Ladle Player Rule #13 Vote & Discussion

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

dinobro
Average Program

Re: Ladle Player Rule #13 Vote & Discussion

Post by dinobro »

Apparently not to everyone ;)
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

Well it is to the majority of us, so yeah, ban the racist/sexist/homophobic names.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Durf wrote:As a "minority" Nazis have a right to represent themselves without it being considered "offensive".
How would you feel being told that WHO YOU ARE is offensive to a bunch of people, so you're not allowed to be that...?
It's ridiculous how unwelcoming this community is to people who aren't just like them.
Everyone likes being accepted, no one likes being ostracized. Be a little more open minded I say...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
desgorn
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by desgorn »

Vogue wrote:
Durf wrote:As a "minority" Nazis have a right to represent themselves without it being considered "offensive".
How would you feel being told that WHO YOU ARE is offensive to a bunch of people, so you're not allowed to be that...?
It's ridiculous how unwelcoming this community is to people who aren't just like them.
Everyone likes being accepted, no one likes being ostracized. Be a little more open minded I say...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh you didn't even edit this , he literally typed this. oh...well then...
Amaso.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Amaso. »

You want this rule to be as concrete and solid as possible.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

I don't like the fact that you all specify groups that are protected. What about the others ?
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

wap wrote:Let's also not forget to not be racist towards serial killers and child rapists. They're in the minority after all
Regardless of who they are, does it make "racism" (as you put it) the right thing to do?
I'm not saying that we should condone such 'habits' (as it were). My point is just that everyone should be able to play the game and enjoy it (regardless of who they are). But staying on topic, a clearly written rule should solve any issues regarding sensitivity / intolerance.

@F0RC3: I actually agree with the change from "discriminatory"; really what I had a problem with was the dependence on what the public views as negative (like an open-ended question). There are a number of reasons; a couple are: minority groups and what their viewpoint is, and that the "public" itself changes over time, so for a written rule, I just thought it should be more absolute (like a true or false question - no doubt if the rule was broken or not, everyone can agree)

@Olive, Like I mentioned in my response to F0RC3, it is just overall better if there is an "ironclad" rule put in place. Mainly to avoid future transgressions, but also as a "safety net" (if you will) for those pesky trolls that just like to test their limits. Better to have it than not.

@Gonzap: Just how harmful is it to you that someone has a team name that you don't agree with?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning offensive material, all I'm questioning really is just how offensive this is. You use the example of "homophobic" and the fact is that some people are. Perhaps they see it as who they are (as if it was out of their control) and they can't be any other way.
Why / How would identifying themselves as a homophobic in itself be offensive or harmful? I mean, don't you think that's a little outrageous? It's like telling someone what they can and can't wear.
Not trying to argue that offensive material shouldn't be banned...I'm just saying the words chosen should be universal so to speak. And I understand that might not be so easy...hence this thread.

@Amaso.: Agreed.

@takburger: Do you have a suggestion for a wording specific enough that can ban the offensive material, while protecting an individual's right to represent themselves how they want without being subject to prejudice? And it being clear and concise enough to be a solid foundation for everyone to agree when the rule has been broken without any doubt..?
Like I said, it isn't an easy thing to do. If you got any ideas though, that would help get a nice rule in place.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

ummmmmmm I have to admit that I only skimmed most of this thread, but

Who wants to join Amazing Christians? only need 4 more cuz Jesus will be our def.
Hm, maybe not a good idea to have a holy def. Maybe this then
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Titanoboa wrote:ummmmmmm I have to admit that I only skimmed most of this thread, but

Who wants to join Amazing Christians? only need 4 more cuz Jesus will be our def.
That team is limited to 12 people, coz one more and something bad happens.

Durf: "Team / Player names cannot carry hateful meaning toward any group."
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

takburger wrote:
Titanoboa wrote:ummmmmmm I have to admit that I only skimmed most of this thread, but

That team is limited to 12 people, coz one more and something bad happens.

Durf: "Team / Player names cannot carry hateful meaning toward any group."
That's pretty good!
Though I'm not sure it's specific enough to be "iron-clad".

It leaves it up for interpretation...I mean, wouldn't one have to feel hate for something to be considered having hateful meaning? (the hate people have for what Nazis are makes them consider the word N4zi to carry hateful meaning. "Nazi" doesn't mean "HateJews" - at least it doesn't have to mean that. But let's not argue over that...not in this thread anyway)

Really, I'm not trying to argue the attempt because it seems I can't do much better..
We just need to find a way to make sure this rule can't be bias or show favoritism in any way in order for it to truly be fair for every group (IMO). Leaving things up for interpretation allows for bias :<
Not to mention trolls that will certainly find loop holes...pesky trolls.

Perhaps if we better defined what "hateful meaning" is or what the limits of offensive materials are and differentiating that from someone that's just being over-sensitive.
Like, what is it EXACTLY about "N4zi" that needs to be banned? To a person like me, I don't necessarily see a reason as I don't see why it should have to offend anyone of any group (it's just a team name; text on your screen while you play a video game).

Though overall, I think we're making some progress.. :D
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

Durf wrote: @Olive, Like I mentioned in my response to F0RC3, it is just overall better if there is an "ironclad" rule put in place. Mainly to avoid future transgressions, but also as a "safety net" (if you will) for those pesky trolls that just like to test their limits. Better to have it than not.
Because this is has turned into a debate for the sole purpose of debating. We aren't drafting a constitution.
I can't recall that player names were ever a problem prior to this nazi reverence, and they shouldn't be a problem now either.

One finds a name offensive and reports it. If the majority of the teamleaders/community agree(s) then the name should be altered. [common sense]

In the hypothetical case a vegan would find the name 'Olive' offensive and finds it worth to create a shitstorm on the forums because of it, I personally wouldn't enjoy being a drama lama and sticking to my so-called 'rights'. I'd rather change my name and get over with it. This community spends far too much time writing mini-essays than actual cruising on the grid. The troll wins again.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
blondie
Core Dumper

Post by blondie »

vegans?
but olives are fruits not meat

sigh, i don't understand.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

What olive says is better then if we can't find common sense over terms.

"If someone find a name offensive he may report it. The other players can then debate it and proceed to a vote and remove the player / team if he does not change the name".
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

If it was that easy you wouldn't see so many people in that topic who have absolutely no problem with Nazi names and defend them - but they do. Olives also don't happen to be, you know, organized in a political party, and haven't committed murder or promoted intolerance.

(edit: mostly directed at olive)
Last edited by Word on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

I wan't to have a strict answer to that issue because of the recent nationalism outbursts in europe... (few examples : Golden Dawn, Pegida etc)

Not even talking about the sad things in France where racists are gaining powers. I don't want to be in such a place and if I could I would say '**** it i'm outta there' and create my own country with freedom and love.