Ladle 105

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Ladle 105

Post by compguygene »

Obviously, the idea that sine is proposing is not going to happen in Ladle 105. But, we need to start really considering it. You may wonder why there is no Ww team this time. Not enough players to sign up. With sine's method, we could have contributed at least 3 more players. Perhaps it really is time to start thinking about transitioning away from teams and to the best format for the few players left playing the game. The way things stand for this ladle, I may show up in case a team can use me, but I doubt if my mates will. A format that encourages as many players to gather as possible and is as fluid as possible is the best.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Ratchet wrote:You essentially described FFA with a bot choosing teams instead of captains
You still have that IRC Bot code on Github, right? Maybe you would be interested in helping to organize a new era in Ladle?

The way I see it, within 6 months Ladle will closely resemble #pickup but with with brackets. We need to start planning now for a Fortress environment that is flexible since the number of available players will vary wildly. We are going to need a killer bot to help out, but before we write it, we need to determine the event's scope and make some solid predictions about the future community.

Here is the good news: Ladle will continue to shrink, but that shrinkage will eventually stop when we reach the hardcore base. I've seen this in other games. There are still people playing DOOM online and that game started in DOS. Armagetron is no exception. Some of us will be playing for years. As I said earlier, we should make the best game possible for a Fortress community of around 12 - 24 players.
abcd
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by abcd »

BRACKETS

Also thank you Sinewav for helping with bracket.
[Anonymous]
Round Winner

Post by [Anonymous] »

R.I.P Tron, we're in a state where Yellow Sub players think they're good.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

sinewav wrote:There are still people playing DOOM online and that game started in DOS.
I still have a boxed copy of Doom2 for DOS (on floppies of course). Note that Doom2 has the double-barrelled shotgun (unlike Doom1 which otherwise has the same weapons). It makes all the difference to the weapon balance. For those that are too young to know, setting up Doom1/Doom2 for multiplayer play was a very different experience to that for online games nowadays; you had to do the following:
  1. Download special software that allowed you to play with more than two players (sirdoom anyone?).
  2. Set up the (dialup) modem connection information, including Hayes init strings, baud rates, etc.
  3. Dial (via your modem) a BBS (Bulletin Board Server) to find people to play with.
  4. Exchange phone numbers with those people.
  5. Connect to one of them (via your modem) either by dialing out or receiving.
IIRC there was as maximum of four players per game using this system.

How lucky we are these days...
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Fun games everyone.

Gene, if you see this there are some problems with the authorities. In one case the server in Germany would not let us /uninvite. Also, there was a bad round in the m&m/WTF match and no one had the authority to /slap. This is critical. We need to have this straightened out.

I originally proposed a Super-Leader system, but it seems this is overwriting privileges that Team Leaders and Global Moderators have. Let's sort this out immediately.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

I see your post and I will go through and fix any problems. Thank you for the info.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

sinewav wrote:
Ratchet wrote:You essentially described FFA with a bot choosing teams instead of captains
You still have that IRC Bot code on Github, right? Maybe you would be interested in helping to organize a new era in Ladle?
I do: https://github.com/JoshuaGranger/FFABot
I know there are a few people around that know C# as well so feel free to take/modify anything you wish. If you can understand it, of course.

I am certainly willing to re-code it and/or modify it to fit whatever needs you may have for future ladles. I may have written instructions for it for the FFA but I don't have the time at the moment to go and see if I made a page. Assuming this idea is put into place, I also wouldn't mind writing an instructions page for its use. Just get together an idea of what you guys need out of a bot and I'll do it after school ends in ~3/4 weeks. I could have it done by next ladle assuming you guys get together a clear list of needs/abilities for it.

I had a dedicated server for a month or so just to see if I could run it on a linux machine. As it turns out, it does, so someone with a dedicated server can install the proper mono packages and perhaps host it for Ladle usage so you don't have to rely on me or someone else to start it up.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean