AMERICA vs EUROPE: RESULTS!

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Re: America VS Europe: All-Stars 2014

Post by Gonzap »

we can do it tronny style, just like sine.wav did
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Yeah, that sounds good.

Volunteers for making & handling the voting thread? Organising the other stuff is already enough for me.
wap
Round Winner

Post by wap »

I'll do that
kult

Post by kult »

all this sounds good, can be a fun tournament
ImageImageImageImage
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Let me see if I understand.

If you want to play the AVE: All-Stars, first sign up on the Challenge Board. Anyone can vote in the voting thread or just people who signed up? Votes can be changed right up until the cutoff. At that time, the thread is totaled using the (3-2-1) scoring and winners are finalized, probably a week before the event?

Sound right?
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

no no, make the vote anonymous, we don't want it to be sooo much of a popularity contest. I know people with lots of friends will have more votes, but making it anonymous we lower that situation a bit. Also, I think the players who sign up should vote, and under a recognizable name. No aliases allowed, because it doesn't make sense to sign up for something if nobody knows who you are. Also we would avoid people with multiple accounts to vote more than once.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Maybe people should choose the positions they wanna play and then we vote among those positions.

Either

center,
attacker,
sweeper,
defender

Or attacker,
sweeper,
defender
Rudycantfail
Average Program

Post by Rudycantfail »

Hoax wrote:Yeah the last one was a tie with the USA having more points overall though, iirc had a bbq instead and Flex had a really high ping which skewed it a little
Forum thread, Wiki
Both US and NA are mentioned and Rudy is on the list but I don't think he played
Yea I played last time, it started off as US vs. EU but the competition got changed to NA vs. EU later on.
Best way to go about voting imo is to have players nominate themselves and what position they would like to play in a subforum, then those who are nominated vote on who should be on the team. Thats what we did last time and it wasn't anonymous. Not sure how you guys could control who votes and make it anonymous at the same time. I see people creating loads of smurfs just to vote themselves into the game if we don't.
-Just another fortress nerd.
wap
Round Winner

Post by wap »

I made a quick wiki so people can sign up while this discussion takes place:

http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/AVE2014

Liz if you could add this to the first post and let the title say sign-ups are open

Edit: lol I'm bad at this, can someone fix it so that the names appear under each other? Also feel free to improve the whole thing in other ways
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Hoax wrote:Both US and NA are mentioned
Well, it was always North America. iirc "US" was used because it's more obvious than "NA" (which is an ambiguous acronym and not as obvious). In retrospect, "NA" should have been used.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

I added position sections and made the names appear under each other.

To the people who already signed up: Go back on the wiki and put your name under the correct position.
kite
Average Program

Post by kite »

owned wrote:I added position sections and made the names appear under each other.

To the people who already signed up: Go back on the wiki and put your name under the correct position.
I set up some templates for player sign ups, they're listed on the wiki page. If you don't want to use them just delete them.
wap
Round Winner

Post by wap »

I think it's better to leave the positions out of the sign-up. If people only vote for players on a specific position, your only chance to play is to win in that category, whereas if the positions aren't mentioned, players have the chance to compete in multiple categories. And it's better to play on a position that's not your first choice than to not play at all.
Vogue
Match Winner

Re: America VS Europe: Nominations are open!

Post by Vogue »

Added.

Lets remember to keep this simple, just because my great grandfather is 1/3 american doesn't mean I should play for NA.
Vogue
Match Winner

Re: America VS Europe: Nominations are open!

Post by Vogue »

Next on the agenda:
- Deciding which servers to use, the best of each region
- Commentating, hoping sinewav and some other good candidate will volunteer
- Streaming