win the Tronic Spoon!

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

gnorty
Core Dumper

Post by gnorty »

Now, if I were to walk through the town centre, unilaterally declaring myself to be the messiah, it strikes me as likely that somebody would challenge me to prove it.

I guess I would sooner or later have to do so, or stop parading around.

I vote therefore, for either fe to show up somewhere and put their self-declared elite status to the test, or else change the clan name to something more suitable, like "fortress players just like the rest" or something.
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

Well I've been talking to [fe]sky on thier forums and it looks like most of them don't want to compete in The spoon, so how about give them till the end of the weekend to play a match, otherwise they are out?
You've gone too far, turn back!
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

The lobster/something match is also on the 15th at 20.00 gmt, i just asked ed on their forums if he could get his spoon server up. Next time there's a competition with many matches played we need to have a wikipage where you can make a reservation for the server.

Oh and i'm with gnorty on the fe name change :)
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Lackadaisical wrote:The lobster/something match is also on the 15th at 20.00 gmt, i just asked ed on their forums if he could get his spoon server up. Next time there's a competition with many matches played we need to have a wikipage where you can make a reservation for the server.

Oh and i'm with gnorty on the fe name change :)
The ct spoon is up, as stated here:
http://tron.plantpeanuts.co.uk/viewtopi ... c&start=15

It hasn't been needed before, due to the non teamshuffle noone used it.

I will leave it as it is unless asked otherwise, else all manner of ugly kid joe joins when you'tr trying to get a match going. "Please leave!".
Last edited by ed on Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Deleted
Last edited by ed on Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Can someone explain to me how feuding with SP clan is a "problem"? ;)

I third the fe name thing, but of course we can't actually enforce it. But we can ridicule while the day is long, eh?

Um, we still need to give the lobsters time to finish up their matches, too, and they've been playing and stuff and it's been fun. Why don't we go until, say, Tuesday/Wednesday for both of them? Then whatever Lobsters haven't played count as forfeits, if fe still hasn't played we just delist them like we did with xzl. Then we bracket up and start in on the tourney proper?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

That sounds fine to me.
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

Time to start planning the actual Spoon matches.

Would be nice to get a list of some of the problems encountered, and come up with more hardened rules to avoid them in the future. Rules page on wiki?

Main problem I saw was getting people to show up (for some teams), and determining if alternates would be allowed to play.
gnorty
Core Dumper

Post by gnorty »

I was playing fortress with sky last night, and gave him a prodding re the spoon.

To cut a long story short, there seems to be some political shenanigans going on there, but he seems confident that some sort of team is together and spoon matches are soon coming. I guess they will have a tight schedule, but in theory a day on the grid, taking on all-comers may be enough to clear the backlog. Hope he doesn't mind this post, and maybe someone from fe could clarify the situation properly.
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

Well, Crazy Tronners have tried in vain to organise matches with both LM and fe.

How about we get the old ball rolling on the knockouts?

I know there were a couple of forum problems obstructing the organisation of the LM match. But fe, we just had little or no communication from them from their own website. I know other teams have had the same.

If fe choose to, can they still participate in the knockouts?

Will they be able to organise a team then, as they've been unable to now?

I have nothing against fe, I actually get on well with most of their members. It's just mighty frustrating trying to get a game with them. Takes a lot of the fun out of it.
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

Hm, I don't mind FE missing or taking part ...

I have now 5 players for a new team which will challenge ?? and obviously win :P ... so if FE has not enough players or other problems they might merge with this loose groups of players.

Could everybody point out to interested players that they might join the team and take part for atleast one match in the spoon ?
(if there are too many we can still do a small match to determine the players)

I'll update the Team_List later if there are no more objections (and will then leave ?? *sniff*) :cry: :oops:

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php/Talk:THE_SPOON
ed
Match Winner

Post by ed »

It's not that I mind them taking part. I would look forward to battling them, I'm sure it would be a good match.
But only if they can actually get a team together and organise a time to play.

They'll be the first to admit they're currently unable to do this. I know of at least 2 fe members who are themselves frustrated at their teams inability to organise a match.

The Spoon is supposed to be about fun of the matches. Not the headache of the organising.
eggcozy
Average Program

Post by eggcozy »

Eventually rules will need to be created and followed.

Prior to seed rounds, we had the following from wiki:
http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php/THE_SPOON
team formation:
"The deadline for forming a SPOON Team is March 31, 2006. When it is April 1, 2006 in all places on the globe, it will be too late to signup."

Seed Round:

"All Seed Games should be completed on or before April 16."
"every team must strive to play all games by April 16. Games not played that hold up progress on the playoffs will automatically be forfeited by the teams involved."
So it was stated that new teams can not be formed, but I would not object to a new team.

As for fe, I see no hard rule that said seed rounds were absolutely required.
I think the question should be, at what point in the playoffs should a team have to forfeit if another team can not schedule a match with them.
fe should state though if they will compete or not. (do they have a problem posting on these forums?)
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

ed wrote: The Spoon is supposed to be about fun of the matches. Not the headache of the organising.
organising is not why we came up with the idea in the first place

we have done well so far
and the seed rounds have gone well
though i think there are easier ways of self-organising
which are not traditional

only if it is fun and easy and exciting
shall of us put ourselves through this kind of thing again

roll on knock-out rounds...
hold the line
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

So... are the seed rounds over now, and we start playing the matches that really count, or are they still going?