Nexus9 Tron servers

Discussion about Nexus9, the no rubber Tron servers that people love to hate.

Moderator: Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid

Nexus9 Tron servers

Post by Alpha Centauri »

Hello everyone. This is my first post on the forums, but some of you here might have encountered me in-game as N9::Alpha. Anyways, I'm here to shamelessly plug the two Tron servers we run, in case anyone's missed them in the server list or not been curious enough to join and start playing.

Nexus9 Deathmatch
tron.nexusnine.org:4534
(16 player maximum)

Sort of our "main attraction," because it has consistently enjoyable gameplay and someone can almost always be found playing. The server is no rubber (well, almost... there's 0.2 for SOME lag protection) with high speeds, very little deceleration, and no double binding (not here to debate the merits either way, sorry). I realize this probably goes against what most people here are used to, but step out of the comfort zone for a while and check it out - it might be more fun than you think. :P

Nexus9 Sumo
tron.nexusnine.org:4535
(8 player maximum)

Traditional sumo gameplay overhauled for no rubber. The physics are exactly the same as the deathmatch, and will stay that way.

More Information

We also have a website online at http://tron.nexusnine.org if there are still some things you want answered before you jump in. If you can't find pertinent answers there, just ask whatever questions you have here.

Sorry for the advertisement. I tried to check the forums and make sure there were no policies against it beforehand, and it looks okay, but I apologize if I missed something. Anyways, come check us out!
Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Nexus9 server ultra-admin.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

No, there's nothing wrong in advertising your server here.
However, I'd also post it here on the wiki.
Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Alpha Centauri »

epsy wrote:No, there's nothing wrong in advertising your server here.
However, I'd also post it here on the wiki.
Sure thing, thanks for the pointer.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

N:9 Rulez! I love the Team Gauntlet server. I hope it catches on. I can't believe how many new maps have been made over the past few weeks.

<--sine.wav
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I hate to say this, but I applaud your proper use of English and grammar. It's good to know there are real administrators out there.
Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Alpha Centauri »

Tank Program wrote:I hate to say this, but I applaud your proper use of English and grammar. It's good to know there are real administrators out there.
Haha, interesting thing to take away from this, but okay, thanks. I was worried I had put too many parentheses in there. :P
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

Alpha Centauri wrote:
Tank Program wrote:I hate to say this, but I applaud your proper use of English and grammar. It's good to know there are real administrators out there.
Haha, interesting thing to take away from this, but okay, thanks. I was worried I had put too many parentheses in there. :P
I think the fact that you worried is part of the point. We're not the grammar police, and we're not going to pick apart your post like an english teacher. Using real words, periods (not multiple exclamation points!!!!!!), and paragraphs is more than we usually see around here.
N9::Kiwi

Post by N9::Kiwi »

As the advertisement turns into a conversation about Alpha's grammar usage. Somehow I'm not surprised. Anyway... hi, I'm the host and one of the other admins. Been busy though, haven't been on in a while.
Nexus9: we're not a clan.
Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Alpha Centauri »

N9::Kiwi wrote:As the advertisement turns into a conversation about Alpha's grammar usage. Somehow I'm not surprised. Anyway... hi, I'm the host and one of the other admins. Been busy though, haven't been on in a while.
And don't take the phrase "I'm the host" lightly. :P The connection Kiwi provides is total overkill for Tron, which is great.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Hey Alpha! Because you are my hero, and I'm in love with the Team Gauntlet "Flag Fortress" map, I've dedicated a server to a variant of it. The server is called, well, FlagFortress. However, the cycle physics are approximately fort/sumo settings and not "no-rubber." But I wanted to say thanks for the inspiration. Nexus9 rulez!
Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Alpha Centauri »

Electric Turtle wrote:Hey Alpha! Because you are my hero, and I'm in love with the Team Gauntlet "Flag Fortress" map, I've dedicated a server to a variant of it. The server is called, well, FlagFortress. However, the cycle physics are approximately fort/sumo settings and not "no-rubber." But I wanted to say thanks for the inspiration. Nexus9 rulez!
Yeah, sure, no problem... just as long as you still stop in and play from time to time. :P I love my Team Gauntlet settings, but it's rarely easy to get a full game going.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Who's idea was the new settings?

Brake & new points system ftl imo

It wasn't broken so don't fix it :(
Alpha Centauri
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Alpha Centauri »

Hoax wrote:Who's idea was the new settings?

Brake & new points system ftl imo

It wasn't broken so don't fix it :(
The new settings were my idea, as were the old ones. None of my settings revisions have ever been perfect, but I do believe that they improve each time. For instance, removing the boost, which was only ever used for 1) cheap kills, or 2) avoiding said cheap kills by speeding to match the would-be killer. Of course, if you don't agree with me, that's fine, but then you're welcome to run your own server. :P I'm a big believer in the thought that something has to be fun/enjoyable/useful for the creator in any endeavor for it to have value for others as well.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I have to agree with Alpha on the settings. When the changes were first made I was pissed. But after I accepted them I didn't really miss the old setting too much. Especially the scoring. The old Nexus9 DeathMatch settings would frequently lead to double, triple, and sometimes quadruple overtime.

I think others felt the same way too. You might remember that C$ made the "Soup Kitchen," which was an attempted clone of classic Nexus9 settings. And, it was abandoned shortly after. I think some of that had to do with other factors like higher pings, but I think the biggest reason was not enough people were nostalgic enough.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Fair enough