Ladle 100 [Official]

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Pre
Average Program

Re: Ladle 100 [Official]

Post by Pre »

i like the idea of winner takes all in the grand finals.. imagine the upper brackets winner simply wins the first series. for me, that takes a lot of the excitement away. i'm not sure about giving the upper brackets winners a match advantage either. it is true however, that the winner bracket finalist usually gets some sort of advantage. how to do that in armagetron is another question... maybe give them the choice of the final server? (eu or us)
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

I looked into my NYC server,
I guess something with the networking in New York sucks right now. (the 174 ping should be about 7)

Slightly after posting (back to normal)
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

algid wrote:PS Slov no show to the event he hyped up? :(
I couldn't make it but I'm glad this turned out well :D
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Pre wrote:it is true however, that the winner bracket finalist usually gets some sort of advantage. how to do that in armagetron is another question... maybe give them the choice of the final server? (eu or us)
This is actually the perfect suggestion. I'd agree to that.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Magi wrote:So regarding to ladles a possible fix could make opening round losses move to the opposite side.
Good ideas guys. I looked at the flow and I think flipping the 2nd round matches would create greater separation and might be a simpler solution. Image attached. Also in the image I have written hints for those who get lost editing the bracket. It's kind of confusing even for me and I have a lot of experience!

The biggest complaint (always a big complaint) is the length of Ladle. I think we should enforce single matches for all Lower Bracket meets and make the final Best of 3 only. This goes against traditional double-elimination, but we must do what we can to make an exciting event and not wear people out.
vov wrote:
Pre wrote:...maybe give them the choice of the final server? (eu or us)
This is actually the perfect suggestion. I'd agree to that.
I would allow the undefeated to choose ANY Ladle server, since ALL of them will be available.

Good discussion. The sooner we decide on next Ladle the sooner I can get to writing the documentation and re-writing my server distributor.
Attachments
2elim02.png
pike
Round Winner

Post by pike »

sinewav wrote:I love to admit when I am wrong, this was an epic Ladle. It went much better than I expected. From the feedback I received in game it looks like almost everyone had a great time.
It was most fun Ladle in a loooong time, even though I am having the worst day ever at work today :) The Ladle took almost exactly 6 hours, it ended 1:40 AM here :P I think even with 8 teams we should start Ladles at least 45 minutes earlier.

Double elimination was great, though at one point the brackets were all over the place.

And for those who missed the final, I recorded it and uploaded it on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvNb7EJ_NGE
(I forgot to turn sound effects on, so I quickly added some retro music instead)

edit: gz m&m ;)
Last edited by pike on Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheRealTweezy
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by TheRealTweezy »

Aw man no ddos this time around
niin
Average Program

Post by niin »

First of all I want to thank the people that filled my Open Team For Everyone (OTFE lol) quite spontaneously. Pretty good matches we had there. To be honest I didn't expect that we win that clear against mU at first (even tho they had a couple of problems with lag).

Now to double elimination, I liked it although I didn't make our double elimination match against CT Alpha it was a good idea. Everyone was a little confused about it in my team but that is my fault. I didn't get the brackets right :roll: I think that comes with time if we keep it double elimination.
pike wrote: I think even with 8 teams we should start Ladles at least 45 minutes earlier.
I'm not to sure about the US starting times, but I would even say that we should make it even earlier. When you start 45 minutes earlier this one would have ended at 23.55 (11.55pm) o.o

gz to m&m
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

I think starting at 1 pm EST shouldn't pose any harm, there's a lot of sumo tournaments that have started at this time and people don't seem to mind. The only people that might is west coast people waking up at 10 am, but waking up early vs europeans being forced to stay up until 1 am playing tron. So personally I'm fine with starting ladle earlier, as long as everyone gets the memo.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Savage
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Savage »

good matches all
Image Image Image Image Image
misterplayer
Average Program

Post by misterplayer »

good match
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Recordings for 0.2.8.3.3, a bunch of them.

Proper final:
final_ctliv_rog_vs_mm.aarec 45696kb 4064s

Upper brackets semi:
semi_ctliv_ks_vs_rog.aarec 26900kb 3239s

Upper brackets quarters:
u3_ctliv_mm_vs_rog.aarec 34976kb 3538s
u3_ctusa_ks_vs_wwa.aarec 46548kb 4762s, starts around 900s

Upper brackets octa:
u2_ctusa_wwa_vs_ctb.aarec 30304kb 3013s

Upper brackets octa and opening together 'cause I missed the switch:
u12_ctliv_mu_vs_otfe_vs_mm.aarec 40708kb 5871s, octa starts around 3900s
Z-Man