Ladle 100 [Official]

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Ladle 100 [Official]

Post by Word »

pru needs one more player, and one or two substitutes would be good. You're welcome to send a PM to Sixzero and/or myself.
niin
Average Program

Post by niin »

Same goes for OTFE (Open Team For Everyone, lol). Some players/subs would be nice :)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

sinewav wrote:Global Mods, do your best to be diligent and patient. There will be a lot of confusion, complaints, troublemakers, and most likely a DDoS attack.
Sounds like fun!

Team leaders, check your PMs here. Also check the alt accounts you made just for this ladle. *cough*Tamir*cough*.
Pr3
Round Winner

Post by Pr3 »

Z-Man wrote:
sinewav wrote:Global Mods, do your best to be diligent and patient. There will be a lot of confusion, complaints, troublemakers, and most likely a DDoS attack.
Sounds like fun!

Team leaders, check your PMs here. Also check the alt accounts you made just for this ladle. *cough*Tamir*cough*.
Thank you Z-man!
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Thanks for the good games, CT and blm!
Agility
Core Dumper

Post by Agility »

One of the most memorable ladles, Great job everybody! Also Monsters Unleashed will be donating a server for next ladle, and ladles to come.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

ct kyles -1
zman fr -1

personally didnt like the new brackets system.

ggs, gz to the winners.
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

Was super fun! GGs!! My 2 cents: I think that if we keep doing double elimination the teams that played against each other in the winners bracket should go to the opposite side of the losers brackets so you don't face the same people twice if you both lose. For example, we (ctb) played against PRU in the opening round, we won, then we lost and fgaced them again in the losers bracket. That was kinda a bummer, we'd have liked to play more teams!

Gz to the winners!
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Gonzap wrote:I think that if we keep doing double elimination the teams that played against each other in the winners bracket should go to the opposite side of the losers brackets...
Yes, this is something we can consider. It won't eliminate the problem completely, but it will make things interesting.
crabby guy sine wrote:I don't want to spoil everyone's fun, but Ladle 100 will not be an epic event.
I love to admit when I am wrong, this was an epic Ladle. It went much better than I expected. From the feedback I received in game it looks like almost everyone had a great time. My favorite part was during the match between Kool Squad and Wild West when Opara said to Syre, "why don't you play center the normal way. we don't have to kill each other, just seal it" (or something like that). I laughed for half a minute. Wish I got a screenshot.

Regarding double-elimination, I strongly recommend that all Lower Bracket round be restricted to 1 match only. Currently we allow the Lower Final to be best of three. This is much too long for Europeans. Granted, this is a much larger Ladle than normal, but I think it is a good idea for future events.

Also, I must stress the importance of having a Team Leader who will edit the brackets after matches, especially in the opening rounds. I did many of the early edits and made at least one mistake because of bad information.

I look forward to next Ladle. I think double-elimination was a success and with a little improvement it should bring lots of enjoyment in the future.

It was nice to see some old faces.
ogo
Average Program

Post by ogo »

six months no play y'all still suck gg noobs
puma.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by puma. »

ggs everyone and gz m&m. great ladle.
algid
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by algid »

Ggs everyone, especially R. Very close games. Sad I didn't get to play final cause of my issues with the server, but psy did the job wonderfully.

+1 Z-man fr
-1 CT LIV

This ladle was a lot of fun, but too long. I spoke to a few people and they also enjoyed it. Maybe we could try double elimination again but start sooner?

PS Slov no show to the event he hyped up? :(
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Most epic ladle I've played yet. 10/10. Grats m&m!

Double-elim:
I like it. I've helped some teams find their server and filled out some results (as always :P) but haven't seen any big problems. Someone got confused and swapped upper and lower brackets while filling them out once but that's it.
I do agree with making it a bit shorter, as sine said 1match LB final could help. Although the first 2 matches from R were abnormally long so that may have been a factor.
I'd still like to try the grand final as a BO5 with 1 match headstart to the upper bracket team, but it may make it too long. I'm fine with a vanilla BO3 too.
Starting earlier could also help. In the past, ladles have started 45min earlier already. I suggest a vote for that.

Servers:
Kyle NYC -1; I had 230-250 ping there (normal 130-150) so I subbed out.
CT LIV +1; Some rounds had small slides but it held up nicely.
I've not played on Z-Man's FR myself but what I heard was mostly positive.
Pre
Average Program

Post by Pre »

Gonzap wrote:Was super fun! GGs!! My 2 cents: I think that if we keep doing double elimination the teams that played against each other in the winners bracket should go to the opposite side of the losers brackets so you don't face the same people twice if you both lose. For example, we (ctb) played against PRU in the opening round, we won, then we lost and fgaced them again in the losers bracket. That was kinda a bummer, we'd have liked to play more teams!

Gz to the winners!
pretty much this. i talked about this with some people before the ladle and that was the thing we kind of overlooked, but changing it would also make the brackets even more confusing for those that are already having trouble with it. i also was surprised to how smooth everything went, so thanks to all the people helping out.

also ggs to everyone we played and thanks to everyone who played / subbed for us!

are we still doing server ratings? if yes:

+1 Z-man fr
+1 Gene NYC
+0 CT LIV (had some issues, pretty sure that was me though, performed fine in finals)
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

+1 Kyle's NYC
+0 CT LIV had some weird moments but it seemed stable as a whole

gz to m&m and ggs to everyone

Moving forward to the next ladle, I think double elimination is fine, and regarding the teams facing the same teams in lower brackets, I kind of have a fix for this that I apply too TST tournies. With my recent tournaments for TST the winner advances to their normal bracket, and the 2nd place team moves to the lower or upper bracket depending on what side they're on. So regarding to ladles a possible fix could make opening round losses move to the opposite side

an example of this from this ladle:
Black Lives Matter, Oops, Bye 2, and PRU would move to the lower half of the lower bracket, and uNk, Bye 1, CT alpha and Monters Unleashed would move to the upper side of the lower bracket. This would solve the problem of teams that lost opening round having to face the same team the next round. It would not fix teams after that though, but moving forward if we go back to our normal average of 8 teams just this one flip of brackets could be enough to get teams player different teams.

We should also discuss the two final matches. I'm fine with the lower bracket finals being best of 3 or 1 match, I have no preference here. 1 match would allow the tournament to end earlier, and let the other finals team have to wait less. As for the finals, considering the rest of the tournament is 'double elimination' it would make sense that the team that made finals undefeated should have more leniency. Whether a best of five is the way to go here, or some sort of handicap advantage for the undefeated team going into finals, I'm not sure. Best of 3 could work just fine too, but now is probably the best time to discuss it while it's still fresh in our minds.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye