win the Tronic Spoon!

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Funny how gimmicks tend to go out with a wimper, rather than a bang.
Last edited by Phytotron on Sun May 07, 2006 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
radian
Core Dumper

Post by radian »

yea the spoon was a double kick in the goolies for me ..not only was it difficult to arrange matches...but my own team dident even show for our first match....after i had run my ass off trying to let everyone know............that said ...it did..create a real buzz ...and everyone i spoke too said the spoon really livened things up........so lets have more major competitions..........i beleive the next comp will run much smoother..as we all learnt frm the spoon...so .....bring it on...and lets rock
i just love it
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

gnorty wrote:only ONE MATCH actually played in nearly 2 weeks?

We could easily have completed the playoffs in this time, but only a single match played?

FE have forfeited a match through being unable to come up with a team, and credit to them for being honest enough to do so, but surely we must be near the point where all matches unplayed in the first round are forfeited totally?

That would leave a final between ?? and AW as things stand, but what a shame for the tournament to finish this way, fading out in a burst of apathy!

So come on teams, get yourselves together and play the thing out as nature intended.
I'm totally agree with your frustration here. But please read here how I'm trying to arrange a match with LM for the last 2 weeks http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=3390

What can I do? Force them to forfeit due to taking so long? There's no rule to say they can't take 3 months. There's noone to enforce it if there was.

I have given up caring about the spoon. I'm just letting it hang and see what happens. But don't blame ct for lack of trying. We shouldn't be disqualified because LM can't get a team together.

There really needs to be someone in charge with a clear set of rules.
gnorty
Core Dumper

Post by gnorty »

ed wrote:
I'm totally agree with your frustration here. But please read here how I'm trying to arrange a match with LM for the last 2 weeks http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=3390.
I have sen this, and other similar attempts to get matches organised, only to be met with complete apathy. I totally feel fortunate that our team did manage to get matches played, and take no personal credit whatsoever for that. I am fairly sure that lack made no more effort than others who were not so lucky.
ed wrote:
There really needs to be someone in charge with a clear set of rules.
I disagree with this qute strongly.One thing that I feel is right about the spoon is the emphasis on self government. I think what is needed is for teams to understand the commitment they make to other teams when they sign up. I can understand that some people may sign up not realising this commitment, but IMO it is then up to them to go through with it regardlesss, and simply not sign up next time.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Funny how trying to organize something through the deliberate avoidance, even pseudophilosophical condemnation, of organization doesn't work. Hobbes got some things wrong, but he sure nailed some others.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

gnorty wrote:One thing that I feel is right about the spoon is the emphasis on self government. I think what is needed is for teams to understand the commitment they make to other teams when they sign up.
I agree with your point. As long as teams understand their commitment and make time to arrange matches then the spoon will work with self government.

This, quite clearly is not the case and the spoon has become what it is.

CT played 3 of our original 6 seed matches. The other 3 either didn't turn up or were unable to set a time.

We won 1 match of the 3 we did play and still came 3rd seed. What does that tell you?

I think that if there is another spoon type event there will be far fewer teams sign up, the others wont be bothered with the hassle it causes. Going by this tournament, probably 4 teams.
Then it would be over in a fortnight and be a lot of fun.

And CT would win . :wink:
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

it is easy for osc to name-drop hobbes
but let us remember
there is only so much that we can learn
by glancing backwards...
all of us as tronic addicts are aware of what is ahead
or in fact
what is right in front of us:
an excellent game
internet expandability

the only thing that we are failing at
is our self-organisation
which is understandable given the state of education...
and to make us more efficient
we must conduct the competition in one sitting!

imagine the excitement!

it can be done!
hold the line
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

2020 wrote: we must conduct the competition in one sitting!

imagine the excitement!

it can be done!
Not by me. And I'm sure others are the same.
One of the great things about tron is that if you have 20 minutes spare you can jump straight into the action for a quick blast.
With notice, I can even spare an hour for a match.

I'm a family man. You want to tell my wife I'm taking a whole day off to play tron?
If you do, you're a braver man than I.
Outside Corner Grinder

a few hours is all...

Post by 2020 »

say 9pm gmt till 11pm gmt
which doesn't sound like too much...
even for a family man
hold the line
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

So how will we end this? do we just say the other two quarter finals couldn't be played and aw and ss have a fina? do we let ct go to the next round because they actually seem like they would play another match? do we wait even longer and lose all interest in the spoon? or do we just call it quits?

I'd prefer the first option, but i'm biased.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

2020, you reckon it can be done in 2 hours?
with 4 teams I think you're right, and it'll be a lot of fun.
You need to find out which teams want to enter first and go from there.
If you get 8 teams, only 4 of which take it seriously, then it'll very soon fall apart as members leave, lose members, etc. Then it would become frustrating and you'd have what the spoon is today. Except more people would be pissed off since they've set time aside for this.
Plus if it's self governed and there's noone to say "sorry, you can't get your team together, you're out" then it'll be a lot of fun if complications arise.
Good Luck.

And Lack, if ct are disqualified from the spoon due to LM's lack of response, then the spoon is just a total joke and would have been pointless.
Could have had a match between ?? v's AW and called it The Spoon.

What do you want us to do? say LM haven't responded with a time therefore we win?
Who am I to put pressure on them. I'm not in charge of it. Noone is. As far as I know there's no time limit been set.

How about we set a date. say this sunday. If the 1st round playoffs haven't been played by then the team who couldn't organise a date to play are disqualified.
Last edited by ed on Mon May 08, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Ok, i'm fine with a deadline on sunday. But how do we know which team is to blame for not playing? Should we punish both teams because one of them wasn't into it anyway? I can see how we might be able to decide which team should go to the next round when all communication is open (ie on this forum like the ct and lm match). But how is it decided if ni or mbc goes to the next round?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

If we don't get our game played with mbc before the deadline, advance mbc. They tried to schedule a game, and I admit we weren't as responsive as we should have been. I'm trying to rally my team to play the game, but this is finals week for me...

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

if told in time, the 8th might jump in ;) ... but I guess this is a really wierd tournament if a defeated team returns because other teams fail to organize ;)
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Unfortunately LM have had to forfeit.

So Lack, if you'd like to pop along to http://tron.plantpeanuts.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=140 we can get this show on the road.