2nd FFA, Signups open!!! March 23 (sun)

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

theo
Round Winner

Re: 2nd FFA, Signups open!!! March 23 (sun)

Post by theo »

That's ok. There are too many captains anyway.

I removed you from the captain list.
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

delinquent wrote:I signed up as a captain, and added two servers. They are... as permanent as I can make them, although I may only turn them on for FFA.

Also, when captains expected to attend the IRC meeting?
In 2 hours (21:00 UTC)
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

someone sign me up lol
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Mkay1 wrote:someone sign me up lol
done
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Okay, Picking phase got some issues, it is good to see how it goes so we'll set some stuff for that not to happen again next time.

Thank you theocrite for your great help at this.

Thank you to the captains who showed up for the picking phase, and also to the captains who agreed to sub for captains who did not show up.

Please when you sign up as a captain, read rules, show up the day it is supposed to happen (and if you don't know when, ask). So all who were not here cannot complain, only the one who were there can complain.

Brackets up : http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/FFA#Brackets
Lowkey
Core Dumper

Post by Lowkey »

It's honestly just sad you changed the rules at the end and ruined the whole thing.
Also the fact the like 5 of the other people there agreed to my complaint you couldn't do anything right yeah. sad you ruined a good thing
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

Lowkey wrote:It's honestly just sad you changed the rules at the end and ruined the whole thing.
Also the fact the like 5 of the other people there agreed to my complaint you couldn't do anything right yeah. sad you ruined a good thing
Yeah well I was not able to count how many people agreed on what, the chat was flooded with nonsense. I just took a decision quickly so we could end picking faster. And it still took an hour.

Also, I don't think 1 player make a whole even ruined. Still I agree it could have been better. Next time.
Lowkey
Core Dumper

Post by Lowkey »

Right except it was a player i asked for from the very begining. so ofcourse it was fair that the second my turn was passed you would open it up and give dgm that person sucha good choice. as for the flooding of the chat. disagree some how the rest of us knew what was going on. but sure next. gl with that one too.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

:) Cool teams! Can't wait.
theo
Round Winner

Post by theo »

Yes lowkey, we can all agree that this could have been better.

Also I know we're not really clever, but you told this once in the pad chat, once in irc, then you removed your server from the wiki and then you posted here. I think that even us could understand that you were upset.

Now, as tak explained, it was pretty messy, there was a lot of noise. People kept speaking, most of the time for now reason (to ask a question that already got an answer or just to chat), we had a limited amount of time (people had to leave soon, other people were about to rq).

To me all the teams look nice. It's sad that you chose not to play it. But that's your call.

Wasn't an easy job, but I think we have the material to have a nice tournament now.

Maybe next time we'll perform better. Or maybe someone else will do better.

Spending hours and hours to try to get something working (more or less), not getting a single "thank you" (not that I was expecting it, I'm not complaining), and then getting spit in the face (that I wasn't expecting). Maybe I'll pass next time.
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

Was bummed that I couldn't make this. It looks like it will be pretty competitive based on the rosters of each team.

I'm not sure what happened with the team picking, however I noticed that you were picking the teams on a google-doc-like program. Next time maybe make it so only captains can join and only an "admin" can make changes to the page.
Lowkey
Core Dumper

Post by Lowkey »

Actually Theo if you look at page one i was the first one to thank tak in advance for getting this started. And considering the way you both handled the situation theo i felt maybe you guys didn't get the point. Plus i didn't even wanna captain you needed someone so i came and to get that kind of bullshit outcome you should have known i wasn't gonna let it go. something i was waiting to participate in was completely ruined for me because i wanted to be nice and help make sure you had enough captains.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

theo wrote:Spending hours and hours to try to get something working (more or less), not getting a single "thank you" (not that I was expecting it, I'm not complaining), and then getting spit in the face (that I wasn't expecting). Maybe I'll pass next time.
I'm sure your efforts are appreciated by many theo and please note that usually people say thankyou after tournaments have taken place. Hopefully lessons will be learnt and issues will be fixed for the next time this tournament takes place (assuming it does take place).
Playing since December 2006
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Since we are discussing it, I think we should explore what went wrong and how to do it better. There are lots of talented people here. I might even be inspired to write a web-based tool to help pick teams. So what exactly happened? Where did the process break down?

I have a vision of a small tool that works like a turn-based strategy game. Captains login, then the program guides them through the picking process, one at a time. Would this be something hard to create?

I think FFA is a really cool tournament and I hope we can have many more of them.

Theo, don't get upset! Let us use this as an opportunity to create a better system. It is obvious the interest is there and will continue as long as mistakes are not repeated.
Lowkey
Core Dumper

Post by Lowkey »

sine.wav said
I think FFA is a really cool tournament and I hope we can have many more of them.
+1 thats why i am annoyed by what happened.
sine.wav said
Theo, don't get upset! Let us use this as an opportunity to create a better system. It is obvious the interest is there and will continue as long as mistakes are not repeated.
I would like to see this happen as well. It's clear if people didn't like the tourney they wouldn't be upset that things didn't run smoothly. :)