by Monkey »

Alpha Centauri wrote:there'd have to be that dedicated Nexus9 subforum to post anything. I'm not gonna use another server's forum, in other words... that'd make no sense.
?

You could have a forum for Nexus9 specific things..just like the other people in the server subforum. You don't have to post only in that subforum. Am I missing something here, I can't see any issue?
Playing since December 2006

User avatar
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner
Posts: 8610
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:32 pm
Location: Republic of Texas
Contact:

Post by Lucifer »

The part that you're missing is that the server forums these days are really only for servers that aren't running any more. 8)
Image

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

User avatar
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:03 pm

Post by Tank Program »

Bring back the oldies!

I'll create the forum if someone can find me a link to the other nexus9 related thread that's out there. Something about a server based on its settings. For the life of me I can't remember it and I'd like to stick it all together at once. Hell, any threads linked to nexus9 would be good to put in the nexus9 subforum.
Image

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Post by Monkey »

Lucifer wrote:the server forums these days are really only for servers that aren't running any more.
...because most of the currently active servers have their own forums. Nexus9 don't have their own forum. There is nowhere currently for Nexus9 users to post questions/comments/etc that are specific to Nexus9 servers, yet there is a place that they could (the server forum).
Hey, maybe the Nexus9 guys just don't want to have a forum. Maybe they think they would get lots of annoying posts about server settings or something.
Playing since December 2006

User avatar
Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner
Posts: 8610
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:32 pm
Location: Republic of Texas
Contact:

Post by Lucifer »

Monkey wrote:
Lucifer wrote:the server forums these days are really only for servers that aren't running any more.
...because most of the currently active servers have their own forums. Nexus9 don't have their own forum. There is nowhere currently for Nexus9 users to post questions/comments/etc that are specific to Nexus9 servers, yet there is a place that they could (the server forum).
Did you forget to take your irony supplement again?
Image

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden

Monkey
Match Winner
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am
Location: England, UK

Post by Monkey »

Oh damn I was taking Iron supplements by mistake. Better read the label more carefully next time...
Playing since December 2006

Post Reply