Shut the hell up.

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

takburger
Match Winner

Re: Shut the hell up.

Post by takburger »

Yes you should create an IRC channel #PickupAnonyms to motivate each other to not !add :)
Gazelle
Match Winner

Post by Gazelle »

I love how some of you say "pickup is very serious"

Really because the actions of others prove otherwise.

Which is the very reason you all are having this discussion now..

Pickup isnt serious anymore, yes it is intendedto be... But its not..

I have no problem with following the majority of the rules, and i've had countless debates with admins about some of them, because i felt some people didnt deserve to be banned for being a second quick on the trigger..

But this was about people talking during pickups.. Rits, you cant say you are any better, i've seen you countless times talk non stop, or either insult others..

Half of the pickup community is absurdly rude, and when people dont do as they please, they rage. Its pathetic. I for one dont even play the game anymore mainly because of this.

You push people away, then you wonder why the game is dying or complain that your pickups arent as serious.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Gazelle wrote:Pickup isnt serious anymore, yes it is intendedto be... But its not..
Perfect. If this is the case then let's scrap pickup. It obviously isn't serving its intended purpose and is now a detriment.
Overrated
Match Winner

Post by Overrated »

Although the quality isn't always the best, I find tst a LOT more entertaining and seriously competitive than fort6 or kotf3. Yesterday I had 3 tst matches, two were blow outs (damn you wap!), but the other one was very intense. So maybe we should scrap the fort option and let tst be there for the people who want serious and intense matches.
BRAWL dead. RIP.

Fort is like a box of knives, you never know when you're going to be cut.
kite
Average Program

Post by kite »

Or maybe we could just shut up and play pickup.
bilbo baggins
Round Winner

Post by bilbo baggins »

isn't there a /team button so people can chat to other spectators therefore not having to disrupt the picking process since the captains cant see it?

by gum bilbo old chum, you've cracked the case! :o
kite
Average Program

Post by kite »

bilbo baggins wrote:isn't there a /team button so people can chat to other spectators therefore not having to disrupt the picking process since the captains cant see it?
That's the problem though bilbo, the pickup server already has settings that force spectators to use the spectator chat by default. You have to type /shout to even speak in the public chat as a spec.
Venijn
Round Winner

Post by Venijn »

Generally speaking, if you can speak English perfectly fine, and there are many people who don't speak French (yes, it's usually you guys) I find is very frustrating when about 5 players (out of like 8 players) have a conversation in French, clearly excluding the rest.

I mean I can't say don't chat, but I consider it poor netiquette, and pretty ignorant.

That thought applies to any server, but again, I'm not saying people can't speak in their own language.
Click. Image
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

As a more active player I didn't care about players chatting in languages I didn't understand as long as they weren't playing significantly worse because of being distracted. In an ideal world we'd certainly all speak the same language (or every language there is), but I think one has to take into account that not everyone is able to speak English in the first place due to other circumstances including money, education systems and time, so it's not always lack of respect and I don't judge anyone for that. When you're abroad you also have situations where you wish that someone with the same language would be there to talk to so you're feeling less isolated and can say things a little more 'carelessly', from my experience at least. I'm gonna spend a month in Romania soon, and have virtually no idea if I can put up with that language if I start learning it now.
Vogue
Match Winner

Post by Vogue »

Pickup bot should randomize teams automatically to avoid the tedious picking phase. Yeah, you might get imbalanced teams sometimes but let's not pretend that doesn't already happen. Aside from that, we should really get rid of pickup like sinewav said to get public servers populated again. Pompous pepsi and his ego regarding pickup won't let that happen, though.
ogo
Average Program

Post by ogo »

Is pickup in the hands of the community or does it belong to someone who set it up? If possible, I think we should have a vote to remove them or not
woof
Round Winner

Post by woof »

I agree that the issue shouldn't have arisen; however, rather than deal with it in an angry way its probably best to simply mute them ;D
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I think people are misunderstanding the point. It not just that certain players are chatting and causing a distraction, it is that they sacrifice playing to do so. Chatbots and careless end-of-round mazing would not be tolerated by your teammates in Ladle and should not be tolerated in pickup.

Some of you were not around in the MegaFort days so you might not understand why pickup exists in the first place. It was an opportunity for serious players to have serious games away from all the n00bs, non-grinders, trolls, team-killers, and shuffle-warriors. Don't get me wrong, pickup is still better than the ridiculous 9v9 or 15v15 games of old, but the atmosphere is far from serious and is probably doing the community more harm then good in the long run.

Of course, we could always make a new pickup channel for serious players who want to get away from today's shitty pickup games.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

the "unhealthy" pickup is still the most played game on tron. The people who like it will keep playing
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

orion wrote:...pickup is still the most played game on tron.
Ok, that just isn't true at all. "Most played" is probably Fast Track or Yellow Submarine or one of those. Definitely not pickup.