Ladle 99

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

orion
Match Winner

Re: Ladle 99

Post by orion »

Monkey wrote:I also thought that double elimination only applied to the initial round(s); to me it makes more sense that way. Is this not the case?
the times i saw double elimination the whole tournament (till finals) in any other game or amateur sport tournament was just awful. keep control of the amount of times a team played, amount of avalible servers, a ridiculous long ladle. just my opinion.
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

An argument could be made to push forward the start of ladle by 45 minutes since Daylight savings has ended and the ladle now starts later for European players and can progress to late at night. Adding double elimination would only increase the time it goes on, so starting a bit earlier wouldn't be that bad of an idea in my opinion. As for available servers, that's not that big of a deal if we stick to our current average of 8 teams, 4 servers in use first round so availability shouldn't be a problem. As for keeping track of which teams have played what I think if we have one or two dedicated moderators floating around this should be easy to keep track, I try to do my best to update wiki for brackets as fast as possible for any tournament, for double elimination team leaders would need to make sure they check the wiki when it's been updated and post their results or find a global mod to tell them the results of their match, if they're uncomfortable with updating the wiki. I think it's certainly doable, but leaders need to be helpful.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Long ago, Z-Man suggested two things that would help double-elimination run smoother. Our current Server Distributor tool will not be useful for the new bracket. To summarize, we need a server setup that allows teams to stay put and a label system to let teams know their path through the bracket.
Pre
Average Program

Post by Pre »

sinewav wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The championship finals of a double elimination tournament is usually set up to be a possible two games. The rationale is that since the tournament is indeed double elimination, it is unfair to have the W Bracket champion eliminated with its first loss. Therefore, while the W Bracket champion needs to beat the L Bracket champion only once to win the tournament, the L Bracket champion must beat the Winners' Bracket champion twice.
The biggest argument against double-elimination is that the winner of the upper bracket often has a long wait for the lower bracket to finish. Then, they might have to play two games to decide a winner. However, Ladle occasionally runs long anyway so I don't see how this would make things worse. And if it is we can change it back!
It might seem slightly unfair in theory, but it's the format most esport-games are going for. THIS format has established itself over most of the online tournaments (that i know of) that are held and that aren't single elimination (if you ignore lower bracket round 1), and in my opinion it's the format that makes the most sense for us aswell.
jedi

Post by jedi »

z-mans rec.:
how can i the videos fast forward?
I eat u..
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

jedi wrote:z-mans rec.:
Here is some instruction for Windows computers:
http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php? ... g_.28XP.29
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

sinewav wrote:
jedi wrote:z-mans rec.:
Here is some instruction for Windows computers:
http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php? ... g_.28XP.29
I think he means fast forward while the recording is running... (like in a video player)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

aP|Nelg wrote:I think he means fast forward while the recording is running... (like in a video player)
Not possible. You can only do it from the command line at launch.