im not registering

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Light
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Re: im not registering

Post by Light »

Soul wrote:if you think that I don't like the idea just because I don't feel like registering then you need to learn to read. tard
Well, if your goal is saving the competitions community you're going against yourself and hurting it by trying to get a boycott going. Try and make the best out of what you're given and help improve what we can actually use. Given some time, the people here for competitions and stuff will likely all end up there and it won't be a problem. Its likely it will be more active there than here in the near future. Hopefully though this opens up better development communication like they're wanting and we hey more out of the game as well. Win/win?
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

I had already messaged Light about the forums switch and I disagreed with it; but we're not going to get anywhere as a community if a decision has already been made in that regard.

I also noticed in my haste of my response to Light that I hadn't actually sent it to him, whoops. This is what I said in response to pretty much what Light has said (keep in mind, that this was written up on Friday). Condensed a little bit to get rid of irrelevant comments.
Overrated wrote:I don't think it's a bad idea per se. I just think it's bad timing mainly. Right before ladle when people generally only check the ladle topic and move on. No one had updates and I can't assume that updates are being made and proper procedures have been done (brackets for example).

Instead of locking the forums outright they should have been linked to another topic (that was active) at the least in the section saying where discussion was taking place. For active tournaments people are left just wondering why the topic was locked and move past it, not notice it at all, or not bother registering for the new forums. I think it should have been more updated and displayed the fact that there were going to be separate forums.

If integration was immediate then it would be no issue, but even then what was the point of moving the forums around at all? Competitions are part of the game and I personally disagree with the moving of the forums but I understand where you guys are coming from on the separation. Could we not have just had a different subforum set up though? Like have separate sections in the armagetron multi-player to competitions subforum. Instead just make the main one of those competitions and move from there like you sorta have it now.

I'm sure it'll be better but again I dislike the fact I have to navigate two forums. Why not just make a general forums too? Let's ignore that branch of the forums too and just let it focus on development, which tournaments are in a sense part of honestly.
Now, at this point, after sitting on it for a few days, I think this could be a good opportunity for us as a community. It is currently giving us a whole new slate to work on that allows us to solely focus on the development of the competitions for the more experienced players. It looks a lot better on us if we have whole sections separated for the major tournaments we take part of. Could this have been done on these forums (which I alluded to above)? Probably, but it seems like they have a plan in place and if we look into it further it might be best for the long-term development of the game.

I have one main issue about multiple forums accounts. How many people here actually check each individual clan's forums, or even have accounts for all of them? And how active are each of those forums? I think most people in clans generally just check their clan's forums and the main forums and leave it at that. I think that although this new forum might negatively impact us at first, I think it will end up resulting in most who care for the competitions to migrate over there to discuss it. The only thing you really lose at that post count and that should be irrelevant. You could still login @forums in-game so that should also be irrelevant.

Another thing worth mentioning is we could use the @comps to now act as an authorization to participate in certain competitions. I think that's more likely to alienate the community, but it is worth bringing up the discussion.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
Light

Post by Light »

Over

As far as multiple accounts goes, it will probably turn out that most of the people that are here for that stuff will tend to stick there, and the few here for development will likely not mind checking both. I'm the future it will probably be the more likely place for a lot of player discussion.

As for your comps only tournaments .. I think once it gets to be more normal that its as it is it would be kind of useless. Kind of like servers that require logins then only allow a couple auths. Just pushes a group of people away. I could see wanting users to be there but they won't all want to change what auth they use.

Also with clan forums, you could link them in your teams board .. Well I could for you so there's an easy way to get to them for people. A problem is that a lot of people don't even know many of them exist. I still fall under your group you mentioned because I don't really have an interest in checking other clan's stuff. That's just me though.

Finally your development of competitions idea I think will hold true. We can customize the place to make getting info on the tournaments much easier and it won't be so easily buried in other stuff for other tournaments people try to run. Of course were going to have to get past the migration period for users but once that's done I can't see much on the down side of all of this.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Changes will, or won't be made regardless of your opinions; haven't you got that yet?
breeze
Average Program

Post by breeze »

I'm not in favor of the move, I think it alienates one of the most active parts of the forums. I know the toxicity of it at times is another issue all together. However, I think it's important to have a cental hub; with all flavors of competitions being an integral part of the community. If we must move, is it possible to copy the look of these forums for continuity's sake?
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

here is Orion`s opinion of all this!

the idea was planned to boost the competition, etc, etc. and so far all you got is a drama. I agree with most, I like the old classic Competition subforum from arma forums.

If it was another kind of page, with stats, results, brackets, logins, more automated and well looking system then OKAY! go for it! but its a (no offense) pretty ugly forums with nothing attractive on it.

missing old days where people used to talk about competitions, clan wars, recruitment, etc. nowaday its more a durf+badmod characters concert duo, bunch of fake accounts with no life, clueless ideas :(

going to watch Better Call Soul last Season chapter..... go watch u newbs
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

So some ideas people are suggesting:
  • Better integration with this forum for continuity
  • The new forum should be prettier
  • Tournament specific features on the new forum
I think we'll be able to use groups to form subauths, so for example if there's a CT subforum, we can have a matching CT forum group. This then ties in to a @comps/ct auth.

I have an idea I'm currently investigating for moving the contents of the competitions forum across for better continuity.

Regarding better moderation here, it's being planned.
Amaso
Core Dumper

Post by Amaso »

This only causes confusion for even more new players
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Amaso wrote:This only causes confusion for even more new players
Yeah, if they are complete idiots.

In the history of this game there has never been a problem with the community coordinating events, most of which have been hosted on other sites and forums. This complaining about the Competition sub-forum closure is some of the weakest, childish whining I have ever seen here.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: I'm registering

Post by Z-Man »

orion wrote:If it was another kind of page, with stats, results, brackets, logins, more automated and well looking system then OKAY! go for it! but its a (no offense) pretty ugly forums with nothing attractive on it.
Yep, and the thing is, in the new place, you may actually get all those things. Here, not so much.

I'll admit: I'm not a big fan of splitting things up like that. It's inconvenient for everyone and if you think it will reduce the overall moderation work you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise. And the introduction was far from ideal what with everyone thinking it was an April Fool's joke, myself included, and no grace period at all so that the last Ladle could have still been organized to its end here. But you have to see the potential benefits. Light is quite good at building this kind of stuff. Tank is more conservative when it comes to implementing fancy forum features. Give it a bit of time and a chance. If it doesn't work, we can always roll it back.

And regarding the extra login, many of you are already registered at a clan forum or two. Another login won't kill you. That said, a unified account system for the two forums and the Wiki would be neat.
Amaso
Core Dumper

Post by Amaso »

sinewav wrote:
Amaso wrote:This only causes confusion for even more new players
Yeah, if they are complete idiots.

In the history of this game there has never been a problem with the community coordinating events, most of which have been hosted on other sites and forums. This complaining about the Competition sub-forum closure is some of the weakest, childish whining I have ever seen here.
Most noobs are idiots when it comes to tron.
Mods hold this "L" this was the biggest mistake you've made.
Amaso
Core Dumper

Post by Amaso »

Z-Man wrote:
orion wrote:If it was another kind of page, with stats, results, brackets, logins, more automated and well looking system then OKAY! go for it! but its a (no offense) pretty ugly forums with nothing attractive on it.
Yep, and the thing is, in the new place, you may actually get all those things. Here, not so much.

I'll admit: I'm not a big fan of splitting things up like that. It's inconvenient for everyone and if you think it will reduce the overall moderation work you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise. And the introduction was far from ideal what with everyone thinking it was an April Fool's joke, myself included, and no grace period at all so that the last Ladle could have still been organized to its end here. But you have to see the potential benefits. Light is quite good at building this kind of stuff. Tank is more conservative when it comes to implementing fancy forum features. Give it a bit of time and a chance. If it doesn't work, we can always roll it back.

And regarding the extra login, many of you are already registered at a clan forum or two. Another login won't kill you. That said, a unified account system for the two forums and the Wiki would be neat.
Okay I'm convinced. Let's try this out.
Light

Post by Light »

Z-Man wrote:That said, a unified account system for the two forums and the Wiki would be neat.
That would be a bit of extra work. Also, it wouldn't line up properly once you're active on both forums. I think a unified registration is more realistic.

In the direction of that, now all you have to do is log in there with your account here and it will register you if you're not registered already. That should cut down on a little bit of the annoyance of making a new account, right?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Armathentication?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Magi
Match Winner

Post by Magi »

I'm fine with a switch, mainly because I don't mind reading 5 minutes of posts to see what was said and know there's a different forum now. After having read the entire Durf PM conversation, a simple registration to a new forum is easy enough. Also you guys are right, most people do mainly come here for competition stuff, so why not have our own forum for it? Just saying I don't see it as that big of a problem.

In other news, Shovel is on april 19th for people who haven't signed up yet, and I may be in need of a few servers for it, posting here cause not many people are on new forums yet
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

bye