Ladle 115 (July 5th)

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Ladle 115 (July 5th)

Post by Desolate »

Sign-ups are open http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php? ... enge_Board.

For this ladle, there are a few options, assuming 4 or less teams again (I'll open up a discussion on Discord as well):

A) All BO5
B) Final BO5 only
C) Round robin - For more on my thoughts on this, see below.
D) All BO3

Round Robin
Every team plays every other team for 2 matches, with the results of those matches being used to seed a final BO3 bracket as usual. Obviously, this is lengthening the ladle a bit, so we could shorten these matches somehow. Either have them be round-limit based or a lower score limit (75?) to speed up these earlier matches.

GLHF
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Ladle 115 (July 5th)

Post by Titanoboa »

Round robin could be fun, as last time I was bummed not to get to play against TBD which would've been a fun match.

Round robin AND semis+finals would be overkill. Round robin should replace semifinals if we add it; the top 2 teams play each other in a final. That'd still lengthen the ladle by a little bit but everyone would be guaranteed more game time.

If we assume 2 matches to 100 takes about half an hour, the round robin could take 90 minutes plus tax (moving servers, getting shuffled and starting matches), probably looking at 2 hours for 4 teams to all face each other. I think everyone would be content with a best of 3 final after that.
All this could be handled with 2 servers, which is neat, but the option to pick EU/US as usual would make sense so 2 of each is all we'd need.

I assume 3 points per win, 1 point per draw and 0 points per loss is implied?

With 4 teams and a total of 1 draw (which is likely enough to happen) we have a point distribution of 9-4-4-0, so we need some other dealbreaker than the 2nd and 3rd teams' result vs each other because they obviously drew. Using match points (e.g. 100-74 & 90-104 = team 1 wins) could suffice and it's very unlikely to be perfectly tied but can we trust people to record these properly? I'm skeptical. At least one person per team would need to be able to post score screenshots to discord and that just won't happen flawlessly.

A single tie-breaker game to 100 could be entertaining I suppose, but would take an extra 20-odd minutes or so before we can move on to the final.

As for option A (normal knockout with all matches best of 5) I'm strongly against it, I don't know why it got brought up and implemented last ladle as the talks leading up to it were always about bo5 finals and nothing else.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

Titanoboa wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:25 am Round robin AND semis+finals would be overkill. Round robin should replace semifinals if we add it; the top 2 teams play each other in a final. That'd still lengthen the ladle by a little bit but everyone would be guaranteed more game time.

If we assume 2 matches to 100 takes about half an hour, the round robin could take 90 minutes plus tax (moving servers, getting shuffled and starting matches), probably looking at 2 hours for 4 teams to all face each other. I think everyone would be content with a best of 3 final after that.
All this could be handled with 2 servers, which is neat, but the option to pick EU/US as usual would make sense so 2 of each is all we'd need.
Yes, I like this a lot :D
I assume 3 points per win, 1 point per draw and 0 points per loss is implied?
Yes!
With 4 teams and a total of 1 draw (which is likely enough to happen) we have a point distribution of 9-4-4-0, so we need some other dealbreaker than the 2nd and 3rd teams' result vs each other because they obviously drew. Using match points (e.g. 100-74 & 90-104 = team 1 wins) could suffice and it's very unlikely to be perfectly tied but can we trust people to record these properly? I'm skeptical. At least one person per team would need to be able to post score screenshots to discord and that just won't happen flawlessly.

A single tie-breaker game to 100 could be entertaining I suppose, but would take an extra 20-odd minutes or so before we can move on to the final.
Agreed, we can never manage to pull out scores like this smoothly, unless we have the server owners on hand to act as a backup. A tiebreaker game would be very exciting though! I would personally enjoy waiting / watching that extra match, but I know some others might not feel the same way and are trying to end as soon as possible.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Desolate wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:11 pmA tiebreaker game would be very exciting though! I would personally enjoy waiting / watching that extra match,
Agreed!
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Thanks Deso for setting up, Z-Man for recording, and Z-Man, Agility and Nelg for donating servers!
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

Thanks for playing, all! Looking forward to more teams signing up separately next time (looking at you dT).

Results
http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php?title=Ladle_115
ladle115bracket.PNG