Ladle 99

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Ladle 99

Post by Slov »

congrats to winners

yay, ladle 100 is up next!
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Congrats m&m for the win and congrats to Wild West for beating Crazy Tronners.

Compguygene's GER server +1, no lag at all for me.
Playing since December 2006
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Good matches everyone and grats to m&m! That finals was intense, looking forward to ladle 100
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Pre
Average Program

Post by Pre »

best ladle i've played in for a long time. that finish, jesus.

gg's everyone we played and gj to Ww beating CT!

Kyle NYC: +1 (first match was pretty bad for me, but that was my connection having hickups and vs Ww it was pretty decent. my team had more struggles than me though)
Compguygene's GER: +1 (one or 2 slides, other than that perfect for me)

regarding ladle 100: is it settled now that we will use double elimination brackets? i'm all for that but i'm wondering how the matches, especially in the lower bracket will be (bo1 or bo3)
and maybe make the finals bo5 since it's "special"? might get too late time for most europeans though.. just my 2cents

edit: also thanks to magi & everyone else who was involved in making/updating the brackets (or wiki page in general) and all the server hosts!
Last edited by Pre on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
puma.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by puma. »

gm's everyone, gz m&m
THEred
Core Dumper

Post by THEred »

was a fun last match, ggs m&m
red
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Recordings (0.2.8.3.3):
final_cguy_mm_vs_rog_part2.aarec 42448kb 4086s (noticed the server switch too late)
semi_cguy_rog_vs_saf.aarec 18404kb 2459s
semi_kyle_mm_vs_ww.aarec 28792kb 3363s (don't be as confused about m&m's match score in the team name, I did not miss the first match)
TheNate
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by TheNate »

Great Ladle!

gg's and gz m&m
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

gee gee, good ladle

Kyles NA +1
Comp GER +1
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Pre wrote:and maybe make the finals bo5 since it's "special"?
No no no. Let me explain why this is a bad idea. Remember what "double elimination" means. You have to loose twice to be eliminated.

Imagine this very common scenario: The team from the lower bracket (who have one loss) beats the team from the upper bracket (who have zero losses). Both teams now have one loss and have to play an additional best of three to determine the winner. Making the final B05 means the possibility of playing 10 matches. That's ridiculous. B03 is going to be plenty long and will probably average about 4-6 matches anyway.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

puma.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by puma. »

I'm pretty sure double elimination only applies for the first round, so making the finals bo5 wouldn't be that bad of an idea.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

I also thought that double elimination only applied to the initial round(s); to me it makes more sense that way. Is this not the case?
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

puma. wrote:I'm pretty sure double elimination only applies for the first round, so making the finals bo5 wouldn't be that bad of an idea.
Monkey wrote:I also thought that double elimination only applied to the initial round(s)...
Nope! Just so you know I'm not making this up, here is the explanation from Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:The championship finals of a double elimination tournament is usually set up to be a possible two games. The rationale is that since the tournament is indeed double elimination, it is unfair to have the W Bracket champion eliminated with its first loss. Therefore, while the W Bracket champion needs to beat the L Bracket champion only once to win the tournament, the L Bracket champion must beat the Winners' Bracket champion twice.
The biggest argument against double-elimination is that the winner of the upper bracket often has a long wait for the lower bracket to finish. Then, they might have to play two games to decide a winner. However, Ladle occasionally runs long anyway so I don't see how this would make things worse. And if it is we can change it back!