Ladle 97

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Ladle 97

Post by compguygene »

@Z-man. You would think that Amazon EC2 servers would help with this. However, it has been my experience in having used Amazon EC2 instances for tournament servers that sometimes the servers are being moved around in the cloud (something Luke-Jr warned me might happen) so they become completely unusable for gameplay.

As to the use of IPtables on a server. You can do that, and I have done so on my servers. But, these attacks are going through the open ports that the game server uses, acting like normal traffic. Hence the reason for the behavior that Z-man has described.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

if youre gonna do a custom connect to avoid ddos attacks, im assuming youll pm the ip to team leaders.. if so, the ddosers will just sign up for ladle to get the info
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

Vogue wrote:if youre gonna do a custom connect to avoid ddos attacks, im assuming youll pm the ip to team leaders.. if so, the ddosers will just sign up for ladle to get the info
A way around this could be to have a certain requirement for amount of ladles played for the team leaders, or for new team leaders that want to sign up a new team they would need some sort of vouch from other team leaders. It would probably hurt the already dwindling community size though.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

its worth a try, havent been around so idk how bad the ddos situation is atm but it sounds annoying

any technical minds got an idea how we can track the ddosers? we could contact their isp/parents lol
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

echo.bot wrote:1. A server delivers IP, port and all relevant information. This is kept on the back end/Server to Master Server side. Servers are then served up and listed using alpha numeric naming the same way they are now but with out revealing the IP information of the game servers. This was poor planning on the part of the developers and was a ticking time bomb. Anyways this system would work similar to the way DNS serves a text based address in place of an IP address.
That sounds nice. However, it's also half baked. How are clients then actually connecting to and communicating with the servers? Answer that and you'll probably realize yourself that it's either naive or crazy :)
echo.bot wrote:2: To prevent people from spoofing servers and stealing logins etc, everyone who hosts a server(s) would need a private key issued to them that would be sent to the Master Server before it can be listed on the Master Server List.
The proper way to prevent login stealing is to prevent login stealing. What exactly would the private key protect? The server name? People would just pick names that are similar enough to the server they want to spoof, but different enough that whatever comparison we use does not hit.
compguygene wrote:@Z-man. You would think that Amazon EC2 servers would help with this. However, it has been my experience in having used Amazon EC2 instances for tournament servers that sometimes the servers are being moved around in the cloud (something Luke-Jr warned me might happen) so they become completely unusable for gameplay.
Aww well. Maybe other hosters don't have that problem? Business wise and technical, there is no reason that cloud servers can't be just regular VPSes you pay for by the hour (with appropriate rates, of course).
For myself: check out these guys.