2nd FFA, Signups open!!! March 23 (sun)

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

DaGarBBaGeMAN
Core Dumper

Re: 2nd FFA, Signups open!!! March 23 (sun)

Post by DaGarBBaGeMAN »

bilbo baggins wrote:
DaGarBBaGeMAN wrote:
theo wrote:Ok, people are still confused by the date.

I set up a countdown. You can find it here : http://ladle.fr3.phx.be/ffa02_countdown.txt
This countdown better be off by at least one hour, or I can't make it. Why the hell would you start a tourney that late? Why would you even start one that doesn't start at ladle time (which everyone is familiar with)? There's many ppl on grids right now, expecting the event the start in half an hour. This is ridiculous.
technically it did start at ladle time, but there weren't enough teams to merit a first round so the first round is the 1/4 finals
No, according to theo's timer it's starting around the semi's time for ladle. That's why I said it better be at least an hour off, because then it would be starting at the 1/4 finals time for ladle (which is at least slightly understandable, for the reason you mentioned)

UPDATE: Half my team won't be able to show, if theo's timer is accurate.
Image -made by az95

theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Here is the actual situation :
[*]We're using ladle timer templates. Templates have to be switched in April and November according to the wiki comments. We're still in march so we kept sumer time.
[*] But (and I did not think about it before chrisd brought it here) USA (and other American countries) switch earlier since 2007.

Which makes it start later than ladle for US people.

I removed the other table, it just adds to confusion.

It's a little late to change the time again. But if you can gather your team and your opponent team, I guess you can start earlier.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

19:30 is the time for Ladle Quarters, not Semis.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

If anyone knows an alternative way to contact any members of my team, could they do so?
We are meeting in IRC at 19:00 - channel #ffateam

My team-members are as follows:
Aiphaton
Ritsuka
Orly?
Pike
Materia
Lowkey
Core Dumper

Post by Lowkey »

Thanks for hosting was a good run imo looks like most of the teams participated with enough people was fun. gz to jericho's team gms all

Theo that server bro big old 0! wasnt the worst but also random huge freezes is no fun XD

Hope yo can get the picking thing situated and do this again.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Thanks everyone for the patience and the games.

Anyone can feel free to take over the host and do whatever they want. I'm not gonna take care of such thing anymore.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I'll take that over. I'll be changing the format, although I'm open to suggestions and criticisms.

The next FFA will take place sometime around the start of Autumn, unless the general consensus is that it should happen at a different time.
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Like tak I would like to thank everyone that took part to the tournament. It has been far for perfection, but at least most people seemed to enjoy it. I certainly do. Nanu's team was great. Too bad I weighted them down.

Ok so, if there is something I learned from NGO's involvement, is that after each event, it's nice to draw a picture of what went well and what went bad. In performance management it's called Benefits & Concerns.

Here we go :
Benefits: (everything that went well)
[*] Good attendance
[*] People seemed enjoying it after all
[*] I got pretty good feedback on the countdown. Regardless of the time confusion.
Concerns: (What could be better. No negative thoughts. Only positive improvements)
[*] We need a better picking system. I was thinking about an irc bot. Sine proposed a Web interface.
[*] Never ever organize a tournament in March. 1st Sunday is for ladle. After that USA uses sumer time while EU still uses winter time. This confuse many people (including myself). Same goes for the last week of October.
[*] 3 months might be too early to start registrations. People forget and don't show. Maybe a 1 month notice would be enough.

Feel free to add your B&C's.

Loki: Ok the server wasn't great. It would have been a surprise if anything actually went right in this tournament.

As for the next time, as tak said, I don't think I'll try something like that again. Who knows? Maybe I'll have forgotten and I'll be naive and try again.

GL with that deli. I hope you will be more successful than we have been.

Last note : I've never had anything to do in this tournament before yesterday. The only reason I don't regret spending so much time in it is because I like tak, and I couldn't let him handle everything there was left to do alone.
Gonzap
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Gonzap »

yo where's the data about the results/teams etc.? I wanted to check jericho's team and the brackets, how it ended and so.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

I have modified the wiki page to reflect how I plan to host the next FFA tournament. Feel free to let me know what you think should change.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Oh you guys, stop with the negativity. "I'll never do this again, hur dur." RELAX. This is an interesting challenge. Let us all put our heads together and come up with answers to the problems. I had a lot of fun and I personally believe the FFA has an important place in the future of Fortress (and other games in Armagetron).

@delinquent: I think we can do this without full randomization. I think the idea of captains picking players is the most attractive thing about FFA. This distributes the talent around. I wouldn't play FFA if it was totally random.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Gonzap wrote:yo where's the data about the results/teams etc.? I wanted to check jericho's team and the brackets, how it ended and so.
Well apparently someone deleted everything, fortunately there are previous version accessible on the wiki engine.

Final brackets:
http://i.gyazo.com/fe66d512984179b79104f996ae2102b9.png

Jericho's team that played was:

Jericho, mr, vein, newbie, wolf,tak (we missed cookie and magic so we had newbie and vein to sub).

Sine, yes it is an important tournament, I'm just not gonna involve myself into hosting anything. Thats not complaint, just a statement so other can step up.

Delinquent: usually ones leave the wiki for a week with old information before removing everything.
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Gonzap wrote:yo where's the data about the results/teams etc.? I wanted to check jericho's team and the brackets, how it ended and so.
It's now in the results page.

Deli, please don't remove information without making a copy first.

@sine: The B&C's was the post constructive thing I could have done. I'm not planning to doing it again (yet) but I offer some feedback to anyone else willing to step up.
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

sinewav wrote: I think we can do this without full randomization. I think the idea of captains picking players is the most attractive thing about FFA. This distributes the talent around. I wouldn't play FFA if it was totally random.

Let me have a think over on this. I may have a solution.
chrisd
Round Winner

Post by chrisd »

theo wrote:[*] Never ever organize a tournament in March. 1st Sunday is for ladle. After that USA uses sumer time while EU still uses winter time. This confuse many people (including myself). Same goes for the last week of October.
Ha ha! Well, being aware of these issues beforehand allows one to have a table of starting times that is correct for everybody. Perfereable one would have some kind of macro that uses the UCT starting time as input and then outputs all the rest correctly.