Pease...Make A TOURNAMENT!!!!!

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I must say che, that you are definetely going about this the right way. As for
che wrote:what is average round/match time on tigers gos. clone with 6-8 ppl in it?
I can't say... Previous 6-8 player tourneys on Team Play can last up to 2 hours.
Champion
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Champion »

Tank Program wrote:I must say che, that you are definetely going about this the right way. As for
che wrote:what is average round/match time on tigers gos. clone with 6-8 ppl in it?
I can't say... Previous 6-8 player tourneys on Team Play can last up to 2 hours.
Q:When r u gonna wrk on this!?
Hi armegatron DUDES!!!
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Champion wrote:Q:When r u gonna wrk on this!?
I'm not really planning on doing anything orther then give advice. I think it is currently in che's hands to organize.
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

ok

Post by Zapple »

"in ches hands" -Tank

Can I help che with making the torney?
Champion
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Champion »

mr 2!!
Hi armegatron DUDES!!!
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

It's up to che I think. He is the only one so far that has asked any questions about it really...
che
Core Dumper

Post by che »

huh?
organise? me ? lol
i have neither means or knowledge to do it, was just trying to gather ppl who could, so yes any help is wellcomed, thank you guys
but where to start?
we dont even know what would ppl like to see. I'll write pros and cons for two various torney formats; ad poll to it. it will be posted within 36hrs.
than we have to see what wold be most suitable time? is it lets say friday night or saturday afternoon? And as asked here teams or not? what else?
all of this questions should stay open at least two weeks
than we need to hear who is willing to help with side of things that (as sad b4) I'm not even inteligent enough to ask meaningfull question about
for example how to prevent multiple entrys by one player? altough that is not crucial, suner or later he is going to meet himself, but may give chance to try twice in first round. how to prevent that?
who is giong to referee it? on what rules? do we need some other than server settings enforced?
how to establish communication beetween ingame admin (referee) and admin in entry forum? how to make results visible so they can organise next round ?
stuff like that i know nothing about, and no intention to work on it either.
i know we have lot of educated and skilfull people here so why shoud i mess with things i no nothing about?
also how many players are we talking about? not registered names , but real people? which list(s) to use? how many per timezone?
so many questions..
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

@che:
sounds good, che. and taking a page out of zapple's book, i say just start one with whatever settings and guidelines you like, then see how it goes and see what people think. and make it short. i could help if you need anything.

@tank:
is there an IGNORE feature here for users whose posts i don't want to read? i was looking around but couldn't find anything. is there a hacks clearing house perhaps?

bringing me to the question: is phpBB free or a licensed product?
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

@nic: phpBB is a free, open source project. As for ignoring posts, I don't think so...

@che: There is no reason to put yourself down like that. That aside, I don't see why you couldn't do this. You say there a lot of other smart people here, but I hate to say that most of us are working on Armagetron Advanced... I'm sure you could pull this off. Keep in mind that people have to make compromises. For example, zapple is 6 hours behind me... And there are others like subby in Australia...
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

ok

Post by Zapple »

Oh THANKS NIC! Now I have to go buy some tape!

*snatches page out of nics hand, tapes it back*

hehe
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

Che, if you are really concerned about the technicalities of the tounament plays, you should find the posts in this forum regarding these. I remember them being a lot of fun, a lot of bragging a lot of competition. On the other hand, you will also see why we discontinued the whole shebang. Good luck. 8)
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
che
Core Dumper

Post by che »

yes,speed, i can proudly say that i had read every sigle post that mentioned tournament on this forum since feb 24 and im not feeling much smarter.
i saw however why team tournaments didnot work
i think i saw traces of one time tournaments runed by one mans effort and ofcourse that had failed
But i saw some great ideas as well and great will and devotion And also problems that were even predicted, and given time might be solved

I somehow mised post that states the reasons for abandoning the whole concept of having turnaments. If you roll this back a bit, you'll find me asking why that happened. Only thing conserning people who had answered me here seems to be time zones issue, which is not an issue at all. If there are tehnical issues i would like to know, not details cos i wouldnot understand it anyway, but noone sad "lay of it, it just cant be done" so if someone knows that is imposibile please say something
I dont want it done tomorow or next weekend, i want it done properly even if it takes couple of months

And yes, nic, what I had in mind is very centralised event, very seldom one and did my best to keep it small and short, but global

Oh, Tank, i would rather not have it at all, than to have it local. what would it be without zaple, subby and others? have some faith, timezones are NOT the problem
Last edited by che on Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

You've got the main issue there che, time. Which is why I think a 1v1 bracket type thing might work too.
che
Core Dumper

Post by che »

i repeate, time is not an issue, ihave paper on it here, *txt file, how to post it? or convert it to exeptable form?

edit:
oh great, how stupid!!
Well, it's like this:

we are all conditioned to think about time in linear terms;
therefore squizing such event in "normal" time frame might seam imposible while it is only mater of perception
here i tryed to visualise this in form of helix or a fractal, which might prove to be natural order of things ; think of it as a fuge. instead of having 1,2,3,4,5,.....100 try 1,2,3,73,4,5,6,74,7,8,9,75,97,10,11,12....
i think it wold actualy do the trik
you will also notice that proposed timeline for round one even straches through two days, so we have sort of
"overlap" which might be set to cover area (timezone) with most players in it.such players would be able
(if group starting first round at friday eveninig is full) to start their first round at sathurday,
and make it to last two rounds at sunday. individual player however would not have to spend great amount of
time on it; 4hrs at day one for passing first three rounds, and hour or so at the last divided
at two sessions, semis and final separated regretfuly with sad but unavoidable "empty time"
in my pondering i used lots of presumptions in lack of stats; however i think there are enough variables considering round one alone to play with to make it fit; i have also used much larger number of players than i acctually expect to see at initial tournament, just to prove it might work. here goes:

-15 minutes per match should be enough to give us winer under goshdarn settings
-only one server available; would require immaculate coordination and devoted administering, but posible,any adititional server would not save us any time; tourney must last two days to give us all equal chance; but would save great deal of trouble also (that just springed on my mind) would allow us to exploite interesting posibility of playing each phase under different settings,that would bring us true allround champ. also will become necessary when number of players exceedes 800 or 900.

-300 to 400 players; divided in 54 groups of 6 to 8 players spaning through all timezones.winer and runner-up progress to round two, true numbers of players and players per group as well as sceduall will be determined after receiving all apllications, and should be set to meet some target numbers for round two. here i used 108. at submiting entrys player must be able to chose group with timeline that suites him/her best.
-108 players divided in 18 groups by 6; covering once more cirlce around globe; again first two progress to next stage. giving us :
-36 players divided in 6 groups,6 players each; again all time zones are covered; again, first two go on, resulting in
-12 players in 3 groups of 4 players.
here i would abandon standard group A-B-C thing and alow winners from stage 3 to choose beetween those 4 groups yet again most suitable, here also match can and should last a litlle bit longer, if for nothing alse than becaouse only winner goes to
-grand final match !! whose time should be left open as wide as posible but shourly can be aranged somewhere beetween hr 40 (relative time) when last match in round four ends and hr 50 or 52,our absolute time limit.

timetable (for mazochists only)
uses relative time: moment of start is our hour 00 00 (expressed in HH mm) times like 25 20 you can read as hour 01 20, day two from start. huh, now i confuse myself as well. lets for sake of arguement asume that we start at one friday at GMT noon . Add your difference to it. Replace my 00 00 with your result, and add on.
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time

should look like: Cuted out by che in edit #47

well, no way to edit that numbers, what i see is not what i get printed. any way first 4 digits is time of 1st round match, next 4 for 2nd, and if you make any sence of it make it visible to others as well, i will retype it later if neseccary, now must go to work
Last edited by che on Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

You have it as a .txt file? Or as an actual piece of paper. If it is .txt post it in [ c o d e ] brackets, or if it is an actual piece of paper try and scan it in maybe? Or type it in?