unfortunately named persons and teams

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Monkey
Match Winner

Re: unfortunately named persons and teams

Post by Monkey »

@Lucifer
What does your nickname, "Lucifer", represent?

@Word
Word wrote:I should add that my image of Jack the Ripper was a romaticized one at the time - as if those murders never happened and he was just a fictional Sherlock Holmes villain who teased the gullible police. :)
Whatever the name of the murderer(s), those murders *did* happen. At best, you named yourself after someone who was attempting to divert the course of justice with respect to multiple murders. At worst, you named yourself after a serial killer.
Word wrote:I don't think a team whose players identify themselves as Nazis, mass murderers and anti-Semites (without exception) should be allowed to play.
Let us not forget how much "mass murder" has actually happened around the world. Here is a short but relevant article to read about the historical genocide of Native Americans:
http://www.iearn.org/hgp/aeti/aeti-1997 ... icans.html

So maybe we should ban names such as "Team USA" too...
Playing since December 2006
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

I can't believe I wasted 15 minutes of my life reading this donkeyshit
Attachments
for-the-love-of-god-please-just-shut-up.jpg
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Jonathan wrote:
Tank Program wrote:
takburger wrote:pls try to be synthetic, i don't have time
Sympathetic? ;)
Super Grammar Nazis!!
So I searched about that alleged mistake and found this link :
http://www.linguee.fr/anglais-francais/ ... hetic.html

Do not read the french part, only the english is enough.

In substance, "be more synthetic" means to go straight to the point. It may not be used in english very often, but it is in French and it seems that it is how we would translate as a french.

So, I'm sorry and replace my sentence by : "Omg Durf it is too long, please go straight to the point".
Last edited by takburger on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

@dinobro:
HOLY SHIT, AMERICAN (citizen of the US) nor CANADIAN is a race what the hell...

Since you like wikipedia so much, here is the page defining sociological definition of race:
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_%28sociology%29
First of all, yes they are, and I will get to the proof in a bit. Your raging posts claiming they aren't can be considered and insult since Americans wouldn't be different from any English. Your pretense will not succeed since you're arguing with a dictionary.
Second, did you read past the first paragraph on the webpage you linked?
Not only does the "simplified English" link reduce your credibility when you claim to even comprehend what I'm typing, but even down in the section labeled "related pages" there are at least 5 links I would point you to.

Also stop your hate. I get that you don't like me, but you can not like me in silence. There's no need for you to spread hate-filled propaganda in an attempt to besmirch me.
Frankly, I'm sorry that I cannot be concise enough for you.

Now about that definition of "race":
You do realize that you're trying to argue about the definition of "race" just so that you can say that I was wrong when I said you (people) were being "racist against Nazis"..?
Really, it doesn't matter what the definition is because you are treating people horribly simply for being something you have a personal problem with. That is a form of discrimination that is offensive in itself. It doesn't matter if "they deserve it" or not. It doesn't make it right. Whether or not you consider the people you are offending a "race", it doesn't make it right.
Now I'll indulge for a moment on the specifics of the definition(s) of "race".
F0RC3 quoting a dictionary wrote:a group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group.
The fact is, it doesn't matter if you interpret the commas as "and" or "or". F0RC3 was right. One example is Canadians (both English and French). Each share a history (for the most part), but they do not share the same culture or language. Check the definition again: a race is a group of people sharing the SAME of each. So yes, a change in either one would define it as a separate race. The term "race" is merely used as a method for us to categorize a group of similar people when we're talking about them. see link (you don't need to read much farther than the first line; you can if you want though. The more you read the more you will understand on what "race" actually is)

@ppotter: The only reason why we're discussing Nazis is because I was questioning the lack of sufficient ruling regarding limitations to team names. And the fact that the team name in question is called "N4zi". Please do not buy into the propaganda attempting to besmirch me as I have said before that I do not condone offensive material and I have not stated that I am a Nazi (or not a Nazi). Much like the "sexism" thing, the perceptions of the readers aren't always capable of seeing the entire train of thought. Much of that conversation, and this one, has been instigated by others, questioning and challenging what I meant by "everyone should have the freedom to represent themselves how they want". They are merely antagonizing and any response I give could be perceived as something negative if you chose to do so.

That being said, I'm well aware what Nazis are and what Nazism is about (before, during, and after the war). I'm not saying that "you should all be more tolerant, so support Nazism!"...no. I'm just trying to make aware that "Nazis" are people too. No matter their beliefs or customs, shouldn't you still be able to enjoy an online game together without having to start a war?

And like you said yourself, it could just be someone that did it because they thought it'd be cool.
Really...it shouldn't matter. Even if they were full-blown Nazi and fully admitted to killing Jews IRL and even offered proof....you wouldn't be condoning his actions by allowing them to represent themselves as they are (or as they want). More importantly, would you prefer that they are forced to hide and pretend to be one of you?
People are people, no matter which group / race they belong to. If you support individual rights and freedoms, you must give them to all groups / races in order to keep from being a major hypocrite / racist (though technically if that's how you want to live your life then go for it. I'm not dictating how you should live your life).
Regardless of the negative perceptions you have, they are people.

Consider if you would ban the following team:
Name: Communists or Communism
Players: Vladimir Lenin, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, Enver Hoxha, Pol Pot, Fidel Castro, Nicolae Ceausescu, Kim Jong-il, Mengistu Haile Mariam, Jyoti Basu

Not only is this a different political view than what you might have (basically the reasons given so far to ban "N4zi"), but these people also have committed atrocities and crimes against humanity.
Does this make the names a problem? If it's such a problem, do you complain this much about your history books?
No one is going out of their way to to harm anyone else by trying to name their own team name something that they want to be called (regardless if it's just testing the limits). It's not like these "Nazis" are going out to kill all the Jews in Armagetron (though this could be interpreted as them going out to exterminate others IN-GAME, such that their clan is the "master race"..in which case it's kind of creative when you think about it)

@orion: just because people have made insults to an entire group of people (fasttrack players), it doesn't mean that they even wanted to be a part of any of these discussions. Most of that is actually discrimination (tron racism, you could call it). Just because we play on the same server, doesn't mean they share my views. But it also doesn't mean we have to be at each other's throats for it.
That being said, I suggest you don't perpetuate the stereotype, in case you end up offending some fasttrackers.
Also, your post is overall amusing :) ...I don't see it as a fight or something to win though. These are forums and I state my opinion. You can condemn me for having a different opinion than what you may have, but you can't punish me for it. We are free to discuss any differences in opinions, and they will either reach a resolution or an impasse. And sometimes people just have to agree to disagree. Remember this is a game after all. Have fun not hate (<--my overall point of view in this thread).

@takburger: Shame, I know I write a lot sometimes. Sorry, I'll try to keep this short.
I agree with what you said. Completely. People ARE here to have fun, and it DOES suck when there's hatred.
All this 'nonsense' is discussing is what the true issue is. My opinion is that it is the hatred that a lot of people carry within themselves for "Nazis" that cause people to even be appalled by the team name "N4zi" in the first place.
It shouldn't matter even if they are Nazis IRL, this is a game and we should all be able to play together no matter who we are. (tolerance; doesn't mean you approve of who they are and what they do. You merely tolerate that they are playing the same game that you are.)

@Johnathan, loved the video xD Not sure how it relates to grammar Nazis though. Still hilarious, I wonder how effective that is in reality. Funny stuff.

@Gonzap: I am not supporting Nazism in any way. Really it is just a relevant example because of the team name "Nazi". My point was to question how this was a bad thing given there wasn't a rule at the time.
Furthermore, if there IS a rule, it shouldn't be limited to "no Nazis allowed" while allowing other political views. Rather, it is more like an "all or nothing" deal.
You allow everyone to represent themselves as they want (seeing as how it's just a team name - this thread alone has mention much more detailed topics of Nazis and Nazism which itself is technically more "offensive" than any team name would be - it's just text on your screen.) OR you disallow certain names based on a set of universal conditions that doesn't favor any particular group.
That is, unless you support the idea of a bias justice system...? Don't be confused by what you read.

@Monkey: You make very valid points. I'd like to see what people have to say about "Team USA" and the genocide they are conveniently okay with.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

The Americans to their credit never had death camps for organized annihilation of a demographic they felt was inferior to them and they didn't invade other countries without warning because they were arrogant enough to attempt world domination. And wouldn't you say that the states themselves are rather heterogenic when it comes to the treatment of minorities/non-WASPs?
The difference between "Jack the Ripper" and "Nazis" is that one was the name of an unknown murderer who probably didn't seek to change the political landscape (although he inadvertently contributed to reforms of the police at the time) and it's safe to assume that he's dead by now (he remains an enigma even though every year someone comes up with a new verdict concerning his identity - he could have been anyone) whereas Nazis have a well-known agenda, are still committing hate crimes around the world and try to set foot in the public eye.
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
dinobro
Average Program

Post by dinobro »

TIL: Canadian is a race.
Durf, everyone tells you that you are wrong. Face it. You are not smarter than everyone here. Your posts make no sense and are mostly jsut bullshit. Just stop.
Last edited by Z-Man on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: image snipped
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Durf wrote: @takburger: Shame, I know I write a lot sometimes. Sorry, I'll try to keep this short.
I agree with what you said. Completely. People ARE here to have fun, and it DOES suck when there's hatred.
All this 'nonsense' is discussing is what the true issue is. My opinion is that it is the hatred that a lot of people carry within themselves for "Nazis" that cause people to even be appalled by the team name "N4zi" in the first place.
It shouldn't matter even if they are Nazis IRL, this is a game and we should all be able to play together no matter who we are. (tolerance; doesn't mean you approve of who they are and what they do. You merely tolerate that they are playing the same game that you are.)
You could have wrote it this way :
Sorry. I agree on the fun. But I think it should not matter that they are NAZI or call themselves NAZI.

My answer :
It does matter. Nazi's ideology is based on the hatred of other people. All the nazi groups in europe are illegal and are doing raids against ethnic groups and want to get rid of groups of population.
So yes they are hateful.
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

More autism related bullshit. Where's the ban hammer now? Is it okay to use autism as an insult now? Show some ******* empathy.

About the topic at hand I think tak is touching the critical points so I won't just type the same thing. And no, I can't have fun nor enjoy a game with Nazis.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Durf wrote:@Johnathan [sic], loved the video xD Not sure how it relates to grammar Nazis though. Still hilarious, I wonder how effective that is in reality. Funny stuff.
The text between the lines says: Duck and cover! I dropped a bomb here.

Durf, here's where your problem lies:
Durf wrote:It leaves it up for interpretation...I mean, wouldn't one have to feel hate for something to be considered having hateful meaning? (the hate people have for what Nazis are makes them consider the word N4zi to carry hateful meaning. "Nazi" doesn't mean "HateJews" - at least it doesn't have to mean that. But let's not argue over that...not in this thread anyway)
That is basically what it means. And by using it as a name you act out such associations. Pretending you live in a vacuum where nothing means anything is naïve. Do it, take flak.

Something like The Swastikas might work as a fringe thing if you're authentic about other associations. You need a strong case. But going full Nazi? No way. Not to mention such views haven't exactly died out. You know who would likely become our prime minister if we held elections now?
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Amaso.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Amaso. »

dinobro wrote:TIL: Canadian is a race.
Durf, everyone tells you that you are wrong. Face it. You are not smarter than everyone here. Your posts make no sense and are mostly jsut bullshit. Just stop.
Attachments
image.jpg
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Monkey wrote:@Lucifer
What does your nickname, "Lucifer", represent?
I'm sorry but are you comparing mass murderers to [religious people, close your eyes!] A FICTIONAL, NON-EXISTANT, NEVER EXISTED, ENTITY?
.Lightning
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by .Lightning »

What is the point of continuing this thread or any of these threads I've been reading lately..they are a complete waste of time. This is just a he said she said debate that will never end. I understand you all have egos that you want to withheld and prove how smart we are, but seriously? We could all be using these hours of senseless research and typing and think of something more productive associated with the game in which these forums are meant for.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

.Lightning wrote:What is the point of continuing this thread or any of these threads I've been reading lately..they are a complete waste of time. This is just a he said she said debate that will never end. I understand you all have egos that you want to withheld and prove how smart we are, but seriously? We could all be using these hours of senseless research and typing and think of something more productive associated with the game in which these forums are meant for.
QFT.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Gonzap wrote:More autism related bullshit. Where's the ban hammer now? Is it okay to use autism as an insult now? Show some ******* empathy.
Kind of a good point. dinobro...
takburger wrote:So I searched about that alleged mistake and found this link :
http://www.linguee.fr/anglais-francais/ ... hetic.html

Do not read the french part, only the english is enough.

In substance, "be more synthetic" means to go straight to the point. It may not be used in english very often, but it is in French and it seems that it is how we would translate as a french.

So, I'm sorry and replace my sentence by : "Omg Durf it is too long, please go straight to the point".
Mind == blown. I had no idea synthetic could be used that way. I stand corrected!