Ladle 118 (4th October 2020)

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

johnny.nbk.
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: Ladle 118 (4th October 2020)

Post by johnny.nbk. »

Thanks deli, way to get it started :lol:
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Recordings for 0.2.9.0(.1):

I messed up r1 because I restarted the recordings in a panic, thinking I had joined the same server with both recorders and not remembering which one would have been the correct one... So bits of those matches are in the smaller first part.
r1_deli_evo_vs_pbx_round1.aarec 712kb 58s
r1_deli_evo_vs_pbx.aarec 10940kb 1145s

r1_deso_txa_vs_jh_prelude_start_at_220s.aarec 4272kb 397s
r1_deso_txa_vs_jh.aarec 22644kb 2146s
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Congratulations again to Txa.

The tournament format (round robin) I felt was quite successful for this ladle given that we had so few teams. However, I think it may be a good idea to get some community agreement on what format we should take in the future if we have similarly low numbers of teams signing up. I've decided not to think about if we have 3 or fewer teams sign up.

For four teams, I think the round robin format with 2 matches played was good. This does of course raise the possibility of two, three or even all four teams ending up on the same number of points after the round robin, and I think there needs to be plans in place in case this happens. It nearly did happen this time, as evolve and Johnny's would have ended up on one win, one draw and one loss, but evolve did end up taking a match off Txa. I suppose a single play-off match would suffice?

For five teams, a round robin where each team plays four others followed by a finals would probably take too long (another 45 minutes over this ladle, which was 3 hours). Alternatively, no finals could be an option, but a ladle without a finals is odd, and you can again run into the same drawing problems. Alternatively, elimination with one round-of-8 match, but this means that up to three of the five teams may only play one match.

For six, I think two round-robin groups of three with the winners of each group going to finals would offer a guaranteed extra game for all teams, whilst keeping a finals match, and limiting the time of the tournament.

For seven, I would probably suggest the standard elimination tournament with a bye for the previous winning team.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

syllabear wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:13 pm The tournament format (round robin) I felt was quite successful for this ladle given that we had so few teams. However, I think it may be a good idea to get some community agreement on what format we should take in the future if we have similarly low numbers of teams signing up. I've decided not to think about if we have 3 or fewer teams sign up.
There was a teamleader vote on it for Ladle 115, so following the trend of past votes, we'll keep the round robin format for 4 team ladles until someone raises a case to remove it. I've now added it to the Voting ladle wiki page.
For four teams, I think the round robin format with 2 matches played was good. This does of course raise the possibility of two, three or even all four teams ending up on the same number of points after the round robin, and I think there needs to be plans in place in case this happens. It nearly did happen this time, as evolve and Johnny's would have ended up on one win, one draw and one loss, but evolve did end up taking a match off Txa. I suppose a single play-off match would suffice?
We did talk about this briefly over discord as well. I've added round robin format information and instructions for 2 and 3-way tiebreakers to the Ladle Operations page. Feel free to update this if someone has a better solution for the 3 and 4 way tiebreakers.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Ah, thanks for the info/wiki updates.

Any thoughts on 5/6/7 teams?
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami