monthly TST 4 (June 14th 2020)

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

monthly TST 4 (June 14th 2020)

Post by Titanoboa »

The fourth in a series of monthly Team Sumo Tournaments will be played on Sunday, June 14th, 2020.

Yes, we rebranded from mini-TST to monthly TST. Everything else is still the same. :D

Registration opens now and closes on Saturday, June 13th, 18:00 GMT (24h before the tourney).
Opening round will start at 18:00 GMT (that's 20:00 CEST and 2 pm EDT. See full timetable in the document).

Sign up here! /// Tournament document / rules / server info /// Brackets & registered teams list

The old short url mini-tst.tk still works if you want to spread the word. :pacman: :sdot: :sdot: :sdot:

This time all the tourney servers will be in the US (alternating between EU and US each month)!
Titanoboa

Re: monthly TST 4 (June 14th 2020)

Post by Titanoboa »

Brackets have been made! 11 teams signed up for this one.
Screenshot_461.png
Pay close attention to which team goes where. 3 teams advance from the opening rounds with 4 teams, and 2 teams advance from the one with 3 reams. The exact same design as last month's, because it's the exact same number of teams.

Good luck, everyone!
misterplayer
Average Program

Post by misterplayer »

gg's everyone
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

I am not going to keep hosting TST. However, tst is very popular in pickup mode & it would be cool if the series continued. I will do my best in this post to make it easy to continue hosting the monthly TSTs on the 2nd Sunday of the month. There's so much potential for growth.

I think it's ideal to announce it and open sign-ups 2 weeks in advance - sorry for the short notice. Anything more than 8 days in advance should still be alright though, to be fair.

Option 1: Keep using Google docs/forms/sheets

I recommend converting to wiki (easier to be "community driven" that way and more transparent) but it's easier to start explaining here.

The main document (link) - Contains general info & rules. Majority of it stays the same. Most of it is trivial but it can help having a step-by-step.
Step 1 is create your own document then copy & paste the whole thing over into yours, then:

This changes every time:
  • The header - change 4 to 5
  • "was played" -> "will be played" on <new date>; remove "it was won by x and y"
  • add "Sign up here!" link to the left of "Registration closes on <new date>."
  • update the "ad"
  • Server Settings: create mtst-5.cfg if necessary and upload to a repository.
  • Prepare the SERVER_NAME with 2 new colours (the parentheses use an accent colour slightly brighter than the 2nd colour)
  • Servers: add the new colour theme to the relevant servers (EU for 5)
  • Timetable: nothing unless daylight savings come off (25 Oct EU and Nov 1 US)
Brackets - Right-click the sheet and "Copy to > New Spreadsheet". Don't copy the "Registered Teams" sheet.
  • Update the "link to main sheet" url.
  • Reset the brackets.
Registration form
  • Make a new google form with similar questions & options.
  • In the top right of the Responses tab there's a "link to sheet" button. "Link to existing sheet" and select your Brackets sheet.
With all this done, announce the tournament here on the forums and on the discord. Go back to main doc and update the forum thread link and brackets link.

What remains is to close signups on the given date, randomize the brackets, and create the mtst-5_auth.cfg with the logins provided at registration. (Before that just provide the mtst-4_auth.cfg so that if the Server Donor is unable to update auths you'll at least have some admins and team leaders around to start matches.)

That's about it. It's pretty simple but takes its time - the process could certainly be streamlined.

Option 2: convert to wiki

I'm not a wiki wiz, or I'd probably have done this already.
Basically have a quick look at the Ladle page and the WST page, make an m-TST page and copy and edit stuff over from the aforementioned wikis combined with this document. I think it should be rather straight-forward, just a little time-consuming.

The tricky bit might be to create a 4 team bracket template. I have vague memories of creating the first SBT bracket template, so I could maybe help here if you get stuck. The wiki code is fairly noob-friendly though (even I could handle it at one point!)

That's about it; no messing around with forms and linking sheets and such.

If you convert to wiki, I'd be forever grateful if you managed to record m-TSTs 1-4 somehow as well. If not, my old links from the old forum threads will most likely stay available for a good while.

I'm happy to help on here on on discord if anything's unclear or confusing.