Yes, another one of thxmp's ideas.. "Bracket Experiment!"

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Snxpflash
Average Program

Yes, another one of thxmp's ideas.. "Bracket Experiment!"

Post by Snxpflash »

Ok, you all know Im an enthusiast and probably overly passionate about this game and its future. But, you dont have to be like me to see the benefit of this idea. Pushing 90 ladles and though I havnt been there for all of them I know on the grand scale of things there hasnt been a whole heck of a lot of flexibility in the process. I was thinking and I realized NOTHING has more control over the outcome of ladle then the 'random brackets'. Like, dont you just feel sorry for Ww when their 1st round is vs Rogue who just won 3 straight ladles? (just using as an example) All because the bracket just randomly sorted that way? Ladle experience is hard to come by and I believe teams need to be matched up according to their skill level/past performances/Or just hype in general!

Im proposing a few unbiased skilled players who would like to help organize an experimental ladle bracket for next ladle! The idea is simple, for the experiment to work we need to formulate AS MANY teams as possible! I know in a months time we can improve on this 7 team showing of last ladle.. In fact i bet we can double it. The volunteers would put together at least 2 possibly 4 brackets and let the players/community vote on the bracket they want to see. Generate some fun ladle predictions and get everyone talking! Do whatever has to be done to give enough time for teams to be locked in and brackets be made, even if we need to figure out a way to give a little more than Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Maybe this ladle.. we make cutoff 1st Monday of the month, and play ladle 2nd sunday..Heck, if absolutely necessary we can skip 1 ladle just to prepare for this one.. make a goal of 10 registered teams (even numbers only if possible) so there will be no 'byes', and once we reach 10,12,14 etc teams we can close signups, just this one time for experimental purposes!

Some additional possibilities:
* Teams can challenge other teams before brackets are made, any teams accepting the challenge would get their own 1st round bracket facing their challenger etc.
* A losers Bracket: the 2 teams to lose in the Semi's face off for 3rd place after the finals for a final spectacle. Or possibly we could expound upon the idea of a Losers bracket giving 1st round losers an opportunity to play again and work back up through the ranks in a series of 1 match matches etc.
* If you're a team who has potentially 10+ players.. Talk them into building B team and grabbing subs etc to build more teams for this experimental ladle.
* Encourage Sumo'rs to put a team(s) together.. everyone will be guaranteed at least 2 matchups (1st round and losers bracket)
* Any available players who will not be playing can stream (video) multiple matches toward the end of the regular and losers bracket to keep interest all the way to the end of this tournament!

After all, we call the Ladle a tournament and lately it's become more of an event we all attend begrudgingly to pass time while we have nothing better to do.. We can all participate in this idea, building the idea, refining it and once and for all.. Actually committing to something instead of just constantly making observations of how to 'fix' things and making little to no effort to actually follow through. Technically this is a simple plan and very attainable. I promise you guys.. If we do this, there will be NO regrets and it will be the most fun this community has had in ages.
Vogue
Match Winner

Re: Yes, another one of thxmp's ideas.. "Bracket Experiment!

Post by Vogue »

Snxpflash wrote:Ok, you all know Im an enthusiast and probably overly passionate about this game and its future.
yeah rumors in sdp were you got fired for playing too much tron, also sorry to hear you're still passionate about the ~future~ because lemme tell you somethin fuckboy...

#DEADGAME
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I'm not really involved in ladles anymore, so I don't really have a say concerning the future handling of the brackets, even though I like the idea of giving the teams a slot according to their abilities so their experience lasts a bit longer.

However, as I've said on tron times not so long ago, I wouldn't repeat the mistakes from ladle 18 and just recruit teams for the ladle that usually populate other servers and have them bleed out in the process.

As for Vogue - if the game is dead to you, perhaps you should move on.
Durf
Match Winner

Post by Durf »

This is a good idea imo.

I like the concept of having the public vote for the bracket they want to see.
Though if there was a way to base the brackets on previous ladle wins and/or experience, that is pretty good too.

However, having random brackets has its advantages too.
There is something very fair about it being random that no amount of order or process can replace.
Luck of the draw is the same for all teams
In your example of ww vs rogue, yes I agree it's unfortunate, but at the same time, would it have mattered that much to rogue if they had another match to start with? Put simply, losers will lose, and winners will win either way. Somebody has to be eliminated first; can't be nobody. Or can it?*
On the other hand, consider that the spectators (including losing teams) wish to see a spectacle of a finale.
Sometimes a match like ww vs rogue is needed so that the team with the most potential to beat rogue would meet them for the finals (assuming they won their side of the bracket)...to make for a more entertaining final match.

I think this is a whole lot of good ideas and they could be implemented...but at the same time:
If it isn't broken, don't fix it. (Ladles work as they are, and a change might do more harm than good)

I think this is worth further discussion, perhaps some testing.
Even if the statistics aren't used to determine brackets, I think ranks, previous ladle wins, and other information like total ladle experience would be good to list somewhere; all in one place.

* Perhaps there is a new way to do ladles, one in which a team that loses first round wouldn't be eliminated, but they would play another losing team...to determine overall rank. So each team would play every other team to determine their exact placement out of all the teams.
...just a thought, but it might be too different to consider.