tronic school

A place for threads related to tournaments and the like, and things related too.

Moderator: Light

Outside Corner Grinder

tronic school

Post by 2020 »

I'm going back into education. I'd like to pick up where I left it, which was in 2008 when I introduced my classes to Fortress -- the results were incredible. It was the greatest proof of teamwork that I have witnessed in my decade of teaching.

Before playing, I showed the kids a video of the game, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa8Bt-Na02k, and it meant nothing to them. After they played for 5-10 minutes, and we sorted out all the technical hitches, I showed a losing team the video again. Within 2 mins they were outflanking the opponent. It proved teamwork. Priceless. Absolutely priceless. A step-change in learning, not only as team-mates, but also their engagement with me, the teacher-coach. I was able to help them win.

In 2012, I came up with some new financial protocols, pure p2p protocols which might enable an alternative economics. This is not the place to into them, and I wanted to bring it to the community in terms of money to finance it. It's been two years, and I haven't generated enough interest to kick-start it. Sorry folks. I'd like to put in $10k to take this game to the next level. I don't have it.

So, here I am, back into education. There are a few ways of playing together, and I'd like to know if there are any players out there who are interested. I know Z-man set up the first one, but I will need reminders. The ideas orbit the following:
  • school-only server list
  • sponsorship of a tournament -- eg Redbull
  • crowd-funding prize-money seed
The prize-money operates on a giving-it-forward entrance fee of $1 (or$10 if we run with an adult version). That is, each competition should pay for itself, or rather, the next one. It's like a domino effect: the initial prize-money (from a sponsor like Redbull or from crowd-funding ourselves) is the first domino.

If any of that resonates, let's see if we can pull something together.

(https://plus.google.com/108030171338144 ... Amu6dGL9ih)
Attachments
the beautiful game
the beautiful game
hold the line
Ritsuka
Round Winner

Re: tronic school

Post by Ritsuka »

Sign me up.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Look at all the bickering we have ALREADY about ladles. You don't think once money from the participants is involved it won't become even more of a shit show?? An it seems likely that a large amount of self-interest will be imposed by those "with the most power". Don't forget about collusion where teams throw the match for a small stake!!!

Plus no "noob teams" would show up (because its a waste of money) thus drastically reducing the pot/team pool.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Mkay1 wrote:Look at all the bickering we have ALREADY about ladles.
Mkay, 2020 is trying to set up something independent of our current system, but will ultimately benefit all of Armagetron. It really has little to do with our Ladle. He has his own model that is based on using the game as a tool for education for a completely different community.

I'll do my best to support it. I have very little funds or time to contribute, but I will do what I can.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

sinewav wrote:
Mkay1 wrote:Look at all the bickering we have ALREADY about ladles.
Mkay, 2020 is trying to set up something independent of our current system, but will ultimately benefit all of Armagetron. It really has little to do with our Ladle. He has his own model that is based on using the game as a tool for education for a completely different community.

I'll do my best to support it. I have very little funds or time to contribute, but I will do what I can.
Also, someone won a bitcoin recently and nobody made a fuss all said: wow gg
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

I would be so for this. In a way, this game could easily capture more of a crowd of people, the problem is that its never been commercially advertised other than outside of our small internet corner.

I would like to try the sponsorship with redbull etc. Having tron Be a Serious Professional game like League of Legends, CoD etc would be amazing. 2020 is right, it's time to take tron to the next level

Idk how much funding I can contribute (10k is a stretch for me at 19 :p) But collectively, maybe we could pull something together.

Given that this was successful, Then tournaments would be self sustaining. Starting out as a crowd funding program, then shoot for a sponsorship. Of course as I said, we would need to advertise a lot to promote the game, I doubt 100 active players is enough to get sponsored (if we have even that).

All I can say is yes yes yes. :)
ImageImageImageImageImage