unfortunately named persons and teams

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Cody <3
Match Winner

Re: unfortunately named persons and teams

Post by Cody <3 »

Amaso. wrote:So if he renamed "N4zi's" to "WeHateGays" it would be ok because he would mean WeHateHappyPeople. No sign of homophobia at all.
WeHateHappy doesn't make sense at all.

Listen maybe you're 12-14 years old in real life, but armagetron has been around for a bit and most of us that have been here for awhile are adults.

Do you really think we're stupid enough to actually believe a team named "WeHateGays" would translate to you guys saying you hate happiness?

My reasoning for Super Gays is actually to mean Super Homosexuals, I was using "Super Happy" just for the reasoning that Super Happy isn't discriminatory nor is Super Homosexuals(for which when I use the team name Super Gays, that is indeed what I'm meaning)

When people see the team name they know that it means a team full of gays.

And actually given it more thought, I shouldn't of used Super Happy. Because the team name is Super Gays, not Super Gay. Gays is implying a person.

But still super homosexuals isn't discriminatory
Last edited by Cody <3 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEW 1v1 Sumo SB Tournament SITE
http://1v1sb.weebly.com
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Vogue wrote:And?
And what?
aP|Nelg
Match Winner

Post by aP|Nelg »

Vogue wrote:
aP|Nelg wrote:And?
And what?
You're the one who is supposed to answer that question...
Amaso.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Amaso. »

Vogue wrote:Btw just for everyone's information, the guys posting in Durf's defence and Durf himself are all from the Fast Track community and Hitler is from there as well. I'm assuming these people are all under alias (amaso & hitler) because they're scared to speak under their own name. Sad really.

And uh? It's a fact that mentally ill people were put in camps or sentenced to death as well. :roll:
Wrong. I am from HRS was going to try fort but players like you...Pft I do not need anymore drama. Nt though.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

aP|Nelg wrote:
Vogue wrote:
aP|Nelg wrote:And?
And what?
You're the one who is supposed to answer that question...
Ok.
Amaso. wrote:Wrong. I am from HRS was going to try fort but players like you...Pft I do not need anymore drama. Nt though.
Bye.
Amaso.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Amaso. »

@Cody
"IHateGayPeople" Could mean I hate happy people. You should rename it Super Homosexuals to avoid confusion then.
Cody <3
Match Winner

Post by Cody <3 »

Amaso. wrote:@Cody
"IHateGayPeople" Could mean I hate happy people. You should rename it Super Homosexuals to avoid confusion then.
Na cause the team has been around since Ladle 23, pretty sure everyone knows what it means.

and again everyone here knows when you say "IHateGayPeople" you don't mean you hate happy people. Like I said your age is showing and I think its time you need to finish up your multiplication table.

You said that I have a team called Super Gays, yes and ? you have yet to prove why you even pointed out my team in this topic about offensive team names. I'm waiting.
Amaso.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Amaso. »

Cody <3 wrote:
Na cause the team has been around since Ladle 23, pretty sure everyone knows what it means.

and again everyone here knows when you say "IHateGayPeople" you don't mean you hate happy people. Like I said your age is showing and I think its time you need to finish up your multiplication table.

You said that I have a team called Super Gays, yes and ? you have yet to prove why you even pointed out my team in this topic about offensive team names. I'm waiting.
New generation of ladlers could be homophobic and no one can get rid of a phobia as easy.
Cased Closed.
Cody <3
Match Winner

Post by Cody <3 »

Amaso. wrote:
Cody <3 wrote:

New generation of ladlers could be homophobic and no one can get rid of a phobia as easy.
Cased Closed.
Homophobia is frowned upon in the tron community and any players that show public homophobia will be dealt with accordingly.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

@Vogue...stop harassing other.
I only ever use the name Durf, stop making assumptions.
Stop insulting people of a different game type than you.
It's a fact that mentally ill people were put in camps or sentenced to death as well.
Yes that's a fact. You brought it up as if those with Asperger's had a mental illness, or worse, that Asperger's itself was a mental illness.....this is just plain ignorance.
More and more assumptions; they will leave you in a sad place in life.

You can put all the shaking banana faces you'd like; the fact of the matter is you're racist against Nazis.

@Nelg, I think they were being sarcastic...Whatever lol...

@Word, yes the Wikipedia article says that...*face palm*....you're really going to let the actions of someone in history dictate (lol) how you live your life? You would allow yourself to be limited in such a way?
"The Jesus Christs" or "I'm The Pope"
^ you said you wouldn't ban these...yet they have just as much reason to be banned given your reasoning. ANYONE can find ANYTHING offensive. Yet why are some things allowed while others are not? Bias. Pure and simple. You're a Nazi hater. (Not that I blame you, but my point is, leave your hate behind, this is a game. Not some place for you to uphold and enforce your personal morals onto others)
My proof of how you are completely full of it now is that you seemingly stopped reading the sentence halfway through:
Wikipedia wrote: Because of its use in Nazism, in many Western countries the swastika is stigmatized, while it remains commonly used as a religious symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism.
^ As you can see, there is more than JUST what you perceive. Every negative emotion you feel from it is your own fault. Become a Buddhist or Hindu...that should solve your pent up hate for what is just a symbol.

Here's another example: The team name "The Grammar Nazis" (OMG it has "Nazi" in it! Ban it!)
There is a fairly good example as it is THE VERY SAME WORD, used in a very different context.
If you choose to ban this, at least you'd be showing consistency (albeit still very bias).
If you allow such a name, then you are a hypocrite. You would realize that the word is just a word for this case, but not current team in question. That's how.

@Cody, about the "Super Gays"...I think it raises a valid point. Anyone with the prejudice and the bias to do so can be overly offended by that name. Though as you say, it is not discriminatory in any way.
That is an overall good example of someone just looking for reasons to complain.

You shouldn't have to rename because someone else gets confused or offended. It's not even close to actual being discriminatory or prejudice. I mostly agree with you. (Clearly defined rules would help)

Though, that being said, the word "gay" is still used in its original sense of the word. "IHateGayPeople" is up for interpretation. Here's an example: "The flaming homosexual was prancing in such a gay manner before he caught fire". Incidentally, gay was originally used to describe a man of a "happy" nature...sometimes too happy and too comfortable with his body (and that of other men). Over time the word does change yes, but the original sense of the word is still in use today. "We'll have a gay old time!"

Amaso.'s latest post shows exactly the line of thinking people are pursuing to justify the banning of the name "N4zi". Like I said, ANYONE can get offended at ANYTHING. And sure, it's nice not to offend people. But sometimes people complain too much (often to see just how much power they have).
(p.s - I think he meant like a phobia as in trauma...someone who doesn't want to be exposed to it for any reason whatsoever - analogous to the feelings people have towards Nazis...literally no valid reason)

It's...just...a...name.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Durf wrote:the fact of the matter is you're racist against Nazis.
I'm also racist against homophobes and sexists! :stubble:
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

yet they have just as much reason to be banned given your reasoning. ANYONE can find ANYTHING offensive. Yet why are some things allowed while others are not? Bias.
That's relativism without any roots in reality.
you're really going to let the actions of someone in history dictate (lol) how you live your life? You would allow yourself to be limited in such a way?
I don't know where I said such a thing. Any person living in the present is confronted with things that have been done in the past and needs to build on that. The more they know about it, the better they can change it according to their needs.
My proof of how you are completely full of it now is that you seemingly stopped reading the sentence halfway through:
I didn't. You just keep singling out a part of the symbol's meaning that has usually been irrelevant in occidental history. I'm not a Buddhist or Hindu. Granted, I only have a vague idea of what the second World War was like, based on media and tales of people I know, but it concerns me more than Asian religions do. In fact, most people on these forums don't happen to be Hindus and Buddhists and are likely more familiar with their own continent's history.
Grammar Nazi
Who am I to call for a ban when the point of the term isn't to promote hate or offend people but to describe and mock a certain kind of pedantry that the Germans/Nazis themselves displayed, and proudly so...
Last edited by Word on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

I'm not sure if either of those are "races"....

Though your admittance to racism technically alleviates you of any and all credibility regarding racist matters.
You cannot form an opinion one way (against racism) whilst supporting your own version of racism. Without looking like a massive hypocrite that is. (given that you called others this very word recently, you should understand..)

@word...I keep trying to show you the other side of things, because YOU seem to be solely focused on the occidental viewpoints of the symbol. All I've been saying is that there are other people in the world.
Unless you're about to suggest that they don't matter, they should have a say in the matter too.

How would you feel if a religious symbol of yours was being bashed on by people of another religion simply because of actions taken by a completely unrelated third party? Overall you would argue your perspective on how it's just a symbol. Yet, it can have any negative meaning to anyone else...so why would YOU be held responsible for your beliefs?

Didn't mean to cause confusion in the midst of all those quotes. I know you didn't say such a thing, but it is limiting to only think the symbol has the tainted meanings of Nazism. After all, the reason why they chose the symbol in the first place is what should carry on...Not bad association. You yourself pointed out that many other cultures have used the symbol. If the US started a war with the letter "A" and committed atrocities while associating themselves as "A" - it would have the same effect, yet would you condemn the letter for it? would you stop using it? (I don't think you would)
Point is, it doesn't have to be negative.

Really, I'm not supporting Nazism nor am I supporting offensive material. This was only a condition in which there are no defined rules which would allow total freedom. As it turns out, there's a thread now to discuss the rule specifically.
So I'm perfectly willing to let the rule decide this matter.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Durf wrote: @word...I keep trying to show you the other side of things, because YOU seem to be solely focused on the occidental viewpoints of the symbol. All I've been saying is that there are other people in the world.
Unless you're about to suggest that they don't matter, they should have a say in the matter too.
I think your misunderstanding is that the two different meanings neutralize one another instead of being both valid in their respective environment.
How would you feel if a religious symbol of yours was being bashed on by people of another religion simply because of actions taken by a completely unrelated third party? Overall you would argue your perspective on how it's just a symbol.
I wouldn't be entitled to force my interpretation upon the people who have suffered under it and claim that swastikas are just religious geometric shapes in my culture and therefore harmless.
would you condemn the letter for it? would you stop using it? (I don't think you would)
Th@t's @ good ex@mple for once. Yes, I'd consider to @bolish "A" if the new me@ning is @ble to surp@ss the old one.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

I think your misunderstanding is that the two different meanings neutralize one another instead of being both valid in their respective environment.
I'm actually glad you said this. You realize then that it's just a character (a letter) up for the interpretation of others.
I wouldn't be entitled to force my interpretation upon the people who have suffered under it and claim that swastikas are just religious geometric shapes in my culture and therefore harmless.
Likewise, you are not entitled to ban it for your interpretations either. As banning it in itself could be offending to those who consider it to be religious.

There's 2 sides to every coin, so saying "only heads is allowed, no tails" is clearing choosing a side, choosing a bias.
My overall point was to eliminate bias (the basis for assumptions and prejudice). Without bias, you can see words (and symbols) for their true meanings, and not any bad associations.
Th@t's @ good ex@mple for once. Yes, I'd consider to @bolish "A" if the new me@ning is @ble to surp@ss the old one.
...please...it's a letter. Any perception of a meaning "surpassing" an older meaning is relative.
Like I mentioned before, the Nazis purposely spread the propaganda (adopting the symbol as their own).
Whereas its TRUE meaning, is much like a letter of the alphabet, it serves a purpose and should exist.

I'd be saying the same thing to you about the letter A. It's not the letter's fault that the USA would decide to do those things. And while the letter may have a certain context in a war, it would carry less meaning when in that context as time progresses. Much like the swastika, more and more people are not becoming offended by it because we as a people grow out of things. Including bad habits like holding onto prejudice (against a symbol no less)

It doesn't have to offend you if you don't want it to.
Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree or something. I feel as though this got cyclical a few posts back. :|
No hard feelings though, you're entitled to your beliefs. :wink: