Pickup survey results are up!

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Pickup will be suspended from May 22nd to June 5th

Post by sinewav »

The learning part isn't to hard to tackle. First, we can include a /help argument and allow logged in players to /teach. This has been around for years. Second, it wouldn't be too hard to script a public Fortress server that rotated through a series of helpful tips and definitions displayed in round_console_message. Third, even though most people ignore it, we can construct a colorful, informative MOD for that server. The helpful tips popping up in the console every round might even remind people to be nice and helpful to new players.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Does this help (fifth post)? Perhaps AI or kyle still have the game-friendly version with color codes and everything.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Hmm, been a while since I was on these forums.

Quick scan through gives me the impression that an option config for a challenge match is an excellent idea. A player can initiate a vote of

Code: Select all

/vote include challengefort.cfg
that, if accepted, regulates teams to 6v6/7v7 (7v7 is still fun imho), and randomly promotes one player to captain. The captain principle remains for the purpose of organisation, I think it would help.

I'll mock up a brief script when I'm on paternity leave (within the next two weeks at least), and try it out on my server, and servers of anyone else who is willing.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Now that I think of it, voting for captains would be OK to include. Most pickup players don't even want the captain spot, so having /vote referee available might be helpful. However, I think it is critical to have teams automatically picked between matches, and it should include spectators. (I don't think the scramble function includes specs.)

Here are some forum threads related to this discussion:

Scramble inception thread with the term coined by madmax.

vov mentioning some similar function that can be scripted. Might we have a use for it?

ed's Fortress, which uses the server ladder to pick teams, if those players are authenticated. THIS may be the best idea. It will certainly keep people from playing under alias too often, which because a huge pain-in-the-ass during pickup. I bet we can lean on Crazy Tronners to get a look at the code. I bet one of them has it somewhere.

delinquent wrote:I'll mock up a brief script when I'm on paternity leave...
:stubble: CONGRATULATIONS!
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

sinewav wrote: It will certainly keep people from playing under alias too often, which because a huge pain-in-the-ass during pickup.
Hmm, I'm not so sure. I think the idea of unknown entities can make for some "exciting" games on occasion. Plus, if a relatively new player who is showing some promise is present, what happens? Do they get automatically suspended for the duration, and get a bit pissed off? That kind of sucks, especially if part of the focus here is on allowing for new blood. I would reserve captain spots, however, to players who have whitelisted GIDs. And, perhaps, who are above a certain rank - I.E. whom have played a certain number of pickup matches.
sinewav wrote: :stubble:
Quite apt, I haven't shaved in a month! I feel manlier the closer I get to fatherhood. Oh my, I pity my spawn...

Edit:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1601063091/?tag=051-20
http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/baby-mop
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Oh, congratulations deli!
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

This resulted in a nice giant fort game earlier today, about 25 people populating mega fort in the middle of the day (or night for euros). It died out within an hour but it was still nice to see. Everyone was in that pickup mindset still though, I think Woned was suggesting we could split up into one fort6 game and one tst, while a couple random specs asked people to !add, but I think most people enjoyed that game even though it was a lag shitfest. Keep playing fort dudes!
ogo
Average Program

Post by ogo »

It's 10AM for me and people are playing fort, what is going on?!

This would be unheard of a few weeks ago. I think people had associated fortress with pickup to such an extent that fortress outside of pickup didn't seem to exist, and that's changing now that pickup is down. I'd like to encourage sine.wav and everyone else involved in the development of the pickup alternative to continue getting something finalised, it'd be really great

In my opinion, a regular 6v6 public fortress server is a better alternative to pickup. Megafort can be fun but can get a bit messy - it has it's place but isn't sufficient on its own. But even if we don't get a pickup alternative sorted, a standard 6v6 fortress server is better than how it used to be

Pickup was only competitive because people took it seriously. Maybe if you played with that mindset for public fortress, then the standard would improve. If we all raise our game then we'd have the best of both worlds
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

ogo wrote:a regular 6v6 public fortress server
The problem with 6v6 public fortress is that it's too fragile. Even if you have a fairly crowded server and a few people gotta go, you've got 4v3 all of a sudden and people start doing "winner attacks". In mega fort it'd fluctuate between 5v5 and 9v9 all the time but rarely went below 4v4 so we didn't notice it.

If anything, 7v7 should be better for that reason alone. Also, we've had successful fort tourney with 7v7 - didn't lag (more than usual), was fun, could play proper fort.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

7v7 ok, but 9v9 is a bit much. Have to say tho, I'm loving these crowded servers every day. Pickup schmickup.
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

I really only had a problem on the grind at the start of every round, but there were definitely a few more complaints than there should've been. Wish it was easier for some people to start a second server and split up that amount of players
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Let's consider this idea: How about a Fortress server that responds to the needs of the players? Can we have several different configurations available for players to vote on? Want to switch between 6v6/7v7/15v15 etc...? /vote 7v7. Want to turn the game into 4-Team-Fortress? /vote 4tf. You could even /vote kotf too if you really wanted (assuming the server had the code). This might keep things fresh.

If this sounds interesting I can write up a blueprint for the server.

Another problem we should work out is how to initialize a second game when enough spectators arrive. Granted, a fair percentage are either AFK or simply just want to chat, but maybe there is some way to get people to unseat themselves and move to another server?
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

If you wan't to be an arse about it, you could always use KICK_TO, but I'm not sure people will appreciate that.
Why not just change the default fort configs to allow only one or two specs?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

delinquent wrote:Why not just change the default fort configs to allow only one or two specs?
Because don't like that. They would rather sit in spec talking and waiting for an opportunity to play with their mates rather than play in anther server. I know it's weird. AoT servers have only 1-2 spec slots if they have any at all, so I agree with your idea.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Maybe it's a good idea to use KICK_TO after two minutes of inactivity?