Ladle 89

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Core Dumper

Re: Ladle 89

Post by *16 »

Gms KSI, Ww, Rd

Deli: +1 (the server itself was fine, but it's outdated from ladle 86. Auths weren't updated, and there was no spam-protection, which swag nicely used.
Agilty: +1 (We moved there for our 2nd match vs KSI, so that's also not on the recording.
KyleNYC: +1

I Really think all servers were fine, very few slides & spikes.
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

-1 Kyle's NYC. Was fine until around the end of the first match and lag started to come into play more for me. Could have been the fact it started raining/sleeting and was possibly the likely reason, but I wasn't the only one who had an issue with the server. We had at least 3 rounds that I can remember that we were down one player due to some sort of crash or lag on our end. I restarted modem near beginning of 3rd match and came back to the server being better but still laggy.

We went to CT USA after the crash between 2nd/3rd match and even though we were there for maybe one round or two (before kyle's came back up), it felt a lot smoother than kyle's ever did (I know a few on our team said so, not sure if ever said in tron or just over TS though. was in phone call as we were switching servers and what not). Not going to rate it because we didn't play, but feel it's worth a mention.

gg's RD players, congrats on the win. Server change wouldn't have impacted the outcome, I'm happy with how we played given the circumstances.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Good matches everyone! :)

What is server quality based on? I'd figure connections, and they were all fine. The servers had other problems though.
Deli's UK: +1; had old auths though.
Agility's NY: +1; also old/no auths
Kyle's NY: +1; but had a teammate unable to log in after reconnecting and no possibility to /op.
I give those a +1 for the connection and stability but all in all it would be more of a 0 when I consider the other stuff.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

vov wrote:What is server quality based on?
Server quality is based solely on user feedback, either positive or negative (+/-1). There are currently no hard metrics to gauge servers. Feedback is totaled monthly and recorded on the tracker. The system is based on the following assumptions:
  1. Arma is lightweight and can run with minimal resources. Any quality problems are usually due to ISP routing issues and individual connections.
  2. For the most part these problems are not fixable by users or hosts and are in the ISP domain.
  3. Loosely, we only want to use servers that have good routing for the majority of players, most of whom play regularly. Regular feedback is the best way to accomplish this.
This system works well enough, and could probably be improved, but then someone would have to do more work every month. Things to improve ratings might include the geographic region of players, the names of hosting companies and ISPs, the actual hardware specifications of each server, and the type of player complaint (lag, black screen, choppy play) since some of them can actually be traced to hardware problems. Of course, collecting all this data would be a huge task and probably not worth the effort considering we only have a few servers to choose from. We have what we have and that's all we have.
Core Dumper

Post by *16 »

vov wrote:... and no possibility to /op.
That got removed some ladles ago. Team leaders can't /op anymore, only mods can. :)
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

You'd be surprised to find how often connection problems are entirely local. Lately I find the part outside homes tends to be very reliable, unlike the part inside. Some examples that I've experienced at various places:
  • Wi-Fi cutting out due to a weak signal or interference.
  • Wi-Fi cutting out due to a shoddy access point. Brand names won't save you.
  • Wi-Fi anything. It can work pretty well with some hardware and software but almost always fails miserably at some point.
  • NA(P)T losing state somehow. You can instantly make new connections, but established connections just die without ever recovering.
  • The router's built-in DNS server cutting out.
  • DHCP refusing to do much for a while.
  • DHCP dying altogether. Was a predictor of the whole thing cutting out soon. Memory leak?
  • People sharing your connection hogging all bandwidth.
  • Idiots eagerly resetting stuff that was working fine. E.g. repeatedly killing the main router for a few minutes when a separate access point is the culprit. "Look, it's working now!" Yeah, that access point tends to come to its senses after a few minutes. Meanwhile you broke everything else, too.
Not all of these will interrupt your game the same way, but they show just how flaky things are. You can't trust anything to work properly, especially cheap consumer stuff and Wi-Fi. Even if your internet connection really is bad, you shouldn't underestimate these effects.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Curses on you wifi! For those playing on it make sure a fridge or washer or something with a compressor/motor isn't between you and the access point. Or just nearby in general. Those things are hell on EMI, especially if they're old, and remember that the FCC specifies that you have to accept all interference you receive with a device like wifi...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Tank Program wrote:Curses on you wifi! For those playing on it make sure a fridge or washer or something with a compressor/motor isn't between you and the access point.
Damnit Tank, don't tell me these things. My modem and router sit on top of my refrigerator because that's where the best signal is. Now I don't know what to do in light of this new information.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Congrats RD, and thanks for replaying the last match after those lag bombs.

+1 CT USA
-1 Agility's NY
-1 Theo's FR3
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

pike wrote:There were some serious troubles with servers, especially two top ranked Ladle servers - Kyle's NYC and Theo's FR3. Any specific reason why they both sucked today? :(
kyle wrote:I have not had the time to look at the logs, but if it is crashing between rounds, it may be due to all the logins at once, since i have not been able to get z-threads installed on that server for mid-round login.
blondie wrote:would make sense, crashed between the 2nd and 3rd quarterfinal match of RD vs. R, when the other quarterfinal had just finished and people were joining. Then crashed before the finals, when everyone was joining and logging in.

OK looking in logs there were a bunch of log in attempts, turtle mode was activated, 3 users logged out, then all the users had these messages (except for 2 of them)

Code: Select all

[0] User 22 does not know about netobject 1112 ( gCycle nr. 1112 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 284, name °°Blaze ).
[0] User 22 does not know about netobject 1111 ( gCycle nr. 1111 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 197, name Drunken Soul ).
[0] User 22 does not know about netobject 1110 ( gCycle nr. 1110 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 5660, name Gazelle/% ).
[0] User 22 does not know about netobject 1109 ( gCycle nr. 1109 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 5577, name anna kendrick ).
[0] User 22 does not know about netobject 1108 ( Nameless NetObject nr. 1108 ).
[0] User 22 does not know about netobject 1107 ( Nameless NetObject nr. 1107 ).
then for all of the users (except for 2) this message appeared (IP removed) came

[0] User 18 timed out.
[18] Killing user 18, ping 0.295374, IP *.*.*.*:*: You timed out.
@z-man, if you think you can piece it together with the console log, I'll send it to you
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but these messages often occur after someone joins :

[15] Received login from *.*.*.*:56707 via socket *.*.*.*:4539, network version: 0.2.8.3.X (ID: 16).
[15] New user: 15
--------- 8< ---------- snip 20 lines ---------- >8 ----------

Timeout! Reason:
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4683 ( gCycle nr. 4683 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 5084, name Coco ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4682 ( gCycle nr. 4682 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 5124, name ogopogo ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4681 ( gCycle nr. 4681 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 5211, name Dewdrop ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4680 ( gCycle nr. 4680 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 8461, name Hoax ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4679 ( gCycle nr. 4679 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 6824, name blondie ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4678 ( gCycle nr. 4678 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 7344, name �Potter ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4677 ( gCycle nr. 4677 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 7567, name Nagi ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4676 ( gCycle nr. 4676 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 5957, name <{Big}> ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4675 ( gCycle nr. 4675 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 5908, name <{Andrei}> ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4674 ( gCycle nr. 4674 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 11936, name <{Vorbis}> ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4673 ( gCycle nr. 4673 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 6008, name <{Ampz}> ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4672 ( gCycle nr. 4672 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 8051, name <{Nate}> ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4671 ( Nameless NetObject nr. 4671 ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4670 ( Nameless NetObject nr. 4670 ).
[0] User 15 does not know about netobject 4669 ( ePlayerNetID nr. 4669, name the�|AoS| ).
[0]
--------- 8< ---------- snip 5 lines ---------- >8 ----------
[0] User 15 timed out.
[15] Killing user 15, ping 0.220154, IP *.*.*.*:56707: You timed out.
Agility
Core Dumper

Post by Agility »

Sorry about my server for ladle. As for auths, are they updated now?
Core Dumper

Post by *16 »

The auths get updated a few days before each ladle. They depend on the teams signing up and their team leaders. So they can't be up earlier then the end of the sign-up period.

Each server needs to update the settings and auths when pike puts them up. (Which is a few days before ladle, normally)