1v1 Tournament?

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

~*PsYkO*~

1v1 Tournament?

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

Do any of you think it would be a fun thing to do a 1v1 spoon or sumo tournament? Get brackets of 32 or even 64 people...Maybe even raise money to go to the winner?

Ideas..
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Not sure I'd want to pay money to enter a tournament I know I wouldn't win. Probably would though, sounds like fun.

But I could set up a bookmakers, offering odds on those who've entered.
50/1 Physo to win :wink: etc...

1/1 Favourites (off the top of my head - sorry if I missed someone)

meriton, mazuffer, lackadiasical
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Don't tell 2020 about it though.

He'll try to get 1,000,000 players and get the whole thing played across 500,000 servers. In one day. :lol:
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I think a sumo tournament would rule, but would really prefer the server to be hacked to support it. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, I thought about adding a little server support already. It could even work with an external script; commands could be sent from the players using private messages to themselves :) The script would read them from the log and do stuff.

You could register with "/msg <self> register <password>", and when two players are online who want to play a tournament match, they could say "/msg <self> match <password>". Everyone else is then kicked off the server or into spectator mode, the match is played and the winner logged.

Fixed brackets are probably the wrong mode, they make it hard to get the right people together for a match. I'd suggest a free form knockout match with the incentive to do matches early:
- Everyone who registers starts at round 1.
- Whenever two participants are online that are in the same round n in the tournament, they can start a match. The winner advances to round n+1, the loser is eliminated.
- The winner of the tournament is the player that has advanced to the highest round after a fixed time, I'd say one month. If that's not a single player, the tournament continues until it is, meaning that the winner of the next match in the highest round will win.

These rules mean that the odd player in each round who does not manage to get a match organized can't advance to the next round and is out. Unless, of course, late entries (which are possible in this setup) come in and advace to his round. That's of course grossly unfair if one round starts with three players. Maybe the odd player of the highest round that has an odd player should be allowed to pull the next lowest odd player into his round, so he gets an opponent to fight against to andvance or get eliminated.

Lacking proper authentication, I'm not too warm about entry fees.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

As long as it's not the official tournament I wouldn't have a problem.

Although if we fixed everything up and called it an official one we could charge an entry of like $1 and use it to raise funds. I'm sure there are lots of people that want to see how good they really are.
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

I don't know about an entry fee. You have no idea how hard it would to get everyone to send a dollar over paypal. Maybe some of you that have established jobs could put in a 20 :)

I also say we should pass on the betting and odds...I don't have a bookie to break your knees to pay up :)
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

k i wanna set up this tournament...can I get a couple volunteers to help me out?

My msn is [email protected]
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

sounds good...

i also like the idea that it is a way of generating funds..

hmmm maybe we could get 1,000,000 players and then...
;) ed
hold the line
gnorty
Core Dumper

Post by gnorty »

z-man wrote:You could register with "/msg <self> register <password>", and when two players are online who want to play a tournament match, they could say "/msg <self> match <password>". Everyone else is then kicked off the server or into spectator mode, the match is played and the winner logged.
If both servers are located on the same physical machine - it might even be possible (easy?) to pass a message to another server for a player to haul ass over to sumo.

We were talking on IRC about remote admin on a server and came up with something like

Code: Select all

tail -f ~/armaspool | armagetronad-dedicated &

Which then allowed you to

Code: Select all

echo "say Hello World" > ~/armaspool
and send commands to the running server without connecting to the game as a client. I am thinking something similar could perform simple parsing of the logs from Sumo and pass them to Server B. Maybe even by ftp/smb/http etc it could work across remote servers? Cludgy and nasty for sure, but it works
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The tail method is what I actually use since a few days to give control commands to my servers; it was required to allow both my commands and the commands of the ban shell script to get to the server. Adding the third communication feed would be a breeze, and as long as you have a secure way to allow text messages from one physical server to the other, the game servers don't have to share a machine.

But yeah, it's ugly :)